Need some help please

Does Suboxone hurt teeth? Why does the film taste bad? Am I high on Suboxone? If you have side effects to buprenorphine, discuss them here.
Jlamar87
New Poster
New Poster

Help please, been on subutex for 3 years

Post by Jlamar87 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:12 pm

My name is Jon and I live in oxford Mississippi. 3 years ago I broke sobriety of 7 years and relapsed on oxycodone and was placed on a high dose of subutex (20 mg). My doctor kept me at this dose for two years before my family and I moved to another oxford at that point and I started seeing another doctor who put me on 12 mg daily. I’ve been on this medicine for 3 years now and I’m about to start nursing school next week and am concerned on how/when I can get off this medicine. I desperately need guidance/encouragement that I can still do this without ruining my newfound opportunity of nursing school. Most of all, I’m seeing symptoms of depression, anxiety, and generally not really having fun like I used to and I can tell it’s the buprenorphine doing it.

Jlamar87
New Poster
New Poster

Re: Help please, been on subutex for 3 years

Post by Jlamar87 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:15 pm

I also want to add that what began my seven years of sobriety before I broke it was I detoxed myself off Suboxone at the age of 21 after being on it for a year and a half, but I was much younger then and stronger than I am now. I also didn’t have family and job responsibilities.

Jlamar87
New Poster
New Poster

Need some help please

Post by Jlamar87 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:49 pm

I’m on my second round of subutex. The first was from the age 19-21 and I quit it cold turkey from 8 mg and somehow managed to make it all the way through withdrawal by myself. I was sober for 7 years. About 3 years ago I relapsed on oxy and got back on a high dose of subutex (20 mg) and the doc kept me on it for two years. I moved to Mississippi and started seeing a new doc and he put me on 12 mg but now I’ve been on the medicine for 3 years and I’m about to begin nursing school next week and I’m worried about being on it for so long. I want to quit this medicine but I know I can’t do it on my own, I’m not as young or strong as I was back then when I did it before. I’m having some depression and the feeling of things not making me as happy as they once did. I need some kind of guidance on whether or not I can quit and be happy again

rule62

Re: Need some help please

Post by rule62 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:19 am

That's a tough one. To quit, as you know, requires a good amount of will and determination. Maybe seek out some recovery sites to help find the motivation you need.

If and when you do get there I suggest asking for the films vs the tabs. They are just easier to cut down and taper from. It's all generic now so it shouldn't cost more. Once you're down to the 2 mg ones just go very very slow. Read a lot of the success stories here in our Stopping Suboxone section. That may help some.

Do you have any friends to talk to for support? You may find some here if you need them.

Also, research to see if they test for buprenorphine being a nurse. You may not need to stop right away. it will be easier if you taper down low and know the time is right.
Don't take yourself so damn seriously

docm2
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Post by docm2 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:52 pm

Congrats on getting into a nursing program.
Every state is different but I can share what I know from Minnesota.
Being on Suboxone does not keep a person out of school or affect their eligibility. When school is completed and it is time to be licensed you would be asked somewhat generic questions about current use of mood altering substances or abuse of substances that affect how you function.
Most health care employers will do a UDS but BUP is not part of the routine panel.
I currently have two RN's, doing very well, board doesn't know they take it. We started Suboxone prior to their getting licensed. 2 others that are involved with the HPSP: now that they are sober, stable and on Suboxone they are back to work.

Time is on your side.
If on 12 mg a day, a reasonable time to taper is one year. Look through the forum for various schedules, but wait at least 10-14 days before reducing dose to allow time to get use to the new dose.
Often around 8 mg a day many folks will start splitting the dose. As Rule said, take your time.
Recovery support is very important, whether on Suboxone or not, life is going to happen, and unless prepared easy to reach for something to ease the pain (physical or mental)
As you taper I hope some of the symptoms being attributed to Suboxone (depression, anxiety, losing the fun side of life) will ease. Sometimes there may be a secondary cause that needs to be treated, meds or therapy.
I hope you continue to post
PAX

jennjenn

Post by jennjenn » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:06 am

Personally if it were me I wouldn’t stop taking buprenorphine if it helps you. You could taper to a lower dose and stay there until you’re a hundred percent sure you’re ready to be totally abstinent. Like docm2 said, he knows nurses who do fine on buprenorphine and there’s no rush that I see UNLESS you are just ready and if so then go for it. I work with suboxone patients every day and I get asked a lot about how long I’ve been taking it. I always say that some ppl may need it for the long term and some ppl will not. We’re all different and we’re all taking different paths, don’t feel pressured or rushed. Taper when you know you are ready.
Jennifer