new on here and getting ready to start suboxone

Will methadone and buprenorphine together cause withdrawal? How do I stop precipitated withdrawal? What dose of buprenorphine is best? Do I have to be in withdrawal to start Suboxone?
tracker17
One Month or More
One Month or More

new on here and getting ready to start suboxone

Post by tracker17 » Fri May 04, 2018 12:04 am

I have been taking 60 to 70 mgs of hydrocodone or oxycodone (whatever I find at the time) and met with dr assistant today and have bloodwork tomorrow to start suboxone next week. I have been taking the meds for about 8 years now. My question is can I take anything to help me get through the early stage of withdrawals before I start on the suboxone? :?: :?:

Anonymouse
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: new on here and getting ready to start suboxone

Post by Anonymouse » Fri May 04, 2018 7:31 am

Hello Tracker
Welcome to the forum :)
Tomorrow it will be three weeks for me on buprenorohine naloxone medication, so I’m fairly new to all of it too.

Sounds like we had about the same tolerance and used the same drugs. I was taking about 60/70m to 80/90m of Vicodin or percoset, whichever was available and I always needed to take more Vicodin than Percocet.

I’m not sure what approaches your doctor or clinic are taking in your situation.

For me, I wasn’t clean when I was prescribed my buprenorohine Naloxone medication. My doctor told me to wait until I was in moderate withdrawal to take my first dose. There is a scale we can use for this, it’s called Cows, sorry I don’t have a link for you but it plays well in an internet search. I took my last Vicodin 10 at 3:30 am and checking my notes, I took my first dose of buprenorohine naloxone medication at about 11:00 the following day, so about 7.5 hrs wait. Everyone is different, and we don’t want the precipitated withdrawal so only you can decide I think.

When I did take my first buprenorohine naloxone dose, I took half of a quarter piece from an 8m pill to start. I swear I literally felt the withdrawal leave me from my head to my toes. It is an amazing medication and I am so very glad to finally have the benefit of taking it under doctor supervision.

My doctor prescribed me a medication called clonodine to take a bedtime, but I am a chicken and have never taken it. I didn’t take anything to help me thru the withdrawal but again, everyone is different.

I am so happy for you to be making this life changing decision and I look forward to seeing you around on these board :)
“Truth is treason in an empire of lies.” George Orwell

jennjenn

Post by jennjenn » Fri May 04, 2018 10:34 am

Hey tracker!

I honestly didn’t take anything much at all, I just dug in my claws and stuck it out. My doctor didn’t offer any comfort meds or tell me anything I could take, so I was afraid to take anything because I wasn’t sure what I could take. I wasn’t experienced or familiar with suboxone whatsoever, so I was scared.

I think there’s some medicine that might help you feel a little better, but if you aren’t in withdrawal enough to score on the COWS scale, how will you know when to start your induction.... so that’s what my mind goes to. Maybe some others can offer advice on that, I don’t know what to tell ya for short term that wouldn’t mess with your COWS score other than ibuprofen or something like that :)
Jennifer

rule62

Post by rule62 » Fri May 04, 2018 10:47 am

We always make it out a lot worse than it turns out to be. I was taking more than twice the amount you're taking and although I did feel uncomfortable, knowing the end of withdrawals were coming kept me in check.

It really won't be as bad as your mind is making it out to be. Just do it and you'll be grateful.
Don't take yourself so damn seriously

Ashlee
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Post by Ashlee » Fri May 04, 2018 11:49 am

I'm 100% with Rule on this one, literally took the words right outta my cyber mouth!

If you get really bad while in withdrawal, then take Benadryl, this will help with the runny nose & constant sneezing... As it will also make you drowsy. You're gonna be fine, we know here that withdrawal sucks, but the outcome is so worth it. Keep this saying in mind, "The fall is alot steeper, longer & bigger than the high we get from our DOC." I hope you come back & let us all know how everything goes.

Ash
I may not have all what I want, but thank GOD I know how that I have all that I need.

tracker17
One Month or More
One Month or More

Post by tracker17 » Fri May 11, 2018 11:52 am

Sorry I have not been on here in a week but thanks to all for your advice. My dr changed my induction date til tomorrow morning and I went 38 hours off all meds last Sunday and Monday before I found this out. I did start taking some meds again but only about 25 to 30 mgs a day to get by. The hours with out meds were not as bad as I expected but was not very pleasant either. After making it through those hours I am pretty confident that making it through today won't be as bad. I also have no meds in the house so be very hard to get some to take. I will keep you all posted how it goes. I am so looking forward to getting my life back!!!!!!