Burping, Bloating, GERD, and PAWS

How to stop Suboxone? How long should I be on buprenorphine? Is Suboxone withdrawal bad? How do I detox?
wiichongo_mhngy
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Burping, Bloating, GERD, and PAWS

Post by wiichongo_mhngy » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:27 am

I used subs for about 3 years. I quit cold turkey from approximately 6mg. I am currently 42 days clean and I do feel good, however, the PAWS are a struggle.

I was wondering though if anyone else ever experienced anything like this during withdrawals, especially this far along. I am burping every day like dozens of times. For the first two weeks of the withdrawals I was getting extremely bloated no matter how much I ate. I could eat an apple or a full meal and I would be super bloated. I suffer from GERD but I sort of nipped it in the bud and had it almost entirely under control. However, since the withdrawals started I have noticed an increase in my reflux. Now, I mostly suffer from silent reflux which isn't the typical heartburn or acidy feeling in your esophagus, instead, it would constantly feel as though there was a fist in my throat. That went away after a while and hasn't come back thank god, but another symptom I used to get came back with a vengeance. That symptom is a chest rattle or wheeze when I eat/drink certain things. I love coffee and it was never a trigger for my reflux even when it was at it's worst, however, in the past couple of weeks if I have a few sips I will get a chest rattle (like chest congestion) where I have to breathe in hard to clear it and sometimes I need to clear my throat or I cough. It happens only with food and drinks that are known to cause reflux. Now I know that everything I described are symptoms and side effects of GERD, that isn't what I want to know.

What I want to know is if this is common or if anyone else has experienced tons of burping, bloating, and acid reflux after quitting subs?

I find it to be too coincidental that all of this started happening after I quit subs. If this is common can anyone explain to me why?

Also, is it normal for me to still be yawning uncontrollably this far along? It seems some people yawn for a really long time after quitting. I hate it because it puts a strain on my neck and my chest muscles because it is very frequent and sometimes the yawns are very powerful.
Here is my own family tradition; following footsteps into addiction
So, is there a way where I can find peace while still numbing my pain?

rule62

Re: Burping, Bloating, GERD, and PAWS

Post by rule62 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:12 am

I'm not sure how to address this one. All the symptoms sound like GERD but I'm not a doctor. Have you discussed your stomach issues with a Gastroenterologist? They are the experts, not us. Nothing of that is related to stopping Buprenorphine so I will agree with you that it is coincidental.

The yawning is something else entirely. Yes, going through w/d's causes a person to yawn. At 42 days I agree it should have lessened by now. We do know that it takes a long time to get back to normal. Just hang in there and talk to your doctor about the symptoms you're having.

Congrats on your 42 days but in the big picture you've just begun your journey so give it time. Let's see what is happening by next year. Yes, I said a year. Not so much for the Suboxone, but for opiates in general. That's what they all told me in my 12 step meetings about getting off the pain pills. It can take up to a year or more to get back to normal from regular full agonist opiates.

Have you seen a doctor and discussed this stuff? That is the direction you need to go.

Hang in there. It will get better as time goes by.

rule
Don't take yourself so damn seriously

wiichongo_mhngy
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Post by wiichongo_mhngy » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:30 am

rule62 wrote:I'm not sure how to address this one. All the symptoms sound like GERD but I'm not a doctor. Have you discussed your stomach issues with a Gastroenterologist? They are the experts, not us. Nothing of that is related to stopping Buprenorphine so I will agree with you that it is coincidental.

The yawning is something else entirely. Yes, going through w/d's causes a person to yawn. At 42 days I agree it should have lessened by now. We do know that it takes a long time to get back to normal. Just hang in there and talk to your doctor about the symptoms you're having.

Congrats on your 42 days but in the big picture you've just begun your journey so give it time. Let's see what is happening by next year. Yes, I said a year. Not so much for the Suboxone, but for opiates in general. That's what they all told me in my 12 step meetings about getting off the pain pills. It can take up to a year or more to get back to normal from regular full agonist opiates.

Have you seen a doctor and discussed this stuff? That is the direction you need to go.

Hang in there. It will get better as time goes by.

rule

Thank you for the response. Yes, I have seen my doctor regarding these symptoms and I am going to see a GI this week. I know it is my GERD but I just find it so strange that all of these things started happening a few days after I quit. I actually suspect I may have a hiatal hernia as these are all symptoms (not the yawning). If you aren't familiar a hiatal hernia is when your stomach bulges up through your diaphragm. The main reason I think I have one is because I have also had this strange symptom where it feels like I cannot take a proper deep breath. It's as though I inhale and then I feel this pressure right where a hiatal hernia occurs, and it's like my breath just stops. I have seen my GP about this, a cardiologist, even went to the ER and the good news is it isn't anything serious. I am actually looking forward to seeing the GI so I can clear this up. The breathing thing is awful and it makes me so much more depressed. I sort of feel like I took my life back by quitting the subs and now this breathing thing stole my life right away from me.

I appreciate the encouraging words. From tons of research it seems as though some people experience yawning during PAWS for a while, so I think it will go away with time. It's just a hassle.

suboxdoc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by suboxdoc » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:59 pm

A couple minor but important points: your concerns aren't from stopping buprenorphine., but rather from going through opioid withdrawal from a relatively low level of dependence. People often stop by and focus on 'stopping subs', as you put it--- often to argue that one opioid is easier to stop than another. Approaching detox from that perspective adds unnecessary complexity. There is nothing unique to buprenorphine in regard to lowering tolerance, compared to other opioids-- beyond the ceiling effect that limits tolerance.

When people go through withdrawal on the way to normalizing tolerance, they experience brain hyperactivity. That hyperactivity increases sympathetic tone throughout the body, increasing the release of stress hormones. I would expect the process to increase acid production in the stomach, just as gastric ulcers can be aggravated by stress.

The gastroesophageal junction provides a block against reflux, and that block is reduced by opioids (and caffeine for that matter). But that doesn't match with you symptoms; I would expect reflux to decrease as opioid tone goes down.

Opioid tone reduces GI activity; it may be that the increased activity of your intestines are causing your bloating and burping symptoms. The 'chest rattle' you described sounds more like a symptom of mucous production than reflux. I say that because many people experience similar symptoms after eating that are cleared by a good cough. The aspiration that occurs with GERD is usually very painful, even when taking pump inhibitors like omeprazole, since the trachea and bronchi are very sensitive to the acid and digestive enzymes in stomach secretions. During withdrawal from opioids, you will have a hyperactive cough reflex (the opposite of the cough suppression during increased opioid tone). So you may be noticing the usual phlegm more than usual-- or maybe you're making more of it for some reason.

It takes 2-3 months for withdrawal symptoms to pass, from any opioid. At 42 days I would expect lingering symptoms of opioid withdrawal. People have different definitions for PAWS, but I've rarely seen 'acute withdrawal' end in less than 2 months, i.e. 60 days.

wiichongo_mhngy
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Post by wiichongo_mhngy » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:47 am

suboxdoc wrote:A couple minor but important points: your concerns aren't from stopping buprenorphine., but rather from going through opioid withdrawal from a relatively low level of dependence. People often stop by and focus on 'stopping subs', as you put it--- often to argue that one opioid is easier to stop than another. Approaching detox from that perspective adds unnecessary complexity. There is nothing unique to buprenorphine in regard to lowering tolerance, compared to other opioids-- beyond the ceiling effect that limits tolerance.

When people go through withdrawal on the way to normalizing tolerance, they experience brain hyperactivity. That hyperactivity increases sympathetic tone throughout the body, increasing the release of stress hormones. I would expect the process to increase acid production in the stomach, just as gastric ulcers can be aggravated by stress.

The gastroesophageal junction provides a block against reflux, and that block is reduced by opioids (and caffeine for that matter). But that doesn't match with you symptoms; I would expect reflux to decrease as opioid tone goes down.

Opioid tone reduces GI activity; it may be that the increased activity of your intestines are causing your bloating and burping symptoms. The 'chest rattle' you described sounds more like a symptom of mucous production than reflux. I say that because many people experience similar symptoms after eating that are cleared by a good cough. The aspiration that occurs with GERD is usually very painful, even when taking pump inhibitors like omeprazole, since the trachea and bronchi are very sensitive to the acid and digestive enzymes in stomach secretions. During withdrawal from opioids, you will have a hyperactive cough reflex (the opposite of the cough suppression during increased opioid tone). So you may be noticing the usual phlegm more than usual-- or maybe you're making more of it for some reason.

It takes 2-3 months for withdrawal symptoms to pass, from any opioid. At 42 days I would expect lingering symptoms of opioid withdrawal. People have different definitions for PAWS, but I've rarely seen 'acute withdrawal' end in less than 2 months, i.e. 60 days.
Thanks for the information. I never knew some of that. I am going to a GI next week but maybe this is all just from increased intestine activity.

The mucous thing makes sense as well as I have been having terrible post nasal drip as well.

I am unsure what you are trying to say in that first paragraph though.

Seeker11
Average Poster
Average Poster

Post by Seeker11 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:34 pm

yes suboxone and opiates in general (as well as coffee and cigarettes) gave me severe GERD and i had to completely change my lifestyle or risk esophegial lining damage

Mountainmama1
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Mountainmama1 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:45 pm

I quit subs for 10 days . Withdrawal was brutal so I had to get back on meds. Now even though I take them again I burp constantly and get bloated ! Thanks for sharing I know I’m not alone
wiichongo_mhngy wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:27 am
I used subs for about 3 years. I quit cold turkey from approximately 6mg. I am currently 42 days clean and I do feel good, however, the PAWS are a struggle.

I was wondering though if anyone else ever experienced anything like this during withdrawals, especially this far along. I am burping every day like dozens of times. For the first two weeks of the withdrawals I was getting extremely bloated no matter how much I ate. I could eat an apple or a full meal and I would be super bloated. I suffer from GERD but I sort of nipped it in the bud and had it almost entirely under control. However, since the withdrawals started I have noticed an increase in my reflux. Now, I mostly suffer from silent reflux which isn't the typical heartburn or acidy feeling in your esophagus, instead, it would constantly feel as though there was a fist in my throat. That went away after a while and hasn't come back thank god, but another symptom I used to get came back with a vengeance. That symptom is a chest rattle or wheeze when I eat/drink certain things. I love coffee and it was never a trigger for my reflux even when it was at it's worst, however, in the past couple of weeks if I have a few sips I will get a chest rattle (like chest congestion) where I have to breathe in hard to clear it and sometimes I need to clear my throat or I cough. It happens only with food and drinks that are known to cause reflux. Now I know that everything I described are symptoms and side effects of GERD, that isn't what I want to know.

What I want to know is if this is common or if anyone else has experienced tons of burping, bloating, and acid reflux after quitting subs?

I find it to be too coincidental that all of this started happening after I quit subs. If this is common can anyone explain to me why?

Also, is it normal for me to still be yawning uncontrollably this far along? It seems some people yawn for a really long time after quitting. I hate it because it puts a strain on my neck and my chest muscles because it is very frequent and sometimes the yawns are very powerful.