Suboxone shortage COVID 19

Will methadone and buprenorphine together cause withdrawal? How do I stop precipitated withdrawal? What dose of buprenorphine is best? Do I have to be in withdrawal to start Suboxone?
JtAlmond
New Poster
New Poster

Suboxone shortage COVID 19

Post by JtAlmond » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:15 am

There will undoubtedly be a hassle getting your suboxone in the foreseeable future. The raw materials worker, the drug manufacturing workers, the transport workers, the wholesalers, on down to your prescriber are in a tight spot and will be for some time due to the COVID 19 global pandemic. The FDA announced one drug is already low but the agency did not say which one. They are not legally bound to share all info with the public. Sub is an accepted drug and its on the WHO List of Essential Drugs however it has only complimentary status which means it lacks a priority or that it can be overlooked if stocks are exhausted. I'd say its time to conserve, or to wean down to avoid problems. One could go to their pharmacy with a script and have to wait a considerable time to get the prescription filled. Its not your doctor or the pharmacys fault. Expect a hassle.

docm2
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Re: Suboxone shortage COVID 19

Post by docm2 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:02 am

DEA and SAMHSA have both come out with statements that they do not anticipate shortages of methadone and buprenorphine products.
However, I continue to advise people to stockpile at least a weeks worth and preferably a months.
Amazes and befuddles me that someone on 16 mg a day for 4 years and they still don't have any saved.
A drug that has been running into shortages is Adderall, and a number of generics, but these were pre COVID 19 problems.