Never sick, never even sneeze. Is this normal?

Does Suboxone hurt teeth? Why does the film taste bad? Am I high on Suboxone? If you have side effects to buprenorphine, discuss them here.
Amy-Work In Progress

Re: Never sick, never even sneeze. Is this normal?

Post by Amy-Work In Progress » Sat May 31, 2014 11:57 am

Oh Lizzie! Scarlett fever?? You are actually lucky because a strep infection can affect your heart too! I'm glad it didn't get that far. I'm sorry you've been so sick though! If I get a fever that lingers after a couple days I definitely go to the doctor. Because, unlike you, you trooper, if I have a fever I am useless. Totally knocks me down!

I have been very sick several times while on opiates and sub specifically. The latest thing was a stomach virus that came and went pretty quickly. The immune system is complicated and very individual. I don't think you can make blanket statements and have it fit every scenario.

I'm so glad you're better, Lizzie!

Amy
Done is better than perfect!

lizzieshug2013
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Post by lizzieshug2013 » Sat May 31, 2014 10:06 pm

Hey there Amy,

thanks so much, im glad to be feeling better also! although I maintained all my normal activities, work, mom taxi, baseball etc..I was quite useless myself, especially that last week. That fever really put me down! it's amazing how crappy the timing is being sick too. I'm no trooper, just no one else to fill in for mom. lol that whole last week was full of important stuff I couldn't miss. my youngest son had his fifth grade graduation Tuesday and then Wednesday both my eighth grade boys had their graduations , by the time I'd settle down for the evening I was balled up in recliner wrapped up in my blanket whining and aching! Thursday night Christian had a big ball game, and I had to help Steve write payroll when we got home. also had ball practice every evening from 5 till around 7:30, and a game on Saturday. by the time Saturday night came around I was a mess, and had no choice...I had to see a doctor, could barely open my mouth or even swallow liquids! yikes!
I was reading about strep throat and also read that left untreated it can cause some serious complications, scary stuff Amy! lesson learned here: from now on when I'm feeling sick, I'm going to the doctor! Whatever I have to put off or miss, even work, will just have to wait until I'm better , or better yet someone else can pitch in and help me out for a change! ;-)

Dennisbon
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Dennisbon » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:43 am

Since 2001 when I start taking oxycontin prescribed by dr I haven had a cold or a flu. That's almost 20yrs. Before that I was getting sick once or twice a year. Bronchitis, walking pneumonia, flu. Since taking opiates now suboxone I havent been sick once. I've mentioned it to doctor several occasions and he doesnt think the two have anything to do with one another. I have three children in public school so I'm exposed to viruses all the time as my kids always bringing some thing home.. I do believe that these types of drugs do something to our immune systems. Way to many people reporting the same for it to be a coincidence.

rule62

Post by rule62 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:23 pm

Not sure if there ever was a study about this weird phenonium. My gut says one doesn't have anything to do with the other. A guess would be that the opiates make you feel better mentally and that may affect how you feel overall. Now whether or not it can prevent sickness one would have to research that. See if you can find some credible studies out there.

Who cares? As long as it works for you, enjoy it!
Don't take yourself so damn seriously

jennjenn

Post by jennjenn » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:29 am

I have always said that during my active addiction I rarely got sick. I remember talking about this several times and I drew the conclusion that I either didn’t get sick or I was high and it just didn’t bother me as much. The being high part wouldn’t be exactly right though because I didn’t stay high 24/7, plenty of days I took one of the bigger opiates to just keep from being sick so I wasn’t blowed away all the time where I wouldn’t have noticed being sick....... so did opiate abuse help me from being sick orrrrrrrr did withdrawal mask sickness that we would have felt much more if no withdrawal had creeped in at some point? I don’t know. Since buprenorphine I do get sick. I only wondered about that when in active addiction because I get sick now, goodness some of the sickest I’ve been has been the last few years and I’ve been in recovery a good while so it’s not like that for me, only when I was in active addiction.

It’s definitely something I wondered about but if I were to guess..... I’d say it’s just a big coincidence.
Jennifer

Lillyval
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Post by Lillyval » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:18 pm

I’m convinced that I never get sick on Suboxone. I’ll start to feel like I’m coming down with something and then in a day or two it’s gone. Why do I believe it’s the Suboxone? I was on it for 3 years and never got sick once. Then I was off it for 5 years and got yearly colds and bronchitis like everyone else. Now I’m back on it for 3 years and haven’t gotten sick once. I told an RN who works in addiction medicine, and he said many Suboxone patients have told him the same thing. But who is going to listen to addicts?

rule62

Post by rule62 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:24 am

That's nice to know others aren't getting sick but in my case I still catch whatever is going around. A yearly cold and allergies get to me all the time. Got over a cold about 6 weeks ago with a low grade fever. Yes, that is abnormal but remember I had cancer and my immune system isn't what it used to be. My doctor cannot figure out why I get a low grade fever with colds but I do. So be it. Of course at first I was worried it was the evil Covid19 plague but alas, I got better without the lung problem so it was just a nasty cold. My wife got it too but with no fever. Hers lasted 3-4 days, that's it. Her immune system is the best. She rarely ever gets sick unlike me.

Guess it can't apply to everyone.

jennjenn

Post by jennjenn » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:22 am

You aren’t the only one rule, I get sick too now, I only wondered about not getting sick during active addiction days. I actually am sick now, have been since Saturday but no fever, just a minor minor cough and runny nose with horrible fatigue. I honestly think it’s a sinus infection. I always get a sinus infection this time of year and it’s the only thing that makes this fatigue hit me. Like everyone else though when I started feeling bad I thought I too had the big C. No fever plus my symptoms weren’t bad. So yes, I still get sick even though I’ve taken buprenorphine for years......... not in active addiction though, I rarely got sick then.

Everyone please be safe and good luck to all your family and yourself! This is a very scary time for all of us, those of us with younger children and elderly or sickly parents.... we worry. Just be safe and ALWAYS practice social distancing- 6 feet at all times when possible. In my state it’s rapidly gotten to 700 in a matter of days, I have 1 patient that is in quarantine and many more with sick family members that they have been around. It’s coming. We have to just stay home when possible.
Jennifer

BlueLight
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Post by BlueLight » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:43 am

Since getting clean 2+ years ago, I’ve not gotten sick while on Suboxone. But since I’ve gotten clean I walk or jog 15 to 18 miles per week, lift weights 5 times per week (8+ hrs), and eat a healthy diet. I get 7+ hrs of sleep per night. I’m also on TRT so my testosterone and male hormones have been optimized. I also meditate, see a mental health professional, and go to 12 step meetings to deal with my stress. I think it’s a little luck and a healthy lifestyle, and a little opiates to cure what ails me.

In active addiction I did get H1N1 which almost killed me. I kept refusing to go to the hospital out of fear I couldn’t get an adequate supply of opiates. I finally had to put on two 100 mcg fentanyl patches. One where prescribed (upper arm) and one hidden on my freshly shaved taint. LOL! TMI! But after 1 day on IV antibiotics and steroids I checked myself out so I could go home and snort some oxy. A perfect solution for a nasty respiratory illness.

rule62

Post by rule62 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:02 pm

Nice to have you back and posting BL. Don't be such a stranger. This place appreciates your insight.