Old member new name

The pharmacist eyes you suspiciously, and suddenly you wished you had shaved earlier this morning... your second-grade teacher is in line behind you, talking to your girlfriends mother... as the pharmacist yells for all to hear, 'I'm sick of YOU PEOPLE-- and I'm not filling this for you anymore!' Or your doctor, after increasing your pain meds for years, suddenly treats you like a criminal...
AZvet
Average Poster
Average Poster

Old member new name

Post by AZvet » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:48 pm

My last screen name was Gr8fullGodguy or something similar. I lived in Az and went to a great doctor in Vegas thanks to Rule62. I’ve been around the suboxone block so to speak. I’m a member of Mobilize Recovery and a couple other groups. My new goal in life is to educate pharmacists and doctors. A suboxone patient CANNOT run out of meds. I get people screw up but unless the patient in question is selling their strips they cannot be allowed to run out. I posted this on Facebook

Hello recovery family. I have been having a hard time. During this pandemic our daughter was shot in the head and with all of the stress I reverted to old behavior and overtook my suboxone. I have been in MAT for a number of years. Successfully I may add. I realize that I did this to my self.
All of that being said we also have children at home. Like many of you being “sick” is not an option during the best of times let alone when our daughter is in ICU during the pandemic. I let my provider know what was happening and that I was out of meds last Thursday. I was hoping that they would have a little compassion (yes I know my own fault) and they would call in sub and monitor me closely. That did not happen. I received very little support and most of you can guess where I’m at now. I’ve reached out to several providers in hopes of getting something (sub) to no avail.
I’m not really sure why I’m sharing this except to say our system is BROKEN. Part of the harm reduction model HAS GOT TO BE realizing that we are human, fallible, and prone to make a mistake!

Frustrated in Mi.!

I was using a telehealth provider out of Lansing. I begged for sub and told them I was out looking for heroin. I’ve never done heroin but I couldn’t be sick. Finally another provider reached out to me and sent in a prescription. My pharmacy would not fill it. I had to have my new provider call another pharmacy that fortunately filled the script.
I understand that we shouldn’t be running out of meds and normally I don’t but I fear what will happen if docs or pharmacists consistently won’t help us if we do. I’m thankful to be alive and that I didn’t find any dealers. Please understand my “looking “ was a last resort and I was in withdrawal.

rule62

Re: Old member new name

Post by rule62 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:42 am

Glad to have you back AZ. Yes, I remember you quite well and knew you were having a hard time driving all the way to Vegas to get your meds. Insurance wouldn't cover it because it was out of state. Such bullcrap!

My doctor is still here and nothing has really changed since you quite driving over. So what is your status now?
Don't take yourself so damn seriously

jonathanm1978

Post by jonathanm1978 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:21 am

I have found myself in this very situation and it's hard..it really is.
I don't know if it's just me or what..but the dr reddy's version of the 8/2 just doesn't seem like it's acting the same or doing what it is supposed to do..and that has caused me issues but...what can ya do...deal with it.
I hate to confront my doctor about it because it's not her fault..but she can't really affect the efficacy of the medicine...there is only so much she can do for me and I haven't bothered her with the issue ( not yet anyway)..

Does anyone else notice the same thing?
Adam Wayne P.
DOB: July 1, 1985
October 8, 2013

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.

suboxdoc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by suboxdoc » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:52 am

AZVET, I'm very sorry about your daughter.

I don't think I've ever forced a patient to go without buprenorphine after they overtook or lost medication. When it happens repeatedly, I've made patients use smaller amounts, for example giving 10 doses for ten days, rather than 20 doses. My goal with that is to teach the person that the effect from a smaller dose is almost exactly the same as from a larger dose. I don't know if it teaches anything,

I'll share a doc's perspective. I used to write on my blog about these things, as some of you know. The regulators and medical boards do not have knowledge or understanding of medication-assisted treatment. They are much more concerned about diversion than they are about patients being without medication. Pharmacists are very ignorant about buprenorphine, and argue when I ask them to fill a script early for a patient. Law enforcement doesn't get it either. To all of those people, drug addicts don't matter. Likewise, doctors who haven't been addicted to opioids don't understand that cravings can be activated during trauma, and don't understand how miserable withdrawal feels.

As for Dr Reddy's 8/2, I've heard similar complaints. One patient of mine insists that the Dr. Reddy product has 'destroyed his life'. I usually point out to people that medications do not require craftsmanship; they aren't like furniture, where they can be well-made or poorly made. Buprenorphine is buprenorphine. That said, I have heard complaints about Dr. Reddy's tab, and about smaller-tabbed versions of buprenorphine in general. I assume the issue relates to absorption, but I have no evidence for that.

Doctors have no control over the generic version that you receive at the pharmacy. Each pharmacy chooses vendors and product suppliers, and most probably keep only one generic version in stock. The only way that I know of to get a different generic is to go to a different pharmacy. Of course many pharmacies won't tell people what generic they provide!!

jonathanm1978

Post by jonathanm1978 » Tue May 05, 2020 3:57 pm

So...an update...

Returned to my doctor, albeit a week early, and explained that I was a week early and run completely out because I was having sweats, chills, sleep issues, etc with the dr. reddy's (that's ALL I've been given for the past 2-3 months)...and she was not the least bit concerned. Handed me the prescription, said if I had problems filling to have them call her...and said to either choose brand name or the other generic besides dr reddy's.

As my luck goes, the pharmacy said they had no idea when they could get any of the Sandoz brand generic...so my only other option was the brand name..easy choice between feeling like withdrawals and not feeling that.

It was nearly double my usual copay, but I can definitely handle that if it doesn't make me feel that way anymore. I actually can already tell a huge difference after just 1.5 films today...at this point a week ago, I would've already taken 3 and still feeling chills and sweats. Wife has been on my ass about turning on the AC at night, but i've been freezing (but waking up with a clammy sweat).
Adam Wayne P.
October 8, 2013

AZvet
Average Poster
Average Poster

Post by AZvet » Fri May 08, 2020 1:07 am

Thanks Rule, thank you Suboxdoc for giving me your perspective. I’m currently using a telemedicine Dr. (or PA?) that replied to a post on the FB page Mobilize Recovery.
One of my goals is to educate Doctors, nurses, therapists, politicians etc... about this medicine. I have been on suboxone for a long time and as I said before most doctors, pharmacists etc...don’t have a clue. It’s not like I run out early often but if I did I would expect my doctor to do just what you said. Give a prescription for a week and build back up. Taking “extra” is part of the disease/disorder whatever you want to call it.

Thank you all

jonathanm1978

Post by jonathanm1978 » Sat May 09, 2020 7:18 am

I can absolutely see a difference in the past 3 days, versus the previous month prior to the last 3 days. I had gotten to a point where I was craving the Dr. Reddy's version of the medicine. I could just taste it. It was like being thirsty and almost like craving water when you are thirsty. Except I was just imagining the medicine's taste instead of water. I thought it was just me, or that it was some addict behavior...since I have been on the generics for nearly a year..most of last year was spent getting a mix of the Sandoz and Dr Reddys ....only the past couple months has it been where the pharmacy can't get the Sandoz because they are out..so I've been forced on the dr reddys.

The last 3 days, I've not craved the taste of the brand name. That stopped with about the 2nd or 3rd dose of the brand name Suboxone. I don't know what the difference is, obviously I can only say what I personally have going on..but it almost feels like I'm starting treatment all over again. Like...I've been taking nothing, and began taking Suboxone again. Not saying the dr reddys did nothing for me, just saying it seems like it just wasn't a strong enough dose for my body to recognize it. I just don't know to be honest. Quite confused..but definitely not falling for the generic trap again. I'll just pay a little extra to make sure it's right.
Adam Wayne P.
October 8, 2013