after surgery pain control

Can I have anesthesia on buprenorphine or methadone? Will I get enough pain medication? Will I have recall during surgery?
sleepysleepperson
New Poster
New Poster

after surgery pain control

Post by sleepysleepperson » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:57 am

Hello, I was wondering if some have had lets say a knee replacement or achilles repair and you have been on 24mg buprenorphine just over 10 years. I have only switched from that for 3 months back in 2016 though had broken my neck. However it just so happens that the 2 surgeries I have been putting off I am finally going to be able to do and I know 1 of the surgeries will be a piece of cake and advil and tylenol will be fine though the 2nd surgery I will more than likely switch to a narcotic for 2 and max of 3 months then switch back to the buprenorphine. Sorry I am dragging this out but I don't sleep much and tend to ramble, lol. My question is have you ever done that and were you cool with it? Also let me throw in my sub doc I currently have is the 2nd one I have had in 10 years and he is ok with it as it is all talked about prior to, sorry also as well if you have went off your subs and on to a narcotic did you notice it took quite an increase in order for it to work to reduce pain? Not whining but have a few things going on and could easily switch to narcotics and live that life though would rather not simply because it requires random pill counts where you bring meds in pain clinic for count and I am fine with that but the buprenorphine also does help with the pain sometimes as well. Thanks and sorry I rambled but hey I have A LOT of time on my hands, sorry.

Bupduped
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: after surgery pain control

Post by Bupduped » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:43 pm

If you look at the Talk Zone section (up top) there are several articles written by Dr. Junig about pain control after surgery. It should answer most of your questions.
If there is no struggle, there is no progress.
Frederick Douglass