There is no reason to be afraid! (I quit cold turkey)

How to stop Suboxone? How long should I be on buprenorphine? Is Suboxone withdrawal bad? How do I detox?
wiichongo_mhngy
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Re: There is no reason to be afraid! (I quit cold turkey)

Post by wiichongo_mhngy » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:36 pm

Happy holidays and new year everyone! I’ve been forgetting to post. January first marked my 20 month mark. Another new year starting off clean. It’s definitely all over - any signs of withdrawals are entirely gone. I’ve been doing better than ever! I’ve lost 50lbs since I quit, I’ve been seeing a girl for over a month now, and I am genuinely happy. I just wanna thank you all again for the constant support. You’re all incredible people and I wish the best for all of you! I will keep trying to update at least once every month or two.
Here is my own family tradition; following footsteps into addiction
So, is there a way where I can find peace while still numbing my pain?

Amy-Work In Progress

Post by Amy-Work In Progress » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:20 pm

It is fantastic to hear about your continued progress!

Thank you for keeping us updated! We will want to eventually know when you get married and have kids! Lol!

Happy New Year!

Amy
Done is better than perfect!

jennjenn

Post by jennjenn » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:23 am

20 MONTHS! *~*~*~*~*~*~*~* (I would love to use my phone emojis)

Congratulations Wii!
Jennifer

wiichongo_mhngy
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Post by wiichongo_mhngy » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:36 pm

Hey everyone, today is my 22 month mark. So close to two years already. My god, does time fly.
I’ve really been doing good. I truly feel free of subs and opiates in general. I’ve still been seeing the same girl and things are great. She’s truly amazing, very supportive, and even though we didn’t know each other when I was still on subs, she’s so incredibly proud of me. For the first time in I don’t know how long, I’m truly happy.

Thank you all for your support.

I will post again at 2 years!

Amy-Work In Progress

Post by Amy-Work In Progress » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:02 pm

I'm very happy for you! Thank you again for coming back here to post updates. Your story inspires so many folks here!

Keep up the good work!

Amy

Justin999
Super Poster
Super Poster

Post by Justin999 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:42 am

Great to hear. I remember reading your first entries to prepare for my jump. I’m coming up on 2 years soon as well. I think I quit June of 2017. Due to life circumstances, It has been a rough year and a half but I am glad that I don’t have to use drugs to cope with difficult circumstances anymore. Things are beginning to look much brighter and we can overcome anything after what we’ve been through.

wiichongo_mhngy
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Post by wiichongo_mhngy » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:59 am

Justin999 wrote:Great to hear. I remember reading your first entries to prepare for my jump. I’m coming up on 2 years soon as well. I think I quit June of 2017. Due to life circumstances, It has been a rough year and a half but I am glad that I don’t have to use drugs to cope with difficult circumstances anymore. Things are beginning to look much brighter and we can overcome anything after what we’ve been through.

I am incredibly humbled to hear how my story inspired you. Congratulations on a year and a half. Keep fighting! Remember, we are always here for support.

jennjenn

Post by jennjenn » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:36 am

Congrats Wii! Wishing you tons of success in your future and your future relationship!
Jennifer

Amy-Work In Progress

Post by Amy-Work In Progress » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:09 am

Justin999 wrote:Great to hear. I remember reading your first entries to prepare for my jump. I’m coming up on 2 years soon as well. I think I quit June of 2017. Due to life circumstances, It has been a rough year and a half but I am glad that I don’t have to use drugs to cope with difficult circumstances anymore. Things are beginning to look much brighter and we can overcome anything after what we’ve been through.
Justin, I'm so glad to hear that things for you are turning around!! You are awesome!

Wi, your story has inspired more hope than you know! Just to hear that someone has had a smooth transition to life beyond buprenorphine is helpful to many who fear the worst.

Amy

wiichongo_mhngy
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Post by wiichongo_mhngy » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:05 pm

Figured I would share another quick update with everyone.
I know it’s not as important as being clean from bupe, but today marks three years since I quit smoking weed. It was a huge step for me because I never thought I’d stop. I was literally high 24/7, but I decided one day to just stop, and even though I’m around it quite often, I’ve never gone back. Three years really flew by.

Thanks again for all of your support. This site and all of you wonderful people on it are incredible!

BlueLight
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Post by BlueLight » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:56 am

Wiichongo, that’s a great reminder! WE DO RECOVER!

For the first 6 months I quit drinking the urge to drink was there 24/7. These past few months I have zero cravings for alcohol. In fact when it crosses my mind, or I drive past a liquor store, the idea of drinking is distinctly unpleasant. I never want to unleash that monster again, and fear even one drink might just do that, so I happily abstain completely.

wiichongo_mhngy
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Post by wiichongo_mhngy » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:27 pm

Hey everyone, today is 23 months!!!
I can’t believe I am just a month shy of two years.
With everyone’s support, the time really flew by.

So here’s my update:
No withdrawals at all. They’ve been gone.
No depression.
No malaise or fatigue.
Healthy living and things have been even better since I’ve been seeing this girl. She’s so incredibly supportive of me, and so proud of me, and I love her so much for that as well as a million other reasons.
I truly am happy.
I’ve restored all relationships I’ve lost with my family and close friends.
I believe I will truly reach my peak of happiness when I quit my job and find a new one. I hate this place so much.

Anyway, thank you all so much for like the hundredth time. You are all incredible and so supportive.
Will update at two years!

jennjenn

Post by jennjenn » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:03 pm

Wii CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! Sooooooo super inspiring. Thanks so much for your updates! Keep em coming.
Jennifer

Amy-Work In Progress

Post by Amy-Work In Progress » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:31 pm

I, too, am super happy for you! That's amazing!!

We look forward to seeing you in another month!!

Amy

wiichongo_mhngy
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Post by wiichongo_mhngy » Thu May 02, 2019 3:27 pm

Hello everyone! I did it!!! Yesterday (May 1st 2019) marked my two years sobriety. The time went by so fast!
Unfortunately I didn’t update yesterday because I’ve been in the hospital for the past three weeks with what’s presumed to be ulcerative colitis. When I first arrived at the hospital I was having extreme abdominal pain and they were going to give me morphine without even asking. Luckily I had made a comment that I only wanted Tylenol and refused anything else. I was just a couple weeks from my two year and nearly broke my sobriety because of the hospital. But I didn’t, and I am so grateful. I am being discharged very soon, probably after I finish typing this.

I just want to thank you all so much for the support. I will continue to update on how I’m feeling and with my progress.

wannaBdrugfree
One Month or More
One Month or More

Post by wannaBdrugfree » Thu May 02, 2019 11:35 pm

wiichongo_mhngy wrote: Just so everyone knows why I stopped cold turkey, it's because shortly after taking my increased dose (as I said I went from 2mg to 6mg) I would get what is called "pseudo dyspnea" or "fake shortness of breath". I can't really describe it too accurately but basically I felt like I couldn't take a deep breath. It's like halfway into a breath, it would just stop. This led to panic and I even went to the ER. All tests and x-rays came back fine which is how I narrowed it down to the subs. I was afraid to take even a really small dose as my last dose was actually 2mg and not 6mg, and that was the worst I ever felt the breathing thing. It has gone away since I quit. It is also a great reason to discourage me from ever wanting to do an opiate again. I'm way too afraid of feeling that breathing thing. It was horrible.
Ok,so after reading wiichongo_mhngy’s 2 year anniversary post today (congratulations wiichongo_mhngy), I read some of his earlier posts describing his experience on this topic.Surprisingly I ran across what he calls the reason he quit cold turkey as being breathing related or shortness of breath. Among other side effects while trying to go without he mentions hot flashes.

Just to clarify,I am still taking suboxone, actually Zubsolv. I am currently on between 6mg and 8mg each day. I rotate,6mg one day 8mg the next, this has helped me taper a bit and I hope to keep going lower! Not to low though,maybe 4mg. Also when I say 8mg, I really mean 5.7mg of Zubsolv which is equivalent to 8mg of suboxone.

I have had both,the hot flashes are just annoying or uncomfortable and are short lived for me, 2-3 minutes maximum and they do not happen each day. I have also encountered the shortness of breath or breathing problem he speaks of and they are more difficult to get thru. The breathing problem hits me after waking up from a sound sleep about midway thru the night.The shortness of breath makes it difficult to go back to sleep and it is almost identical to what wiichongo_mhngy describes.

Thank God the feeling passes eventually and it does not occur each day,in fact the breathing problem only happens maybe once every month or so. But I’ve had a few bad ones, they are similar to panic attacks and it seems like the more I reduce the dose,the less both the hot flashes and shortness of breath occur.

jennjenn

Post by jennjenn » Fri May 03, 2019 8:52 am

Congrats!!!!!!!

*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•* 2 YEARS *•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*

Amazing!
Jennifer

BlueLight
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Post by BlueLight » Fri May 03, 2019 12:47 pm

wiichongo_mhngy wrote:Hello everyone! I did it!!! Yesterday (May 1st 2019) marked my two years sobriety. The time went by so fast!
Unfortunately I didn’t update yesterday because I’ve been in the hospital for the past three weeks with what’s presumed to be ulcerative colitis. When I first arrived at the hospital I was having extreme abdominal pain and they were going to give me morphine without even asking. Luckily I had made a comment that I only wanted Tylenol and refused anything else. I was just a couple weeks from my two year and nearly broke my sobriety because of the hospital. But I didn’t, and I am so grateful. I am being discharged very soon, probably after I finish typing this.

I just want to thank you all so much for the support. I will continue to update on how I’m feeling and with my progress.
First of all, CONGRATULATIONS! Great job!

That said, while I applaud you being able to get thru the pain of your condition there is no shame in using or taking opiates when absolutely necessary. Had you been given the morphine, even if you agreed to it, would not have changed your sobriety one bit. The NA handbook even expressly states that narcotic painkillers will be necessary from time to time.

The only reason I said something is because I’ve run across this sentiment a few times in recovery rooms, and I think it can send a dangerous message that someone is no longer “clean” because they used painkillers for a brief period of time for a legitimate medical situation.

wiichongo_mhngy
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Post by wiichongo_mhngy » Sat May 04, 2019 9:29 am

wannaBdrugfree wrote:
wiichongo_mhngy wrote: Just so everyone knows why I stopped cold turkey, it's because shortly after taking my increased dose (as I said I went from 2mg to 6mg) I would get what is called "pseudo dyspnea" or "fake shortness of breath". I can't really describe it too accurately but basically I felt like I couldn't take a deep breath. It's like halfway into a breath, it would just stop. This led to panic and I even went to the ER. All tests and x-rays came back fine which is how I narrowed it down to the subs. I was afraid to take even a really small dose as my last dose was actually 2mg and not 6mg, and that was the worst I ever felt the breathing thing. It has gone away since I quit. It is also a great reason to discourage me from ever wanting to do an opiate again. I'm way too afraid of feeling that breathing thing. It was horrible.
Ok,so after reading wiichongo_mhngy’s 2 year anniversary post today (congratulations wiichongo_mhngy), I read some of his earlier posts describing his experience on this topic.Surprisingly I ran across what he calls the reason he quit cold turkey as being breathing related or shortness of breath. Among other side effects while trying to go without he mentions hot flashes.

Just to clarify,I am still taking suboxone, actually Zubsolv. I am currently on between 6mg and 8mg each day. I rotate,6mg one day 8mg the next, this has helped me taper a bit and I hope to keep going lower! Not to low though,maybe 4mg. Also when I say 8mg, I really mean 5.7mg of Zubsolv which is equivalent to 8mg of suboxone.

I have had both,the hot flashes are just annoying or uncomfortable and are short lived for me, 2-3 minutes maximum and they do not happen each day. I have also encountered the shortness of breath or breathing problem he speaks of and they are more difficult to get thru. The breathing problem hits me after waking up from a sound sleep about midway thru the night.The shortness of breath makes it difficult to go back to sleep and it is almost identical to what wiichongo_mhngy describes.

Thank God the feeling passes eventually and it does not occur each day,in fact the breathing problem only happens maybe once every month or so. But I’ve had a few bad ones, they are similar to panic attacks and it seems like the more I reduce the dose,the less both the hot flashes and shortness of breath occur.
Hey wannaBdrugfree, I am sorry that you are going through this. The breathing thing is best described as not getting a satisfying breath in and feeling air hungry. When you feel like you don’t get a satisfying breath, you start to dwell and panic on your breathing. These are the wrong things to do. First of all, I can promise that even though it doesn’t feel like it, you are breathing fine. Second, a good tip for better airflow when you are lying down or sleeping is to lay on your side. I always got more satisfaction with my breathing while laying on my side. When the breathing issue occurs just do anything to distract yourself from thinking about it, like I said, if you dwell it’s just going to feel worse. I was also taking Zubsolv when I quit. But I had experimented around and it didn’t matter what brand I used, the breathing thing would happen. When I took my final dose (which if I remember correctly was actually about .2mg less than what I was taking daily) the breathing thing was actually at its worst. That’s when I went to the hospital for it. The good news is, each day I never felt the breathing issue until I took the sub which helped me narrow it down to it being related to that. Also, 2 years clean now and I can tell you it was 100% sub related as it doesn’t happen to me anymore. I’m happy that nightmare went away and I wish you luck on your journey and to rid yourself of this pestering breathing thing.

TeeJay
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Post by TeeJay » Sat May 04, 2019 2:39 pm

Congratulations on your 2 years man! That's a huge milestone. Not many people make it to 2 years! The times I've tried abstinence I seem to have stumbled between 18 months and 2 years. In a few months I intend on having another go, and hearing your story is further inspiration.

I'm interested in hearing what exactly feels better in yourself and your life now you're clean off opioids compared to when you were on maintenance. Do you feel your mood has improved? What about your libido etc? Motivation? Stability? Do you feel like you have more of a life?

Also what, if anything, is more difficult?

Thanks for checking in. I love hearing people doing well post maintenance.

Are you involved in any programs to help you stay on the path of righteousness?