PAWS depression - how long?

Maybe your Recovery was 'all your own'; you didn't use a 'program' but rather found your own solution. Tell us about it.
timothycrace
New Poster
New Poster

PAWS depression - how long?

Post by timothycrace » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:18 pm

Hey everyone,

I used sub for about 5-6 years taking around 2mg a day sometimes more. I also quit as unscientifically last December, so that makes a year. I’ve had no problem avoiding opioids but I have been seriously struggling with depression, first of my life, and it seems to me that it might be a symptom of PAWS. Clouded thinking, anxiety are also present.

Anyone else have this experience? If so how long until you felt better? I’ve been exercising regularly and it seems to help, but I’d like to get back to semi normal and soon. I’m concerned because of the length of time I used sub and am worried that would affect the longevity of post acute withdrawal symptoms.

Thanks!

Amy-Work In Progress

Re: PAWS depression - how long?

Post by Amy-Work In Progress » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:42 pm

Hi Timothy,

What kind of work did you do on your recovery besides taking your daily medication? What have you learned about yourself, your triggers, what might have led you to addiction?

More often than not the susceptibility to addiction involves our own mental health, not just the substance we are addicted to. It's also not abnormal for adults to develop depression at some point in their lives. I became depressed in 2016 while on a steady dose of buprenorphine. I'm thankful that I didn't assume that my depression was caused by being on buprenorphine (which some people claim). Because then I wouldn't have gotten to the root cause of the depression.

PAWS is a real phenomenon, so please don't think that I am discounting that your depression may be caused by it. I just want to urge you to look at other aspects of your life to make sure that you aren't missing a mental health cause to your depression. I don't know how long PAWS can last. I imagine that it is different for different people.

It's obvious that you aren't taking your depression lightly since you have started an exercise program to combat it. You should be proud of yourself for taking that step. Maybe adding therapy would also be helpful for you. If it doesn't help, at least you tried it.

I didn't start to get better from my depression until I started taking Wellbutrin. A lack of motivation was part of my depression and Wellbutrin was really helpful in that area. I hope that you can find something that works for you as well!

Please keep us updated on how you're doing!

Amy
Done is better than perfect!