Sick of the Lies

Methadone treatments have been the gold standard for treating opioid addictions for decades. What are the advantages of methadone? Questions about methadone-assisted treatment go here.
Brenn55
Average Poster
Average Poster

Sick of the Lies

Post by Brenn55 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:19 pm

So I attend a group at the outpatient counseling program I see my mental health counselor at. But this program is both a mental health and chemical dependency program. So I attend groups there instead of the clinic because I get take homes so I only go one day a week and my day they don’t have any groups beneficial for me. So it’s a lot shorter ride to attend groups at this program than driving downtown, I see my drug counselor at the clinic I should mention. Anyway the group I attend is for all the people in the program who are being treated for opiate addiction with Replacement Therapy. A lil background info I live in a pretty wealthy suburb in upstate NY and the program is in that suburb. So as you can imagine everyone is on some form of Buprenorphine besides myself because these people would never go to the clinic in the middle of the worst neighborhood in Buffalo. Anyway I just need to vent a little. Being the only one on methadone in the group these people look at me like a black cat because I’m on methadone not Suboxone. So at the end of our last group we started talking about methadone vs Suboxone the pros n cons etc.. And that’s when I lost my cool a little. First and foremost just because methadone is a full antagonist doesn’t mean you get high or a buzz. Just because you took it out on the street during active addiction ONE TIME n got high doesn’t mean people on methadone maintenance do, a matter a fact for me personally I caught more of a buzz off my Suboxone than I do on my regular methadone dose. Secondly not everyone at a methadone clinic is a junkie, sure your average person at a methadone clinic doesn’t dress as nice as a private Suboxone Dr patient may. But these people are stuck in this Williamsville bubble thinking they are better than everyone n it drives me nuts. Luckily I was not raised that way n my first house of my own was in a rough Buffalo neighborhood so I learned quick that nobody is better because of where they live or what they have. I just recently bought a house where my parents live/grew up. I’ve met some of the nicest most unique people at my clinic. Yes you do have people at the clinic who take methadone n mix it with benzos because that mimics a similar high to H, and those are the people you will see nod out. And those are the people that give the rest of us a bad name/look n the stigma that follows methadone. Also we aren’t all H addicts who used needles and probably have diseases, honestly I cannot make half the shit up that these people come up with. Lastly yes it sucks going to clinic every day till you get take homes but that doesn’t make Suboxone a better option because you wouldn’t wanna do that. A matter a fact MY PERSONAL OPINION the clinic setting n daily visits when you first start is the best option. Im not saying that everyone does this but I know I did and a lot of the other people at my clinic who first started out on subs n switched to methadone did this. We are addicts you can’t hand us a script of opiates and send us on our way thinking everything will workout. Most of us first would double triple our dose to catch a small buzz or we learned you can get a decent penny for subs so we just sold our scripts so we can buy our DOC. So the clinic setting eliminates that kind of behavior, also you get everything you need at the clinic 1 on 1 counseling groups and you can make apps to see a Dr if you need to. While in my experience you need to find outside counseling because you don’t get anything but your script from the sub Dr. And what makes me most upset about all this I asked them were do you guys get this crap 8 out of 12 said from there Suboxone Dr! I laughed my ass off and said of course they are gonna feed you those lies and try and scare you away from methadone so they can keep collecting that cash co pay etc..... Sorry for my rant but I’m sick of the lies especially the methadone gets you high one. I couldn’t stay clean to save my life on Suboxone while I haven’t relapsed once since I switched to methadone.
One Day At A Time

rule62

Re: Sick of the Lies

Post by rule62 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:15 pm

Good rant. Feel free to unload any unpleasant experiences you encounter out in the recovery world. If buprenorphine doesn't work for you we get it. Why anyone would question whether or not a person catches a buzz on it is just not thinking straight. Maybe the general public but not at meetings where they are supposed to be in the same boat as you.

Keep on the good path if it works for you. You'll get no grief from us. We here support whatever MAT recovery program works for you.
Don't take yourself so damn seriously

suboxdoc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by suboxdoc » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:02 am

Treatments using methadone or buprenorphine have more similarities than differences. Most of the former methadone-assisted treatment programs in my area now offer methadone, buprenorphine, or Vivitrol. The courts and law enforcement favor Vivitrol, even though it is my least-favorite option. I work in both types of programs; a methadone program in the morning and my 'obot' practice in the afternoons (office-based buprenorphine treatment).

For the past few years I've been referring most new patients to methadone treatment. I like the structure, monitoring, and counseling that those programs can provide. When I do take a new buprenorphine patient it is usually someone who has been doing well on methadone for a year or more but lost insurance. Office based buprenorphine is much less expensive for those people (over $500 per month for methadone, and less than $200/month for buprenorphine). For people on state insurance, methadone is cheaper.

I'm short on time, and this deserves a longer discussion.

Brenn55
Average Poster
Average Poster

Post by Brenn55 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:31 am

rule62 wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:15 pm
Good rant. Feel free to unload any unpleasant experiences you encounter out in the recovery world. If buprenorphine doesn't work for you we get it. Why anyone would question whether or not a person catches a buzz on it is just not thinking straight. Maybe the general public but not at meetings where they are supposed to be in the same boat as you.

Keep on the good path if it works for you. You'll get no grief from us. We here support whatever MAT recovery program works for you.
My thoughts exactly aren’t we all here to support one another not judge one another. I’m going to let my counselor at this program know what happened. I’m very upset that the counselor who runs the group even let the topic get as far as it it did.
One Day At A Time

BlueLight
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Post by BlueLight » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:25 am

Let’s be perfectly honest...were any of us really getting high off our opiate DOC towards the end anyway? I ran a 17 year habit. I hadn’t got “high” in well over a decade. I used simply to feel “normal”, and not get sick AF. If methadone is working for you, and you’re not abusing it, and living a “normal” life again, free from the obsession of using...that’s all that matters.

I’ve had similar experiences with buprenorphine. People declaring I’m getting high off of it. I don’t. Never have. Never once taken more than prescribed. That NEVER happened with Oxy, fentanyl, or hydromorophone! Everyone’s brain chemistry is a little different. I honestly think some people’s brain chemistry allows them to get high on buprenorphine, but I think this is a small %% and that they usually either shoot it or take a huge dose. Who knows? But that’s my experience.

Brenn55
Average Poster
Average Poster

Post by Brenn55 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:18 am

suboxdoc wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:02 am
Treatments using methadone or buprenorphine have more similarities than differences. Most of the former methadone-assisted treatment programs in my area now offer methadone, buprenorphine, or Vivitrol. The courts and law enforcement favor Vivitrol, even though it is my least-favorite option. I work in both types of programs; a methadone program in the morning and my 'obot' practice in the afternoons (office-based buprenorphine treatment).

For the past few years I've been referring most new patients to methadone treatment. I like the structure, monitoring, and counseling that those programs can provide. When I do take a new buprenorphine patient it is usually someone who has been doing well on methadone for a year or more but lost insurance. Office based buprenorphine is much less expensive for those people (over $500 per month for methadone, and less than $200/month for buprenorphine). For people on state insurance, methadone is cheaper.

I'm short on time, and this deserves a longer discussion.
I agree 100% that the structure Methadone clinics offer is best for new patients starting out. Those daily visits suck but are huge in the beginning because it helps us establish a routine/schedule something most addicts don’t have before recovery. But my favorite part and played a huge role in my success was having a counselor onsite that actually is familiar n knowledgeable on methadone and MAT Treatment. In my many failed rehab counseling attempts during my time on Suboxone I found that most counselors are not familiar with Suboxone and I would have to explain what it is which is frustrating because that was a huge part of my recovery! So having a counselor at the clinic made me feel a lot better about the 1 on 1 counseling I was getting. Another thing I really like about the clinic setting is it gives you that goal of wanting to work hard towards getting your take homes. And when you finally do get them you feel so good about yourself because you know you stayed clean passed all your UAs for x amount of time. Overall I just had much better success with methadone I don’t know why maybe I was finally ready or maybe it was the lil side effects I had compared to Suboxone who knows.
One Day At A Time

jennjenn

Post by jennjenn » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:10 am

I think it’s all about the area you live in because in my area a lot of people have HUGE judgements concerning suboxone. There isn’t a methadone clinic in my immediate area so there’s no judgment on methadone ever. It definitely isn’t just rich people or wealthy types going to suboxone clinics, our clinic takes Medicaid. As a matter of fact, there’s ppl at our clinic that can’t even afford their copayment of $10. It really is where you’re from or what area you’re in. I haven’t ever heard judgment of methadone like you’re describing and I think methadone maintenance is just as important as suboxone.

I don’t think ppl are getting high on methadone maintenance. Personally, I abused methadone on the street and I always wondered if I’d want more in a setting where you couldn’t get more but that’s only because I abused it. People abuse suboxone too. Really, there shouldn’t be any of us judging each other. That’s so crazy to me. I think there’s ppl who don’t do well with suboxone just like ppl who don’t do well with methadone, it’s an individual choice.

Don’t let judgmental ppl get ya down. Addicts judging other addicts is so ridiculous to me! Maybe they should be more concerned with their own recovery and stop worrying about what their neighbor is doing. They should really mind their own business. I’d be ranting too if I were you! But please don’t think it’s like that everywhere because it definitely isn’t like that here. We get so much negativity in my area because we are in a suboxone clinic.
Jennifer