Important New Research about Side Effects

Does Suboxone hurt teeth? Why does the film taste bad? Am I high on Suboxone? If you have side effects to buprenorphine, discuss them here.
Amy-Work In Progress

Important New Research about Side Effects

Post by Amy-Work In Progress » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:50 am

There is now scientific research showing that the inactive ingredients found in prescription drugs can cause side effects in patients. Excerpt:

"A new study led by a team of investigators from Brigham and Women's Hospital and Massachusetts Institute of Technology has found that the vast majority of the most frequently prescribed medications in the U.S. contain at least one ingredient capable of causing an adverse reaction. Known as inactive ingredients, these components are added to improve the taste, shelf-life, absorption and other characteristics of a pill, but the authors found that more than 90 percent of all oral medications tested contained at least one ingredient that can cause allergic or gastrointestinal symptoms in sensitive individuals."

Here is a link to the article I'm referencing:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 143250.htm

I have long suspected that there are ingredients in the suboxone film that cause symptoms in some people. For example, people on the film often get mouth ulcers at least once. I certainly did. But I have never heard folks complain about Zubsolv causing the same mouth ulcers.

It's important to make this distinction between side effects from fillers and other inactive ingredients and side effects from buprenorphine. Dr. Junig has researched the safety of buprenorphine and the studies prove that it is a benign drug with very few side effects. (By benign, I don't meant that buprenorphine is not a powerful opioid medication. Just that it doesn't produce many side effects.)

We should keep this study in mind when we are feeling side effects from suboxone films and other drug formulations.

Amy
Done is better than perfect!

rule62

Re: Important New Research about Side Effects

Post by rule62 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:18 pm

That was right on point. So many complain about Suboxone being the culprit of their side effects. Now we know where they may be coming from. Great article!
Don't take yourself so damn seriously

Abeliances
Average Poster
Average Poster

Post by Abeliances » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:10 am

Very informative article. Thank.

pamelaparker
New Poster
New Poster

Post by pamelaparker » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:53 am

Do not drink alcohol with buprenorphine. Buprenorphine can increase the effects

of alcohol, which could be dangerous.
Buprenorphine may cause side effects, such as -
Headache
Stomach pain
Constipation
Vomiting
Difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep
Sweating
Serious Side Effects of Buprenorphine:
Difficulty breathing or swallowing
Slowed breathing
Upset stomach
Extreme tiredness
Unusual bleeding or bruising
Lack of energy
Loss of appetite
Pain in the upper right part of the stomach

suboxdoc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by suboxdoc » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:34 pm

I removed the link to rehab centers in the last post. For the posting person, please respect our policies against posting promotional content.

For people who are not aware, there are a number of web sites that charge for listings from rehab centers, almost always programs that are abstinence-based. The 'articles' that those sites use to boost their listings contain very biased information. By biased, I mean inconsistent with recommendations by SAMHSA, ASAM, and the National Institute on Drug Abuse, all of which strongly call for increased use of medication in order to prevent death from opioid overdose.

The information those sites provide is slanted to create bias against medication-assisted treatment, scraping any scary material they can find from package inserts (which is what drugs.com consists of) without mention of the positive aspects of treatment - for example the fact that opioid overdose is prevented by almost 100% in patients on buprenorphine.

The list in the above post is an example of the information posted on those sites. Most people don't understand how package inserts are generated. Many people don't realize that EVERY side effect reported in studies for FDA approval must be included. So if one of the 100 patients trying the medication happens to have stomach pain, then 'stomach pain' goes into the package insert. Most large cities have at least one doctor or company that does med trials; those trials are open to the public, and some of my psych patients have enlisted in them. I've had patients who I've known for years to be prone to psychosomatic complaints, who somehow get themselves enrolled in such studies. I cringe that their reports are going to be part of the list of 'reported side effects' when the medications are approved.

When reviewing a package insert, keep that in mind. Also always compare the rate of symptoms with the rate of the same symptoms in the placebo group. That helps take out some of the nonsense, but doesn't prevent the situation I described in the prior paragraph.

The Brigham and Women's study described a variety of ingredients found in the most-common medications. Most of the ingredients are not found in buprenorphine medications, but the film does contain dyes and flavoring agents that are also found in foods. Most people who have a sensitivity to those ingredients are also going to have problems with flavors and dyes in food products. For example I've had a sensitivity to gluten for years, and the article points out that some medications may include gluten (gluten is the stiff part of wheat grain, and helps bind a pill together as well as provide the nice crust on bread).

Happy New Year everyone!

2901fulton
Average Poster
Average Poster

Post by 2901fulton » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:52 pm

By removing the link doesn't that make you biased to one way vs another ? Wouldn't it just be an opinion by the one who posted it ? Was there anything stated along with the link ?

jennjenn

Post by jennjenn » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:43 am

This forum is pro suboxone, pro MAT period. In my opinion anything that is negative needs to go. Call it whatever you wanna call it but that’s just the way it is for me. As far as promotional links, they just aren’t allowed period, regardless of the content.
Jennifer