New member saying hello

Share something about yourself, where you live, and what you like to do. Save your addiction story for that section.
LukeAU
Average Poster
Average Poster

New member saying hello

Post by LukeAU » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:56 pm

Hi guys and girls,

I'm Luke, 40, from Australia. Heroin was my poison. Fortunately for me, I pulled up relatively quickly, after about 5 months. I stayed on buprenorphine for about the same length of time, and am now tapering down, to quit, and then recommence naltrexone, which worked extremely well for me. Currently at 3.5mg.

docm2
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Re: New member saying hello

Post by docm2 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:30 am

Hi Luke and welcome:
Could you elaborate a bit for us. How did you end up on a run of heroin and then Suboxone if Naltrexone worked extremely well.
It works if on it, but I have had the problem with folks getting just a couple of the monthly injections, then stopping. The relapse rate is the same if they had never been on it and now they have no tolerance, and end of dead when they pick up again.
The research is showing that folks do best if they stay on buprenorphine for at least a year.
Hope you avoided the catastrophe of the fires. Are they still having an effect on day to day life?

Docm2

rule62

Re: New member saying hello

Post by rule62 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:22 pm

Great to have you with us. This is a relatively new forum and getting new members is what we're trying to do.

Nice to know you were able to get from heroin to buprenorphine. Most say it's not strong enough and end up on methadone. Please take your time tapering and know that true success comes with a very gradual reduction. If it takes a long time, so be it. Some get off it quick and others wait until they know they won't relapse. There is obviously more success taking the long route.

The welcome mat is out and we hope you stick around to be a contributing member of our forum.
Don't take yourself so damn seriously