new ads

Items of interest from my practice and academia, and political or regulatory information about buprenorphine and addiction. If you have something that you would like me to address, send me an e-mail.
suboxdoc
Site Admin
Site Admin

new ads

Post by suboxdoc » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:45 pm

Google is encouraging people who use their ads to allow them to place them automatically, in areas of the web page of their choosing. Basically, Google provides a small piece of code that goes in the header of the web site, and their computers do the rest.

They do not collect any personal information, but as with almost all other web sites, a 'cookie' on your phone or computer is used to select the ad they show you. So if you search for hondas, you're likely to get honda ads. There are apps and programs that block cookies, and/or you can set browsers to NOT accept cookies. If you do that, though, your computer won't remember anything from one visit to the next - for example login information or sites visited.

Today when I visited this forum there was a huge ad at the top of the page. I don't like them to be that intrusive. Over time, I will have an opportunity to adjust where the ads show up.

Meanwhile I keep doing small tweaks to the site. You may notice the new urls now, that reflect the content of the page. That is SUPPOSED to help move the site up in search rankings, but we will see. I might make some small changes to the design at some point too. One problem is that about half of the time when I make changes, the site crashes, because of conflicts with modifications that I've made over the years. For example I tried to add an feature where readers could get RSS feeds from every topic. That feature was available on the old forum. I couldn't get it to work, though, and I don't think many people use 'newsreaders' these days, so it wasn't a big deal.

Thanks for your patience!!

Amy-Work In Progress

Re: new ads

Post by Amy-Work In Progress » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:09 pm

Thank YOU, Dr. J., for doing everything you do to keep our site functional and convenient!

I know very little about what it takes to do so, but I know that it takes near constant vigilance and lots of money. Don't think that we don't appreciate it just because we don't often show our gratitude.

Amy
Done is better than perfect!

jennjenn

Post by jennjenn » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:26 am

My ads are always what I search for online like Macy’s or Chewy. I’m hoping that means I’ve accepted the cookies, because most (not all though) of the ads are things I’m interested in and have used.
Jennifer

suboxdoc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by suboxdoc » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:28 pm

All of the major browsers (Chrome, Explorer, Firefox, Safari, etc) accept cookies as their default setting, so you probably do. If you want to check, go to the top right of your browser page and click to open 'settings' (it may be called 'options' in some browsers), and if using Chrome, select 'advanced', and then 'privacy and security'. It may be somewhere similar in other browsers... but then you can look at the cookies you've picked up, delete them, block them, etc. Each browser has a button in the general area that clears all of your cookies - which basically removes any history of your visits, preferences at the site, etc.

Some people don't like advertisers knowing their preferences and habits, but as you suggested, there are positives about getting ads for the things you like, and not for things you never use. Many commerce sites require cookies these days, as do news sites that require an account or password.

As an FYI, I just added SSL to the forum - which adds a layer of security to the information as it passes from your computer to nodes on the internet. We don't exchange any financial data so it isn't a huge issue, but it might help the site perform better in searches. Without SSL, it is easier for a hacker to get between your computer and the internet, or to grab information as it passes from one part of the internet to another. But everyone here uses an alias, so the best a hacker could do (before the SSL was added) was to connect someone's post to their email address. Now, that would be much more difficult.