I think I need a dose increase ??????

What dose of Suboxone do you take? Does your buprenorphine wear off? Do you have opioid withdrawal symptoms?
tracker17
One Month or More
One Month or More

I think I need a dose increase ??????

Post by tracker17 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:08 pm

I have been on 8mg suboxone for 15 months now and have had little issues with it. For the last couple months I have been feeling some cravings especially after waking up in the morning. I had a couple extra meds over the last year I did not take and the last couple days I took an extra half (4mg) a day and have felt so much better. I really think I need to take that much every day but am afraid my dr. might say no because I have been on 8 mg for so long with no issues until the last couple months. Has anyone else had an experience like this??? I need some advice on what step to take and how to talk to the dr about this. :?

Amy-Work In Progress

Re: I think I need a dose increase ??????

Post by Amy-Work In Progress » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:37 pm

I would be honest with your doctor that you are experiencing cravings on your current dose. The point of buprenorphine is to take a therapeutic dose so that you are not craving or experiencing withdrawal symptoms.

Depending on your doctor he or she might respond to your request better if you give some details, like that you hopped in your car and started to drive where you used to score, and barely stopped yourself from giving in and buying. Something along those lines but built on the truth.

Hope this suggestion helps.

Amy
Done is better than perfect!

tracker17
One Month or More
One Month or More

Post by tracker17 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:13 pm

Thanks for the help. I have been having a hard to getting up in the morning because I have the feeling like I used to have when using every morning where the medicine level has worn off over night. When I took the extra 4 mg a day I felt better getting up in the morning. The research I have done seem to look like most therapeutic dose is double what I am taking so it leads me to think I need a little higher dose. Don’t get me wrong I do not want to take a higher dose at all but I also don’t want to start craving pills again. I see my counselor next Friday before I see the doctor on Saturday so I am going to talk to my counselor about all this and maybe he can say something to the doctor also. I have done so well for 15 months and don’t want things to go backwards now. I guess we will see what happens.

jennjenn

Post by jennjenn » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:32 am

I agree with Amy, talk to your doctor. I know what you’re feeling and there isn’t any reason to suffer with cravings. That is a horrible feeling. I know you feel hesitant to ask your doctor to go bk up a little bit in dose but surly your doctor knows this kind of thing happens sometimes. If he or she doesn’t understand and refuses to listen, then maybe they’re more concerned with you getting off buprenorphine and less about maintaining your healthy recovery. Sometimes I think a few doctors get tunnel vision on someone tapering who’s been on this medicine for awhile and doesn’t understand we may have to stop the taper and return to a slightly higher dose for the time being.

Just be honest and explain everything like you explained to us. Don’t suffer through cravings every day. I can totally remember how down they make you feel. It consumed my thoughts and at the very least nagged at my peace of mind every day. Hopefully your doctor will understand, I’d definitely have a conversation about it :)
Jennifer

BlueLight
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Post by BlueLight » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:27 am

Given you have a few days before your next appointment....maybe you should split your daily dose in half, and take it twice per day. Take 1/2 when you first wake up, and take the other half after lunch. That might work without needing a dose increase.

Otherwise, just tell your doc what is going on.

tracker17
One Month or More
One Month or More

Post by tracker17 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:10 pm

Well my dr said I did not need to take more than 8 mgs because he has people that were on heroine that take 8 or 12 mgs. I was just taking hydrocodone for a few years at about 50 to 60 mgs a day so I guess he thinks I don’t need it that bad sense I was not on real heavy drugs but I know what I am feeling and don’t want to take anymore mgs if possible but don’t think I should suffer either because that could make a person want to take a few pill again. I have been clean for 15 months and have never had any set backs at all. They say that I have done very great with my recovery and I have done about the best they have seen a person do. Maybe that is why he don’t want to give me more. If I am still feeling bad next month I’m going to have to have a long talk with him about it. I guess we will see what happens. Any other suggestions?????

BlueLight
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Post by BlueLight » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:42 pm

So if increasing your dose is off the table at least for now, I would increase your other recovery tools. Are you seeing an addiction mental health counselor every week or every other week? If not, make an appointment. If you’re only seeing them every two weeks, temporarily step it up to once a week. Increase your endorphins via more or a new exercise routine. How’s your daily meditation time? If you’re doing 10 minutes, step it up to 15 mins. Reward yourself for staying on your appropriate dose at the end of the week...buy yourself something or go out to dinner or show. Get a massage. How many meetings a week are you going to? Maybe do an extra meeting or find a new one to swap out an old one. Meet up with a sober friend for lunch.

Basically, let’s reduce your stress via other recovery tools, so the Suboxone doesn’t have to pull as much weight.

For me I need to do ALL of those things I listed above, plus my Suboxone to stay sober and clean.

tracker17
One Month or More
One Month or More

Post by tracker17 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:12 pm

I see my counselor once every two weeks. I have his personal number so I can call him anytime I need to. I do not do meeting like AA because I live in a very rural area and nothing close to go to except one AA meeting that does not like suboxone therapy so ain’t going there. This forum helps me a lot when I have an issue, I can look for the topic or post about it and you all always help me!!! That is an issue for people that live way out in the country there is very little support groups around. I would have to drive 1 1/2 hours to find a NA meeting. I also do not like to be around a lot of people talking about my problems. I am a country boy and used to handling things on my own or going to a friend for help. I thought about trying to start a group at our church because I know a few others that are in recovery also. I am not really feeling stressed I just feel very tired when I wake up in the morning kinda like i did when I was taking pills and they wore off over night. I am just going to try to just get used to it for a while and see if it gets better. I really don’t want to take anymore suboxone if possible but I don’t want to risk taking pills again either. I WILL get through it somehow!! I am very confident in my recovery and will beat this demon. I guess there is just going to be a small hiccup along the road every now and then.

jennjenn

Post by jennjenn » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:47 am

Hey tracker!

I get what your doctor is saying and I understand it but on the other hand not all addicts are the same. You can’t really say that everyone that’s used to a certain dose of hydrocodone should take this much.... well I mean physically yes, but mentally and depending on your cravings, you may need a little more. That’s just how I personally look at it, like why some ppl need longer term treatment and others can taper and stop sooner than others..... we’re sometimes different in the mental department of addiction.

I live in the country too, I have to drive about 35-40 min to my clinic. The only meetings outside my clinic (which I don’t do NA so it doesn’t matter) are that same amount of time away. Thankfully my clinic has meetings in house with all the patients requiring to attend some of them. I don’t know what I would have done in those earlier days without those meetings. One major thing that I believe helps us is that communication and support with our peers. I could totally see how something would seem like it’s missing without that.

I’m from Tennessee and in small towns it can feel like we have to try double hard to get things done. There’s no meetings in the middle of a hay field or we would be great, no meetings at the local Co Op lol, so we really do have to fight certain things that others from bigger areas don’t have to. I know stigma is everywhere but in a small country town..... geez it can be disheartening at times to say the least. We (or at least I do) live in a place where if you go to jail you see a lot more ppl you know than you don’t or at least have the issue of addiction in common. It’s just hard to relate to ppl who live in a small town in the middle of the country if you haven’t ever lived in a place like that. I know the thing ppl used to say to me is no matter how far you have to travel you travel, but it isn’t always that simple. There’s a lot more to it than that sometimes, especially if you’ve been in trouble and had your license taken or your car is gone.... it really can be isolating and feel like there’s no support close to ya. It can suck! I know all about it. Meetings may not be possible at a certain point so try filling it in other ways and you mentioned your church, that’s a great idea! I think that’s something you should absolutely try to do. Odds are that those other addicts in your church have been wanting that extra support themselves like you.

One thing that I was going to mention is the absorption part of taking this medication. Are you taking your medicine properly? Not talking while it’s dissolving? Putting it under your tongue and not swollowing while keeping your tongue down firmly on the medicine? Have you switched brands recently?

See how it goes until your next appointment and if you’re still not feeling better on 8mg then you should revisit the topic with your doctor. Tell him that you understand your habit doesn’t necessarily reach past 8mg but the mental part and the cravings just aren’t taken care of right now and you’re afraid of feeling like this much longer.
Jennifer

tracker17
One Month or More
One Month or More

Post by tracker17 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:59 pm

Thanks so much for the feedback. I have a time set up with the associate pastor at the church and am going to discuss maybe starting a group for addicts here in our country area. You seem to know exactly how life is living in the country. I live in Kentucky and had to drive 1 1/2 to Louisville just to find a dr to get help with my problem. I really like this forum because it seems there is always someone that can relate to my situation. I have turned a few others at my clinic onto this forum through my counselor because I feel it can really help someone living to far away to go to a meeting when they have an issue. The last couple days have been a little better as far as feeling cravings so I am pretty confident that I can probably deal with it without having to go up on my meds. At least for now anyway. I just am going to take it on day at a time. I hope I can get through and be able to help others with my experience and maybe they won’t have to increase a dose if possible. I well life goes in, thanks again for all the help.

BlueLight
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Post by BlueLight » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:27 pm

I posted on another thread about SMART Recovery online meetings. You need to create an account to see the online meeting schedule. https://www.smartrecovery.org/community/calendar.php

Also, good for you starting a meeting! For me having a slew of recovery friends these days helps me out tremendously.

jennjenn

Post by jennjenn » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:55 am

I’m actually going to Louisville and leaving Sunday! It’s over 3 hours away for me though so it’s not a driving distance I could travel. My clinic is actually in Kentucky because I live on the border of Tennessee, Kentucky and Virginia. It’s a place where you go to the grocery store in Tennessee, go to the doctor in Kentucky and.... well I don’t go to Virginia much but it’s as close as the other two are lol. Trust me, I relate completely with the small town making things a bit harder because there isn’t much around.
Jennifer