Numbness in hands

Does Suboxone hurt teeth? Why does the film taste bad? Am I high on Suboxone? If you have side effects to buprenorphine, discuss them here.
scottyb123075
New Poster
New Poster

Numbness in hands

Post by scottyb123075 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:49 am

My finger tips go numb in both hands.. can't sleep with arms bent or both arms and hands fall asleep

scottyb123075
New Poster
New Poster

Re: Numbness in hands

Post by scottyb123075 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:52 am

It's pretty much started as soon as I started on them. I've been on them for almost 5 months now... doesn't seem to be getting any better or worse.. just wondering if any others had same issues

jennjenn

Post by jennjenn » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:28 am

Hey Scottyb welcome!

I haven't had any kind of side effects like that from buprenorphine. I'm also not sure yours is from bupe or not. There could be some circulation problems or something that just could have started around the time u started suboxone. There's lots of things we didn't notice with our health in active addiction and begin noticing it after we start our buprenorphine treatment.

Do u take the strips or a pill form? Have u ever had issues with naloxone? Hopefully Dr Junig or docm2 can help ya with this question. I wish I could be more help to ya.
Jennifer

Pelican
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Post by Pelican » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:55 am

Hey Scotty,

the only thing I can think of is do you have any swelling in your hands or legs? its unusual but some folks on bup do get peripheral edema (swelling). If the nerves are compressed from the swelling as they travel thru and around the limited bent elbow space and thru the tight wrist space, they can get pressure and numbness.

Do you have occupational or hobby use of your arms and wrists, that unrelated to bup could cause a carpal tunnel or ulnar tunnel?

Which fingertips? all 5 or just some? That info would help. Welcome!
Did well on Suboxone. Stopped May 2011.
Stopping went well -- its the staying stopped -- where the real work begins.
Coming here 'keeps recovery green'.

TeeJay
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Post by TeeJay » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:48 pm

Are you a smoker? I found my cold hands improved hugely when I went from smoking -> vaping -> nothing.

rob500
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by rob500 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:14 pm

Numbness in hands and feet I have but I can't say it's from Suboxone.
Physical labor,blood sugar,neropathy,etc... and many more.

SisterMorphine
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Post by SisterMorphine » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:38 pm

my fingers are numb on one hand. i'll eventually have to go to the chiropractor. i have a bone spur in my neck which causes it.
not sub related, at least i don't think. i've had a couple flare ups since on subs.
Get your shit together and live your life." Black Snake Moan

ouize1121
New Poster
New Poster

Post by ouize1121 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:07 am

I've been taking Suboxone oral 2 my 4x/day for about 4.5 months. Works GREAT on my Adhesive Arachnoiditis/Spinal Stenosis back pain! I have developed the numbness and tingling in my hands and now going up my arms, both left and right, more severe on right. It's getting progressively worse, to the point where I have to get up in the middle of the night just to relieve it. I've also got trigger finger now in my right ring finger.

I'm going to try going down to 3 doses a day and see if that helps. Hope it doesn't make my pain increase!

Amy-Work In Progress

Post by Amy-Work In Progress » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:22 am

I'm afraid that it is more probably due to your spinal stenosis. My husband has the exact same thing and they determined that it was caused by compression of the nerves coming out of his spine. He had surgery to get it all cleared out a year and a half ago. The symptoms have improved somewhat, but not all the way. But nerves take so long to heal that his doctor says it's normal not to have total relief.

There's just nothing about the function of buprenorphine in the body that I can think of that would cause your symptoms, and there are so many possible reasons for it. Make sure you talk to your neurologist about your symptoms. Because you may end up needing surgery as well. Good luck to you!

Amy

P.S. My husband is not on any opioids. He will barely take opioids after surgery.
Done is better than perfect!

hunt4lionz
New Poster
New Poster

Post by hunt4lionz » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:21 pm

It happens to me severely because suffered in allergic to naloxone and suboxone has ingredients that can cause what they call parastesias. I have always sued the parastesias while on suboxone its the pain and numbness in extremities. Now that i take the film w added ingredient of naloxone its even worse in my hands and arms making my carpal tunnel and nerve damage really severe. I was going to a dr that allowed me tp take subutex which relieved the parastesias and hand and arm pain. But both of those Drs required i pay cash for visit every month,$150.00. My Fiance is also on suboxone so our total household cost for treatment was $300.00. We are both disabled from a car accident and we have children. Our income is limited.So when we found an office that accepted our insurance we jumped at the oppurtunity to save $3,600.00 a year in Drs fees. Unfortunately Drs at new office refuse to write anything but suboxone to all of their patients i have been working thru the pain for 3 months now nut it really does suck especially at bed time or middle of the night.Im seriously considering switching back to Dr that vost me $150 if i cant endure the pain much longer. Also another nasty side effect of Bupenephrine /suboxone /subutex is that it rotts alot of people teeth so prepare for a large dental bill or dentures. If your new to taking it brush your teeth right after and use mouth wash to avoid possible tooth decay and loss. I still feel it's the best method of therapy for myself and others for stopping oxycodone.But I really wish i new about the teeth issue so i could ve taken extra care and i hope im able to get current Dr to allow me subutex. Otherwise i might have to pay the $300 per month my husband suffers from the same issues so we can't even split up 1 of us could stay at offive that takes insurance and other could go to Dr and pay $150 atleast cutting my house hold cost in half ....
So to anyone else suffering your not alone Hang in there the opiates are worse then the side effects of the therapy im still thankful for the medication.

Amy-Work In Progress

Post by Amy-Work In Progress » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:41 pm

You say that suboxone causes parastesias as if you know it is a fact. Could you please point me in the direction of the medical/scientific article where you have found proof of cause and effect? Because I haven't seen any articles of that conclusion. Thanks.

Amy

rule62

Post by rule62 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:09 am

Same with the rotten teeth. That's been an internet hoax for quite some time. No available studies show any relationship. People just like to believe the first thing they hear. If you ate a carrot just before driving and had an accident, it must have been the carrot. (sorry for the pun)

Please don't take my criticism the wrong way. It is not your fault that you heard these rumors. We here on the forum are trying to keep it all fact based and through all the years we keep hearing the same stories about tooth loss, etc. Your problem may have some truth to it with the naloxone but if you can find a study it will surely validate your point.

My suggestion is to keep calling Suboxone doctors and tell them about your experience. They are few, but some doctors do prescribe the generic Buprenorphine. My brother in Oregon has a doctor who has always used it and never prescribed him Suboxone. Hard to find but not impossible.

Welcome to our forum and we do truly hope you find relief.
Don't take yourself so damn seriously

jls1229
Average Poster
Average Poster

Post by jls1229 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:24 pm

This is a side effect of suboxone FOR SURE. I remember before going on it, my boyfriend who had been on it in the past said the only thing he didn’t like about it was the numbness in his hands at night. Now I have it. I wake up constantly having to change my arm position and try not to have it bent or under me. It SUCKS. But trust your gut-it’s the suboxone. Not anything else. I’m on no other meds and have no other conditions and it started exactly when I started suboxone. Hope this helps u!

Ashlee
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Post by Ashlee » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:02 pm

Jls1229,

Look no one is saying that you're a liar. They are simply asking for proof/ evidentiary support via an article, scientific research, etc. I will tell you something, for the past three months (this is the first time I'm mentioning it) I've been waking up every morning with my hands swollen. It could be because I sleep in an air conditioned 60° room every night, but after a while, the swelling dissipates. Who knows what it is? I've been taking Suboxone since April 13th, 2017. What you're claiming, I can semi relate to... I just can't say for sure it's the Suboxone causing it. Have you brought this up to your doctor? Hopefully one of our Drs. here will come by & chime in. They would know better than we do.

I really hope your symptoms go away soon, Jls1229!

Ash
I may not have all what I want, but thank GOD I know how that I have all that I need.

Somechick45
New Poster
New Poster

This IS a side effect.

Post by Somechick45 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:30 am

I’ve been on sub for over 5 years now. My dad was on them for 10. Hand numbness is a side effect of them. More so in the fingers and finger tips. I don’t know why people love to get on these posts and argue with one another. Not everyone experiences the same side effects, but just because it hasn’t happened to you, doesn’t mean it isn’t an issue in someone else’s life.

Amy-Work In Progress

Post by Amy-Work In Progress » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:27 pm

The reason we "argue" is that people have blamed just about anything on suboxone. From depression to eyesight problems, and from anxiety to gout (yes, gout!) If some symptom crops up while people on suboxone, they will blame the suboxone. Buprenorphine has been around for decades, first in Europe and then here. We encourage people to contact the FDA if they want to report a side effect. If enough people say the same thing to the FDA, they may end up researching a particular side effect. However, if there is no scientific evidence to back you up, these stories are just anecdotal. Anecdotes are fine, but we have to remember that they aren't evidence.

Amy

mikerob66
New Poster
New Poster

Post by mikerob66 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:55 am

I also get the numbness in the hands and it did not start until I went on suboxone. That being said I do have carpal tunnel but have never had the numbness. I like this site and love being on suboxone. The thing about this forum is the discussion, like you said just because you hear it doesn’t make it true but it also doesn’t make it untrue. It is something that should be discussed and maybe studied a bit harder by the powers that be with the ability to confirm or disprove this phenomenon
Thanks for responding to the numbness thing because it has brought it to discussion.

Amy-Work In Progress

Post by Amy-Work In Progress » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:56 pm

I get what you're saying. I do want to remind you that the only way to have this studied by the powers that be is to report your symptoms to the FDA.

I continue to scour the internet for scientific research that proves any side effect. A couple of weeks ago someone asked if suboxone could be causing her heart palpitations and difficulty breathing. I went to the suboxone website and they were listed as potential side effects, so I told her that and provided a link to where I found the information.

When I come on and comment that there is no proof that suboxone causes numbness in the hands, I'm not trying to shut down discussion. When someone makes the comment that anecdotal evidence is as good as scientific evidence I will dispute that.

In the first two pages in our side effects section here are some things that are listed:

Beware the Narcotic Ileus
Severe Itching
Feeling the need to pee all the time
Shampoo Interaction
Liver Pain
Severe Breast Pain
Low Red and White blood cell count
Psoriasis
Dysautonomia
Hyperosmia
Baldness/Alopecia
Difficulty Breathing
Joint Pain
Gastrointestinal effects
Blurred Vision
Colon Cancer
Depression
Skin Issues
Numb Hands
AND
Smelly Burps

That is just on the first two pages!!

I try to look at our forum from the eyes of a newbie who is considering going on buprenorphine. If I went to the side effects section as a potential patient I would run screaming to the hills!!

So if you are implying that we don't allow discussion about potential side effects, I would beg to differ. If you object to my practice of always pointing out that a side effect is unproven until scientific evidence backs it up? I'm not going to stop doing that. I have to watch out for the newbie who could be freaked out by that list of nasty looking side effects. You guys can talk about anecdotes all the time. About how buprenorphine gave you foot fungus and an STI just by looking at it, LOL! I'm going to keep doing what I do. :D

I hope I didn't offend anyone because I was tying to be light hearted.

To be honest, I've started to get numbness in my hands. And yes, it's coincided with being on buprenorphine!! But being on buprenorphine has also coincided with me being on my laptop all the time for this forum! So is it a buprenorphine problem or is it the consequence of typing on my laptop so much of the time?

Amy

jennjenn

Post by jennjenn » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:57 am

I 100% agree with everything Amy said. I too look at certain things the way a newbie would and the last thing I want them to take away is thinking buprenorphine is causing smelly burps, colon cancer, shampoo issues (what??) and arachnophobia (I’ve been waiting for this one). The person reading these side effects would possibly not try buprenorphine treatment because of this and that would be a mistake in my opinion. So when I see certain side effects that is nit picky or could be caused by anything else but because someone happens to be taking suboxone, I don’t want to scare anyone with unproven side effects.

We obviously welcome side effects or their wouldn’t be a side effects section, but over the years I’ve seen it go from just side effects to everything imaginable.

I think I said “side effects” way too much in this post lol I’m sorry about that :)
Jennifer

Galaxygaze00
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Galaxygaze00 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:14 am

This is a side effect and is listed as a side effect. How is this even arguable? Does anyone actually read the attached information or pamphlet that comes with their script?