Did my induction today!!!

Will methadone and buprenorphine together cause withdrawal? How do I stop precipitated withdrawal? What dose of buprenorphine is best? Do I have to be in withdrawal to start Suboxone?
tracker17
One Month or More
One Month or More

Did my induction today!!!

Post by tracker17 » Sat May 12, 2018 6:30 pm

well I did my induction this morning and I very pretty well so far. I am so proud of myself for finally doing this and taking back control of my life. My dr and counselor are very supportive and make me feel very good about this process. I did get sick to my stomach an hour or so after I took the meds. Is this common when first starting suboxone? I had to get the dissolving pill at 8/2mgs. Working really well so far. I feel so much better about myself today.

Ashlee
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Re: Did my induction today!!!

Post by Ashlee » Sat May 12, 2018 7:43 pm

Welcome to the talkzone, Tracker17. It's great to have you!

To answer your question about the nausea you get an hour after you take your medicine, yes. It's common. I used to get nauseous after I took mine, but I got used to it after a while. I'm sure you will too. In my opinion, it's the naloxone that makes one nauseous. Alot of folks claim that the naloxone gives them headaches as well as the nausea, but not everyone is the same! Hope you come around more often, & I'm sure others will be dropping by to put their two cents in.

Good to have you here & sober!

Ash
I may not have all what I want, but thank GOD I know how that I have all that I need.

tracker17
One Month or More
One Month or More

Post by tracker17 » Sat May 12, 2018 8:20 pm

Ashlee wrote:Welcome to the talkzone, Tracker17. It's great to have you!

To answer your question about the nausea you get an hour after you take your medicine, yes. It's common. I used to get nauseous after I took mine, but I got used to it after a while. I'm sure you will too. In my opinion, it's the naloxone that makes one nauseous. Alot of folks claim that the naloxone gives them headaches as well as the nausea, but not everyone is the same! Hope you come around more often, & I'm sure others will be dropping by to put their two cents in.

Good to have you here & sober!

Ash
thanks for the help. I do have a slight headache too but I have very bad sinuses so it might be that. I am going to try to be on here regularly. I think talking with people that understands the issues is very helpful. I hope maybe I can help someone with what I have be through.

Amy-Work In Progress

Post by Amy-Work In Progress » Sun May 13, 2018 11:04 am

Tracker, I just want to congratulate you for starting recovery!!! You should be proud of yourself! It takes a lot of guts to start this journey, because it is a bit daunting and scary.

I wanted to let you know that if the naloxone seems to be giving you trouble, feel free to spit it out after you've allowed enough time for proper absorption of the buprenorphine. Since buprenorphine cannot be absorbed in the stomach, there's no reason to swallow it versus spitting it out. Your choice!

I do hope you stick around the forum! There are many people who come here with questions. Now that you are an old pro :wink: you have the opportunity to help other opioid addicts.

Amy
Done is better than perfect!

jennjenn

Post by jennjenn » Mon May 14, 2018 2:07 pm

Congrats tracker! Good to hear everything went well!

Now you can look forward to peace of mind and working on your recovery. It’s so hard to work on our recovery with cravings and anxiety, luckily the suboxone takes that away and you just feel normal again. It truly is amazing.
Jennifer

tracker17
One Month or More
One Month or More

Post by tracker17 » Wed May 16, 2018 4:07 pm

Thank you all for the help. I am on day 5 and the nausea is better. The suboxone does work very well and I am very pleased with myself for doing this. Still a little tired after I take it but I guess it will get better also. It is a great thing for those of us that are tired of living the addict life.

Ashlee
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Post by Ashlee » Thu May 17, 2018 1:02 pm

Tracker17,

Have you ever taken Dramamine? I know, I know, it's for motion sickness but when in times of extreme nausea, it really helps me!!! Maybe you oughta give it a try!

It's really great that you made the transition to Suboxone, were here for you if you have any questions or if you simply would like to just talk!

Ash
I may not have all what I want, but thank GOD I know how that I have all that I need.

jameelee31
New Poster
New Poster

Post by jameelee31 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:03 am

What is the process to get started? Im in north alabama amd habe a appt tomorrow at 11am for the counselor?? Im just praying i dont have to wait another week to start..Im already used to suboxone because ive been getting it off the street for a year now to keep me off the pills so I hope thatll make my process quicker though i doubt it. The place im going is a GP clinic and they do accept medicaid for both visits and suboxone so thats good.Im currently 30 hours without and Its killing me lol

Amy-Work In Progress

Post by Amy-Work In Progress » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:17 am

Hi Jameelee!

I hope that your receive a prescription tomorrow, but please don't get your hopes up too high. A visit to the counselor doesn't mean that you'll even be seeing the doctor at this appointment.

Maybe it will be more streamlined though. I wish you well at your appointment tomorrow!

And welcome to suboxforum!

Amy

jennjenn

Post by jennjenn » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:07 am

Hey Jamie!! I have a question? Since you’ve been taking suboxone for an entire year, why did the doctor make you stop and be without like a person would if they were coming off oxycodone? If you’re already taking suboxone and nothing else (no other opiates), it doesn’t make sense to me why you’d be having to suffer to do an induction. Maybe it’s to just make sure you don’t have anything else in your system but a urine screen would tell them that.

At my clinic, if someone has been getting suboxone off the street and doesn’t test positive for any other opiates with just Burprenorphine in their system, they aren’t asked to stop taking it for any amount of time before their doctor appointment. Every clinic and doctor has specific rules and I know there’s sometimes differences but it just seems pointless to make you go 30 hours without suboxone unless you were still mixing opiates in there occasionally..... now if that were the case I could totally understand.

Regardless good luck and I hope you don’t have to wait much longer!!

Edit... I went bk and reread your post Jamie and I guess you haven’t really had the appointment yet. That makes more sense now, sorry! I’m scattered today. But I don’t think you should stop taking your medicine. I think you should just keep doing what you’ve been doing and when you see the doctor you can explain that you’re already on Burprenorphine. I don’t think he’d make ya stop taking it........ I could be wrong though and it may be different there.
Jennifer

Amy-Work In Progress

Post by Amy-Work In Progress » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:00 pm

Jamee mentioned getting it off the street for the past year and it seems like she may be all out at this point. I guess she might have to get more off the street if she didn't get her script today.

How did it go Jameelee?

Amy

jennjenn

Post by jennjenn » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:32 am

Ohhhhh ok now that makes sense!

I told ya I was scatter brained :)
Jennifer

Amy-Work In Progress

Post by Amy-Work In Progress » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:12 am

jennjenn wrote:Ohhhhh ok now that makes sense!

I told ya I was scatter brained :)

:D

Laurence
Average Poster
Average Poster

Post by Laurence » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:05 pm

Me too!!! I went in a basket case and walked out a new man. For 11 years I’ve been on mscontin and hydrocodone, needless to say after two days without I was hurting. Ten minutes later I felt great, a somewhat unpleasant buzz but that’s a small price to pay. Question, my doctor says this is a long term process. How long? And any tips on making this journey end as soon as possible?

jennjenn

Post by jennjenn » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:11 am

Hey Laurence!

It is recommended to be take Burprenorphine for at least a year. That year will give you time, with a quiet mind since the cravings are removed, to work on your recovery. Seeing an addiction counselor, going to some type of meetings that fit you personally and just time to be away from opiates. It’s also becoming more acceptable that this treatment be long term for those that need it possibly for life.
Jennifer

Amy-Work In Progress

Post by Amy-Work In Progress » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:42 pm

Hi Laurence!

You didn't actually say that you are on buprenorphine for addiction, but I've assumed that before and then found out that people are taking it for pain. So I just want to clarify that you are an addict.

Jen is absolutely correct! Research outcomes are showing that stopping buprenorphine at a year or earlier is not advised. That is because relapse rates are shown to be the same at one year as they were before you started. In other words, and also being shown through research, you need enough time on the medication to work on your recovery and change your life! I'm starting to see recommendations of at least two years. But that is only if you are working actively on your recovery. You should stay on longer if you aren't doing addiction therapy, group therapy, support meetings, etc.

I hope this helps clarify your question.

Amy

Laurence
Average Poster
Average Poster

Post by Laurence » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:46 am

Thank you! And not to be misunderstood I was taking the morphine and hydrocodone for over 11 years....I figured the addiction was self evident. I’ve been in pain since a string of spinal surgeries after I retired from the army. They stopped helping with pain and I only took them not to withdrawal from opiates on top of it. The suboxone seems to be great for both. I feel 100% better, I just don’t like the dull buzz so it’s nothing I’d like to be on for life.....even if I’m not a young man any longer. Thanks for the advice. I’ve been going to groups for quite a while already but they alone weren’t giving me the courage to stop refilling my scripts. I got my monthly package from the doc two days ago......and returned it to sender, something that was impossible a week ago. Where I’m at is far from ideal but far better than a few days ago. Thanx all!!

keith227
Average Poster
Average Poster

Post by keith227 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:24 pm

The buzz will go away after a while as your body gets acclimated to it. Or you could try lowering your dose and see if you still feel well and feel no WD symptoms or cravings, so that you can minimize any side effects of the sub. But any sub side effects are way better than what hydrocodones acetaminophen does to your liver.

Laurence
Average Poster
Average Poster

Post by Laurence » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:16 am

Thank you kieth, the doc acrualky increased the dose from 4 to 6mg 3x/daily, but they are in 2mg doses so I’ve been taking one every few hours and it’s working out great. I usually end up taking 6-10 mg in total daily. I feel I was more physically dependent than a total addict and my biggest fear is swapping one for another. I never abused my pain meds but took them close to 12 years, the last few only because I didn’t want to go through withdrawals. I’m trying to do the same with the suboxone. The stuff is wonderful as I haven’t had any now and it’s been three weeks without painmeds, other than the suboxone. I feel I will soon be able to just ween-off the soboxone, and have an appt next week and I plan on talking to the doc about it. I am sixty years old, and don’t see myself taking street drugs and have no access to prescriptions other than my pcm, who is the one who thought I’d be a great candidate for suboxone in the first place.

Laurence
Average Poster
Average Poster

Post by Laurence » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:17 am

Excuse the misspellings. I don’t have my glasses on