Dosing Every Second Day

What dose of Suboxone do you take? Does your buprenorphine wear off? Do you have opioid withdrawal symptoms?
Ryan Ryan Ryan
Power Poster
Power Poster

Dosing Every Second Day

Post by Ryan Ryan Ryan » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:17 am

My doctor suggested that I try dosing every second day at the pharmacy instead of every single day to save money.
I don't think its right for me though as on day 2 I feel a lack of motivation to do anything, runny nose, loss of appetitie and a bit fatigued. On day 3 which is the day of dosing again, I feel dizzy in the morning which goes away about 4 hours after dosing again.

When I do take that double dose though, I feel amazing for that day. Shame.... :(

Does anyone else have no luck with the second day dosing?

Simz
Average Poster
Average Poster

Re: Dosing Every Second Day

Post by Simz » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:50 am

If ya startin 2 hang out b4 & between doses, then Id maybe have a word with ya doc!
What & how high is ya dose?
How r u dosing?
...I knew sum1 who was on alternate day, where they went in & had 32mg over the 2 days (equivalent to 16mg/day) which is bit different 2 the alternate day arrangement I have, where 1 day I go in2 chemist 4 supervised dose, then next day is a takeaway (unsupervised) etc..
...Sounds like u got a wicked good deal when comes 2 your pharmacys dispensing fees though! By sounds of what U wrote: the less u go - the less u pay? Thats tops hey & way it should be! Unfortunately the arrangements over here are U pay $5/day or $30/week regardless if U attend 1-2 days per week or 7 days!!! ...At end of day its all profit 4 the pharmacies, seeing as its all government subsidised in 1st place, so ya only paying a "dispensing" fee: $5 for every time they go behind counter & grab em 4 U!!
* No other form of medical patient gets ripped off like we do! A person can come in & grab a full months prescription of anything from pain killers 2 benzos, insulin 2 heart pills 2 antibiotics, and they only have 2 pay the once & not much more for a whole 1 months worth of medication, than what they charge us for 1 day!!! A Current Affairs should do a special about this, coz it is absolutely ridiculous!!

SisterMorphine
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Post by SisterMorphine » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:47 pm

i've never heard of going to the pharmacy everyday for them. is that at a national chain? i'd be so surprised but also impressed if i was.

do you take them at the pharmacy in front of someone? if not you could taper down and just take less both days.

looks like you joined here over a year ago, assuming you've been on subs at least that long? are you starting to taper? i did go to every other day right before i went off completely, but that was at stupid low doses, like 2mg strip cut into 24 pieces low.
Get your shit together and live your life." Black Snake Moan

docm2
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Post by docm2 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:53 am

SisterM, I think R3 is in Australia.
Ryan, I thought you were going to get the monthly injection, that would certainly alleviate the problem with this dosing debacle.
Wonder where Simz is located?

Ryan Ryan Ryan
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Ryan Ryan Ryan » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:01 am

Yes, in Australia you pay for every time you get either a daily or a double dose every 2nd day. We get one or two doses a week too that we get to take home with us and these are free.

Still waiting for the injection to happen and can't wait for it as its totally free. I just hope the injection lasts as long as they say it will as I may be working again soon.

Ryan Ryan Ryan
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Ryan Ryan Ryan » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:48 am

I am now used to dosing every 2 days. My body just had to get used to it which took 2 weeks which were the longest weeks of my life as I had no motivation to enjoy my hobbies and man that was tough to just lay in bed most days.

I pay $18 a week for my sub-oxone as I get 2 free days and just dose 3 times a week which are $6 each. When I first started on the programme, I had to pay $42 a week. I was working full-time then so it didn't bothered me. Now, I'm lucky if I work one day a week as construction industry in Perth is really bad at the moment. Lots of un-licensed painters are taking my work as they do it much cheaper by using bad paint and terrible prep work. The Building Commission is getting swamped with complaints about them but they say that they can't do anything about it as there's too many of them!

Ryan Ryan Ryan
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Ryan Ryan Ryan » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:46 am

For those wishing to dose every 2 days to save money in Australia, its important to remove that psycological barrier about not dosing on your days off. This is what helped me to get used to it. Just tell yourself you took enough to last 2 days. I don't lie in bed on my days off now and have more energy and much more motivation to do things. Its all psychological if you feel fatigue. Your mind is telling your body you havent dosed in a-while. I actually feel better than I did when I was dosing every day.

suboxdoc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by suboxdoc » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:12 pm

Thanks for joining us here Ryan... Ryan.... Ryan! In the US there are two types of programs - 'OBOTs' for'office based buprenorphine treatment', and buprenorphine administered through methadone-assisted treatment programs, which now often have methadone, buprenorphine, or Vivitrol. The latter are tightly controlled by state and federal code, which require daily dosing for the first 90 days (except Sunday in some states), and then progressive increase in take-home doses every 90 days if the person doesn't use illicit substances and meets other compliance requirements. After a couple years a person can get two weeks of medication to take home if fully compliant.

I remember lectures about the studies that led to DATA 2000, the law that allowed for buprenorphine treatment in the US. There were discussions about dosing every other day vs daily dosing. The goal with buprenorphine is to eliminate the conditioned use of opioids, so dosing every other day makes some sense.... but people tend to forget whether they dosed the day before, causing them to take an extra dose 'just in case' they didn't. From a pharmacologic perspective the half-life is plenty long-enough to dose every other day.

Ryan Ryan Ryan
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Ryan Ryan Ryan » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:44 pm

I know the feeling about forgetting. I always use my phone calendar to keep track, LOL!

In Australia, I think we can get up to two free takeaways a week and we don't pay for these. So, its worth it to dose every 2 days in this regard as it means paying as little as $12 a week vs paying up to $49 a week.

My pharmacy charges $7 per dose or $42 if you pay a week in advance. But takeaway doses are free. It kinda sucks that the pharmacies charge as us they get paid by the government for the suboxone they administer out. This is why I'm looking forward to the buvidal injections as it will be free and no trips to the pharmacy anymore. They are having problems over-east with buvidal though as some people are not rocking up for their monthly injections for some reason.