Tapering question

How to stop Suboxone? How long should I be on buprenorphine? Is Suboxone withdrawal bad? How do I detox?
Lazyhiker
Average Poster
Average Poster

Tapering question

Post by Lazyhiker » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:16 pm

I have tapered to .40 (current)
I did go to .35 for but then .25 for two days. Then skipped for 3days. I know I didn’t stabilize but I have trouble maintaining at .25. Have been there before. I thought if I skipped then went back to .25 dose I would feel better there but I didn’t and panicked and dosed again same day (start of day 4 skip). A week later, here I am. Stuck at .40 about to reduce again. Thinking about skipping two days then reducing.

My question is, on the taper program when you get to four days and quit, is it dragging out pain to dose then skip again? Also I wonder am I just dragging out the process by trying to get down so low? Should I jump from.40? It’s hard for me to measure the 8 mg pills into this low of a dose and I’m almost out of pre cut strips.

jeandianne
Super Poster
Super Poster

Re: Tapering question

Post by jeandianne » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:53 pm

I am sorry that no one has replied to your post. I am not currently tapering. When I have decreased dose, I have stayed on the new decreased dose for at least two weeks before reducing dose again. Give your body a chance to adapt. You my try .4 for a certain number of days then .3 for a day, then repeat. I hope that you get a response from someone that has been through the taper. I have been on 2 mg a day for years. I don't have motivation to taper at this time. Good luck to you.

jennjenn

Post by jennjenn » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:41 am

I can’t personally say either, I wish I had a personal answer for ya but unfortunately I just haven’t been there. Hopefully someone who has had experience with this low of a taper will be along shortly. If I were to offer advice, it would be to taper as low of a dose you can for as slow of a period as you can. Very slow and very steady :)
Jennifer

suboxdoc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by suboxdoc » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:26 am

I think that yes, you're dragging it out by waiting a few days then dosing again. The most common mistake people make is reducing a dose when they haven't fully adjusted to the last reduction. I tell patients to wait at LEAST 2 weeks after any dose reduction, and if they are still having withdrawal symptoms, STAY at that dose until the symptoms go away. Then make another small (tiny) reduction and repeat.

When we taper methadone, we reduce by about 2% each week. That's difficult when you aren't working with a liquid, so shoot instead for about 10% each month.

I suspect that you're going a bit faster, so when you think you think you're jumping from a low dose you're actually still falling from a higher dose. Try to avoid decreasing until you feel stable. You may need to divide up the day's dose and take it 3 times per day when you get to very low levels.

Lazyhiker
Average Poster
Average Poster

Post by Lazyhiker » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:10 pm

Thanks for the replies. As far as not getting a quick answer, they came at a good time. I’ve dropped again. Just started .12mg and was just thinking about skip/jump period.

I doubt I’m going to be able to break them any smaller so hoping this will be my last drop. I’m going to try to take docs advice and not do the skipping rebound thing. Once I am sure I’m stable here, I’m going to try to jump. I precut (and weighed) about two weeks worth. Hope to make the jump before I’m to the end of that but I can always prepare more. I’m trying to not rush the jump bc I want this to be it.

Lazyhiker
Average Poster
Average Poster

Post by Lazyhiker » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:50 pm

12 days off. Instead of skipping, I jumped and when I felt like buckling I just tasted a crumb.
Did that twice, dissolved and spat. Last ‘taste day’ was 12 days ago. Was just enough to take the mental edge off. Figured at this point it was mental anyway and I believe it was.