Slight buzzed feeling after dosing

What dose of Suboxone do you take? Does your buprenorphine wear off? Do you have opioid withdrawal symptoms?
JennyB
Average Poster
Average Poster

Slight buzzed feeling after dosing

Post by JennyB » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:34 pm

Hey guys,
I’m a newbie with suboxone (just a few weeks in) and my dose is 8mg sublingual 2x a day.
I’ve been playing around with taking 2x a day and dosing only once a day. I have severe chronic pain so I’m trying to see what works best for me.
When I take my first dose I feel moderately Euphoric/Highafter about 30 minutes of dosing. It depends how long it lasts but usually a couple hours. It’s the same feeling I got from my DOC (oxy, codeine). I never feel withdrawal symptoms at 16mg. It actually took 18mg for induction and a few days after.
Is This Normal?
Thanks
Last edited by JennyB on Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SubstantialTarantula
Super Poster
Super Poster

Re: Euphoric feeling after dosing

Post by SubstantialTarantula » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:05 pm

JennyB wrote:Hey guys,
I’m a newbie with suboxone (just a few weeks in) and my dose is 8mg sublingual 2x a day.
I’ve been playing around with taking 2x a day and dosing only once a day. I have severe chronic pain so I’m trying to see what works best for me.
When I take my first dose I feel moderately Euphoric/Highafter about 30 minutes of dosing. It depends how long it lasts but usually a couple hours. It’s the same feeling I got from my DOC (oxy, codeine). I never feel withdrawal symptoms at 16mg. It actually took 18mg for induction and a few days after.
Is This Normal?
Thanks
yep, that's normal. what is your pain from? How much is the sub helping the pain at 16mg? I stay around 4-8mg per day with great success for my neck arthritis prob :)
Sub. Tar.

rule62

Post by rule62 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:59 pm

Most here are baffled by those who say Suboxone gives them a slight buzz. Reason being, the majority do not feel anything after dosing. Okay, yes, in the induction phase a person is likely to feel it if the dose is too large for the habit they had. In my case, taking close to 20 Norco's a day, my doctor prescribed 24 mg's for my induction. Took it in the office, went home and threw up. Didn't feel high, just really weird until my body adjusted. Give it two weeks to settle down.

Using it for pain, smaller doses taken several times throughout the day seem to work better. I'm not speaking from experience, just relating what I've read here over the years. Some say the lower the better. Taper very slowly if that is what you intend to do. Hope you find relief and recovery.
Don't take yourself so damn seriously

Amy-Work In Progress

Post by Amy-Work In Progress » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:38 pm

JennyB wrote:Hey guys,
Is This Normal?
Thanks
Welcome, JennyB!

Feeling a high that you would describe as the same as the high from oxy is not normal, No. Feeling suboxone kick in during the first few weeks is normal. Feeling more sedated than usual after your dose during the first few weeks is normal. Feeling a high like oxy from your suboxone when you're already opioid tolerant is strange to the point of disbelief.

I'm not a mind reader, so I don't know if you came here to discredit suboxone or if you're just not describing your experience accurately. The only way anyone gets an actual oxy-like high from buprenorphine is if they have no tolerance to opioids. Like I said, an opioid tolerant person who goes from oxy to suboxone can feel extra sedated if their tolerance doesn't yet match up, or they can feel a lift in mood, but not high.

It's an unfortunate truth that we've caught people coming here from anti-suboxone sites to mess with us. Not because we are super sleuths, but because one of our members was also a member over there and saw someone bragging about it.

JennyB, I'm sorry if my post doesn't seem very welcoming. I don't like conflict and trouble, so I'm hoping you have a rational explanation of your first post here.

Amy
Done is better than perfect!

BlueLight
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Post by BlueLight » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:37 am

Suboxone has never given me any kind of buzz whatsoever. Even when I first started on it, I was 8 days clean, and felt nothing except a huge relief in my cravings and anxiety. Now, I practically forget it. I take mine at around 4 am, go back to bed and wake up an hour later eager to embrace the world. I’ve never understood the desire to take any more than is absolutely necessary. Sometimes I even forget to take it and realize it several hours later, or even the next morning when I redose.

jennjenn

Post by jennjenn » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:56 am

There is no way anyone can feel a high from suboxone comparable to oxycodone...... no way comparable, especially after it being prescribed and taking it each day. When someone takes suboxone each day, after that first day or two, you don’t really feel anything and it’s like taking a blood pressure medicine. There could be times someone may feel a sense of just overall well-being but that is not comparable to oxycodone and the effects someone feels from that.

One thing you don’t need to do is jump around from dose to dose. Pick a dose, pick a schedule and stick to that. See if that helps because I guarantee it will.
Jennifer

JennyB
Average Poster
Average Poster

Post by JennyB » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:34 am

Wow, ok. Firstly, I am not from some anti suboxone site like Amy is referring to and I’m not here to discredit suboxone. Suboxone is saving my life. I’m really surprised and insulted that someone, especially a moderator, would be so fast to pass judgement on a fellow addict in recovery trying to ask for help. I’m new to this. I don’t know all the answers and that’s why I loved this site. I posted a few times in “Induction Discussion” and got really great advice that I’ve followed and thanks to them have been doing awesome.
Maybe I’m not describing the feeling I get properly however I do get a slight buzz when it “kicks in”. I’ve only been on this since Dec 29th. Everything is still so new so that’s why I asked. Becasue of my 15 year tolerance and long standing physical dependence I never got more than a buzz or slight euphoric high that never lasted long. My tolerance originated from 380mg/day OxyContin and went from there. My tolerance was explained in my original posts and I don’t need to be insulted by someone accusing and insinuating that I’m here to “mess” with everyone. Wow. Judgment was the one thing I didn’t think I would find on this site. No worries, I will take my questions elsewhere where I don’t feel the way I’m made to feel right now. I’m just shocked really. Didn’t expect this.

To everyone else thanks for all of your help with my induction and getting me this far in my suboxone recovery. You have been lifesavers. Whether it be from your direct advice to me or from me reading your posts and getting inspiration to keep going and live a life free of DOC. Thank you.
Much love and peace during your recovery with suboxone. I too will find it. Suboxone has saved my life.
JennyB

“I'm not a mind reader, so I don't know if you came here to discredit suboxone or if you're just not describing your experience accurately. The only way anyone gets an actual oxy-like high from buprenorphine is if they have no tolerance to opioids. Like I said, an opioid tolerant person who goes from oxy to suboxone can feel extra sedated if their tolerance doesn't yet match up, or they can feel a lift in mood, but not high.
It's an unfortunate truth that we've caught people coming here from anti-suboxone sites to mess with us. Not because we are super sleuths, but because one of our members was also a member over there and saw someone bragging about it.”

Amy-Work In Progress

Post by Amy-Work In Progress » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:27 pm

Jenny, I sent you a message explaining further, but I don't know if you've gotten it yet.

We are always going to push back if someone comes here and says, "When I take my first dose I feel moderately Euphoric/High after about 30 minutes of dosing." and "It’s the same feeling I got from my DOC (oxy, codeine)." And why is "Euphoric/High" in a different color from the rest of your post?

Why do we push back? Because of how badly these statements represent the life-saving drug we count on to keep us in recovery. Have you not seen others say, "You're just trading one drug for another!" "You're not clean because you're getting high from an opioid!" We deal with this stigma every day, so it's a big deal to us when someone comes here to say what you said.

Now you are saying you feel a slight buzz, as opposed to moderately high like your oxy made you feel. Do you see the huge difference between those two statements??

People who seek to discredit suboxone use search terms in google like "suboxone makes me high". If someone were to find your post from googling "suboxone euphoria" they would use it as an example of why suboxone does not really treat addiction. It just makes people high. If an individual who is considering starting suboxone for their opioid use disorder reads what you said, it could very well scare them away from trying suboxone. The stakes are high.

You have no idea how many times we have dealt with members who come here quietly and then start to undermine suboxone. So, you may think it's shocking that I would go there, but you certainly wouldn't be the first!

I'm sorry that you're offended, but I have a greater responsibility to this forum and those whose lives are being saved by this drug, than to any one member. I'm sure that you're a nice person and I hope you will still stick around and develop relationships with other members and the other mods. You're quite entitled to think that I'm a raging bitch if you want. I've never minded taking the heat from being direct to members. It's my job.

Amy

JennyB
Average Poster
Average Poster

Post by JennyB » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:56 pm

To anyone along with Amy questioning my integrity and reason for joining this forum:

I am an addict who chose Suboxone to save my life and it is. I have only been on this med since Dec 29th so basically 2 weeks. Everything is new to me and like I’ve stated in previous posts, my physician wasn’t even knowledgeable enough to tell me how to induce causing severe pw the first time. That’s when I came searching for help. I found that help here and I’m very grateful. Things have been going pretty darn good. Until I received a very hurtful message from Amy-in-progress.
My question regarding the feeling I get from dosing was, I thought, a valid question because it’s been happening to me however I was attacked and accused of being someone that wants to “mess” with people on this forum and discredit suboxone. The very drug that is saving my life. Perhaps my wording should have been more descriptive however I had no idea this would turn into something so crazy and hurtful.
I don’t follow threads of people bashing suboxone becasue I’m focused on my recovery and that’s not something I want to read so I have no idea what these people she accused me of being do and say.
I do feel a sense of euphoria after the suboxone starts to work and I can’t really explain it any other way. It is an “opiate feeling”. I’m just being truthful and that’s why I wanted to know if it was normal. That’s all. Most responses I received said “no” it’s not normal and they wrote in a respectful, pleasant manner. I appreciate those responses because now I can discuss this with my physician and figure out what is going on. This is the reason I joined the forum. To receive help and also, one day in the future, be of service to someone else like me just trying to figure things out.
I didn’t deserve the response I received from Amy.
People deserve to be “talked” to with dignity and respect. I felt like I did something horribly wrong and was attacked and still continue to be talked-down to for no reason.
Now I’m being questioned regarding the use of highlighting the words? I have been highlighting the key words and question I have in other posts as well. It’s not part of some anti-suboxone conspiracy I have going on. This is ridiculous and not good for my recovery to be judged, attacked, and most of all ACCUSED of being someone I’m not.
Amy, I don’t consider you a “raging bitch” like you said. I just think you shouldn’t jump to conclusions and attack someone with hurtful statements. Use compassion and common sense before publicly attacking someone like you did me.
I’m in recovery too and because of this and what you have written about me is actually the first day since I induced that I feel like using again. I’m triggered and this whole thing has me in tears. I liked it here and it felt safe. So Amy, next time you go on attack mode, remember there’s actually a fragile person here that typed these words. All I typed was a real question. Nothing more.
JennyB

Amy-Work In Progress

Post by Amy-Work In Progress » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:39 pm

Have you gotten that all out of your system? I went back and read what awful attacking things I said to you and this is what I came up with:

"I'm not a mind reader, so I don't know if you came here to discredit suboxone or if you're just not describing your experience accurately."

So, it was choice number 2. You weren't describing your experience accurately.

You stepped into a very touchy subject around here and I explained why.

The internet isn't a very good place for people who feel attacked by the statement I made above. Some of the things that have been said on this forum are actually mean with name-calling

Just for full transparency's sake, the message I sent to Jenny is right here. I sent it around noon before she had responded to me with shock and outrage. I wasn't intending to be hurtful, but you can judge for yourselves:

"I realize now that you have already posted here and we helped you when you were trying to figure out your dose.

I honestly don't know what to make of your post. Everything I said in my post is the truth. It is beyond strange to feel oxy like highs from suboxone. In fact, I've never heard of it. Oxycodone was my drug of choice so I know very well how it feels to be high on it. The only thing that suboxone has done for me is to make me feel normal. Maybe a bit sleepy from time to time.

This is why I can't figure out if you are just messing with us or what. We've had people come here masquerading as one thing only to find out that they're full of it. It has made me a bit jaded.

It doesn't do us suboxone users any good to have someone saying that they are getting high as a kite from their suboxone at a therapeutic dose. Usually the people who assert this hate suboxone and want to see it be discredited. Or they are just not being honest and equate being sedated with being high.

I just don't know what to think."

Others might agree with you, Jenny, that I overreacted. I think the reasons I gave you for questioning why you are here are valid. I think that after explaining the reasons why I was asking the question, you might have some insight into why your question is a big deal in this community. But maybe not. Anyway, if you're looking for an apology from me, I'm afraid you'll be waiting for a long time. The way you've reacted here let's me know that nothing I could do or say would be enough anyway.

I want you to do well in your recovery, Jenny, so I hope that you continue working on it and succeeding. If that includes staying on this forum then great! I promise you that I won't post on any of your threads. You can just talk to the other mods who also want the best for your recovery.

Goodbye, Jenny. I wish you well.

Amy

jennjenn

Re: Slight buzzed feeling after dosing

Post by jennjenn » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:23 am

JennyB, I don’t think Amy accused you of posting that for the wrong reasons, what she did was question if you were possibly asking such a shocking question trying to mess with us (ppl in suboxone treatment).

I think you immediately got offended thinking she was saying that you were messing with us but that’s not what she said, it was just a question. You have to realize that you’re new to this treatment and new to this forum & you wouldn’t believe the things ppl do to mess with us. If I hadn’t seen it with my own eyes, I wouldn’t have believed it myself. It’s crazy how ppl do come here to just be mean. You wouldn’t think grown adults would sit behind a keyboard just to be mean to ppl who’s chosen MAT as their recovery choice, but it happens a lot. There’s a website right now titled Subsux..... a website committed to that, it’s ridiculous. It has been a reoccurring thing here on this forum, if you search around, you’ll see so many posts from ppl just trying to get a rise out of us and/or to discredit this treatment any way they can. So, it really isn’t a mean thing to wonder if someone’s intentions are good or bad if you’re here every day and for years, you’ll see just how mean these anti suboxone ppl can be and how far they will go. Again, nobody was accusing you of being one of these ppl, it was just an innocent question from a moderator who’s job it is to know. That’s all it was.

It just seems like you aren’t willing to let it go and I’m sure it’s because you’re so upset but you need to look at the real significance of all this, you compared suboxone to oxycodone...... that actually offended me when I read that. I thought to myself that there’s no way she’s serious is she? Why on earth would she compare suboxone to what she felt on oxycodone? You did say it like that too, maybe you meant it differently but you did say that. So weather you meant it to that extreme, it is what you said in your post. That’s what made the question pop in Amy’s mind. She’s the one that asked you but I have to admit that when I read it I had some red flags pop into my head because that was such a shocking statement. So see, it was all innocent and nobody was accusing you, it just made the radars go up a little bit.

Now we know you don’t have bad intentions, it was just a question and now we know that you’re asking the question for the right reasons. In my opinion, when someone compares suboxone giving them a high compared to oxycodone, it doesn’t seem logical and for that reason the question pops up that maybe someone is messing with us. Hopefully that explains why Amy asked this question because it did send red flags up to me also. It’s been awhile since our last troll visit but if you stick around long enough you’ll see what I’m talking about because some ppl make it their mission to discredit buprenorphine.
Jennifer

JennyB
Average Poster
Average Poster

Post by JennyB » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:08 am

Hey Everyone,

I just want to clear up and explain what I think is a huge misunderstanding. The thread replies from members and the awesome PMs I received gave me more of an awareness of what I believe I did wrong.
The words I used to explain what I’m feeling the first couple of hours after I take my suboxone were wrong and because of this I put an image/idea/perception in people’s minds that was not correct.
I should not have used the word euphoric. I looked up the definition and it implies a much more intense, extreme feeling than what I was trying to describe.
I should have used the word “buzzed”. I also shouldn’t have compared it to what oxy or codeine made me feel like because everyone’s perception of what they felt when they took those opiates is different. Those drugs are not a comparison to Suboxone.
My tolerance has become so incredibly high that huge doses were of course doing nothing for my chronic pain anymore or giving me any kind of high. My story quickly is it was never my thing to get “high” just to get “high”. I have a severe chronic pain condition and it was only to manage my pain. Of course it also numbed my mind, my emotional problems and everything else that goes with long term opiate use.
At one point years ago I was on 380mg OxyContin per day. Now just prior to Suboxone I was on Percocet and/or codeine. All I have ever felt was buzzed when the Percocet or codeine kicked in but mostly I felt “normal”. I wasn’t in withdrawal anymore. I should not have compared the drugs. I also never thought to think that everyone’s perception of what an opiate feels like is different based on their tolerance, personal experiences, whether there is physical pain to treat, etc.
Furthermore, and I think it’s what’s causing this “buzz” is, I’m also now taking other non opiate analgesics like Gabapentin (1200mg/day) and a muscle relaxant 3X/day. I’ve been on Ativan for severe anxiety for decades. I think it’s the combination of everything and not the Suboxone?
I’m still a little confused because of others saying yes to feeling a buzz, they feel it kick in, it’s a sense of well-being that you should feel but I don’t know what that feels like, and others said it only happens in the first couple weeks. Also others said you should feel nothing just like taking a blood pressure pill. Aghhh! LOL
I definitely feel something, it’s a good feeling but I’m NOT at all high.
It was never my intent to raise red flags. I never gave it a thought there were people out there deliberately coming to this forum with bad intentions trying to say suboxone can get you high, or are against suboxone for recovery.
I apologize for my ignorant use of the wrong words. I’m learning and I’ve learned.
Suboxone is saving my life and I wish everyone well in their recovery!
JennyB

Thanks for reading

Amy-Work In Progress

Post by Amy-Work In Progress » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:18 am

JennyB, I said I wouldn't reply on your posts again, but I want to tell you how much I appreciate you taking the time to explain all of that to us. That is really gracious of you, especially since you feel upset about the way I approached the issue. I had definitely forgotten that you had already posted on our forum, and I didn't double check that before I reacted to your post. I apologize for that. I truly wasn't trying to be offensive or hurtful.

I tend to be overly protective of the forum and of suboxone patients in general. I never want anyone to view our forum and get the wrong idea about buprenorphine. There are definitely people who would use it against suboxone, and there are new people who might not want to get on suboxone if they thought they would get high. You did not know that, however. I was focused on the words you used and reacted to them instead of hearing your question. I can improve in that area.

Your willingness to come back on this thread and explain your thought process shows how much potential you have as a member here. I hope you stay.

Amy

jennjenn

Post by jennjenn » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:38 pm

Yes JennyB! That I definitely understand :)

When I said blood pressure pill, I meant that after awhile when you take your medicine it’s not something you ever think about, you just pop it under your tongue and go on. You know, routine and not even thinking about how it makes ya feel. Hopefully you understand that better.

I get a sense of well being, I explained it a little better in another post of Lilly’s about this subject. I always wake up feeling yucky, I have my whole life for some reason. After I take my medicine, I just feel better. It isn’t what I’d call a buzz but I do feel better and it’s something.... I just wouldn’t say it’s a high or for me I wouldn’t even say it’s a buzz. We all have our different perceptions and maybe that’s where the confusion for everyone is coming into play. We aren’t all going to describe it the exact same way.

I’m glad you posted that last post JennyB! It brings so much more clarity now :)
Jennifer

JennyB
Average Poster
Average Poster

Post by JennyB » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:48 am

Thanks Amy, I appreciate your message and now that this is in the rear view mirror, I am looking forward to staying on this awesome forum and having great discussions with you and everyone else. You and Jenn Jenn are superb moderators and give such good advice. Thanks for your message too Jenn Jenn! Now let’s end this thread and move on! LOL
Thanks guys,
Jenny B

jennjenn

Post by jennjenn » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:08 pm

Yes! Agreed and thank you JennyB! I’m glad you’re sticking around!
Jennifer

tracker17
One Month or More
One Month or More

Post by tracker17 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:11 pm

Hey I too get a slight feeling when I take my 8 mg of suboxone it’s not a “high” but I do feel brighter and ready to go do something. I too have alway felt bad when I first wake up in the morning even before I ever took pills. Some people say they feel nothing after taking subs but I always have a “feeling”. It’s not a euphoric high though but I do feel a lot better. I’ve learned that all drugs effect every person in different ways.