Internal temperature messed up

Does Suboxone hurt teeth? Why does the film taste bad? Am I high on Suboxone? If you have side effects to buprenorphine, discuss them here.
jacksh
Average Poster
Average Poster

Internal temperature messed up

Post by jacksh » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:07 pm

Does anyone else get hot flashes/sweats intermittently from their suboxone? I am in my fourth week of treatment now and sometimes I feel so hot and start sweating, it lasts for a while, then I am back to normal.
Thank you

TeeJay
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Re: Internal temperature messed up

Post by TeeJay » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:03 pm

I noticed this when I switched from methadone to buprenorphine. Hot flushes and sweats that took quite a while to subside - a few months.

BlueLight
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Post by BlueLight » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:12 pm

Sounds normal, and it’s not the Suboxone. It’s the lack of a full Mu opioid receptor agonist aka...your former DOC.

jennjenn

Post by jennjenn » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:47 am

To be completely honest, I was having these exact symptoms/reactions for a few months or longer once I started buprenorphine. I’ve talked about this a lot on the forum. I’d sweat soooooooooooo much! I’d blow dry my hair and it would be soaking wet around my neck a min after I was done. I’d get out of the shower and be drenched in a second. If I did one thing that involved the least bit of effort, I would be completely soaked. It became embarrassing for me because my shirt would be wet in places when I’d be out shopping, my face would be glowing with sweat beads all the time. Every single person that I have spoken to in my clinic has had this when they first started, and even a few months in to treatment. I do think it’s listed as a side effect but I’m not positive.

The good news is that it does get better somewhat. I stopped after a few months or so but I sweat a lot now but I’m positive it’s my hormones. There’s really a lot of things that can cause sweating so who knows. I do know this though, this wasn’t just sweating more than usual for me, it was a full on gusher all day long for awhile. Regardless, I would take that any day of the week over active addiction. I took any symptoms that came my way like that, I’d always say to myself to bring it on because I can take it considering what a much better place I was in now :)
Jennifer

wannaBdrugfree
One Month or More
One Month or More

Post by wannaBdrugfree » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:10 pm

jacksh wrote:Does anyone else get hot flashes/sweats intermittently from their suboxone?
I’ve not had any sweating issues. I have definitely encountered hot flashes. The hot flashes started upon initiation to suboxone and got a little more pronounced over time. The hot flashes have leveled out now but are still present.

There are a few triggers I’ve noticed. Most notably the hot flashes occur about 3 hours before I get out of bed in the morning to pee and about 30 minutes after my morning dose. This one puzzles me; I always drink 3 cups of water when I awake just before I take my morning dose. Many times the hot flashes happen about 5-10 minutes after drinking the water. They are a little uncomfortable but short-lived, they last about 1-3 minutes and I do not get them each day.

Whether or not this is related to suboxone is hard to say, I believe it is. I just hope it is not a forerunner to a serious health condition. At any rate, for the time being, the benefits of suboxone outweigh the drawbacks.

BlueLight
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Post by BlueLight » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:33 am

Suboxone does alter your hormones a bit. Specifically, it raises prolactin levels, which then have downstream effects on estrogen and testosterone. So some hot flashes for woman I think isn’t surprising. Raised prolactin in men is a libido killer, and lowers testosterone.

The extreme sweating thing is very uncommon but not unheard of. There were 2 or 3 guys that suffered from it in my larger Hazelden IOP group of 120 guys and 45 gals. But theirs wasn’t hot flashes, just pouring sweat. It got a lot better for them once they got their doses below 12 mg. I reached out to them based on this thread and that was their intel.

One other weird side effect that a lot of us agree on, was a specific joint pain, phantom joint pain, and random joint pain that rotated. Especially, early on in treatment. I had bizarre wrist and elbow pain. Another guy had pain from a decade old surgery that hadn’t hurt in years. Stuff like that. Nothing major, just annoying.

jennjenn

Post by jennjenn » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:34 am

My clinic has daily meetings for patients, it’s required to attend and it gets more relaxed the longer you’re there, but in the new stages of treatment it’s required to attend once or twice a week. IOP members have to attend 3 meetings a week for 3 hours at a time. Newer members are in the same meetings as the longer term members, so I get to interact with a lot of newer members. I do some peer counseling in the IOP so I talk with them too and a lot of these patients do complain about the sweating way more than normal. Maybe it’s aggravated by how extreme the weather is here and starting treatment, I don’t have an answer but I swear that here in my clinic (which has at least 200 patients or so) it is brought up a lot. My nephew went to a neighbor clinic but called me after his induction asking me if it was normal to be so hot and sweaty. It could be some kind of hormonal issue, weather issues to heighten it, I have no idea but it is a complaint here in my immediate area. Now it’s hot as hell here with humidity making it to where you can’t breathe, maybe this weather makes a sweating situation even more sweaty, but it’s definitely noticeable up to a few months after starting treatment here. That’s all I have to go on other than this forum though, I’m not saying it’s 100% from the buprenorphine because I’m definitely not always right, but personally I believe it is.

The thing about it is, there’s not much you can do about it if it’s caused by the suboxone except just ride it out because it does get better. It got better with me and it got better with others I’ve talked to about it. I know it sucks but I believe it’ll level out after awhile :)
Jennifer

TeeJay
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Post by TeeJay » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:44 pm

BlueLight wrote: One other weird side effect that a lot of us agree on, was a specific joint pain, phantom joint pain, and random joint pain that rotated. Especially, early on in treatment. I had bizarre wrist and elbow pain. Another guy had pain from a decade old surgery that hadn’t hurt in years. Stuff like that. Nothing major, just annoying.
Chronic use of opioids does cause hyperalgesia.

Mumin
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Mumin » Wed May 01, 2019 2:32 am

Sage helped me with my sweating when i used Suboxone, couldn't go a day without it. I would notice instantly if i forgot to take my Sage extract in the morning before going to work, i'd sweat all day from the least amount of work.

Now i don't know if this is the exact problem that i had but it might be worth looking into for you. Linking to a certain product isn't allowed here AFAIK but PM me if you want me to link which product i've been using. Or try googling Sage extract, i'm sure you'll find something/someone selling it.

Here's some health benefits from sage:
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/sage

PS. After my experiences with Sage extract i'm always having a little bottle at home (i use it in liquid form). If i know that i'm going to do something that's going to make me sweat a lot, i take a few drops before i go e.g. training, tough work or if i'm going to wear a shirt at some kinda nice event or something it helps against my armpit sweats :wink:

Ryan Ryan Ryan
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Ryan Ryan Ryan » Fri May 31, 2019 2:01 am

Us males get the hot flushes too. At work, it was be unbearable when I got it but luckily it comes and goes in about 10 seconds duration only every 20 minutes. I've been on it a year now and its not too bad though I still feel by body temp is quite high.