The story of a guy tapering off (developing)...

How to stop Suboxone? How long should I be on buprenorphine? Is Suboxone withdrawal bad? How do I detox?
rule62

Re: The story of a guy tapering off (developing)...

Post by rule62 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:36 pm

So good to hear you're doing alright. Thank you for posting your struggle so we could all follow along. From here on in it should only get easier.

After all you went through we know you'll succeed with flying colors!
Don't take yourself so damn seriously

jennjenn

Post by jennjenn » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:27 am

Ben good luck!!

Thank you for your posts and I am the first to admit that buprenorphine may not be for everyone. If someone has been abusing it and not been able to take it correctly, not doing the counseling and meetings too....of course this medication is not for everyone, that’s always been something I’ve said. If someone can be completely abstinent without needing MAT then absolutely that would be amazing and should not even consider it. There’s just so much to consider and it shouldn’t be something that isn’t researched and planned out if it’s truly the best route to go. There is a way to talk about that without being hurtful to those that have had their lives saved and blessed because of this medication. We’re adults so we can discuss things without being insulting at the same time so I appreciate how you’ve stuck to your journey and been respectful, that’s all we ask. And I agree with you that there really should be a better plan from the makers of suboxone to create a better taper plan or something.

Good luck Ben! Please keep us updated on how you’re feeling and what your days are like now that you’re totally off suboxone. It’s important to hear your journey...... at least it is for me :)
Jennifer

Bentakessubs
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Bentakessubs » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:53 am

Day 69 - 03/01: 0mg
Day 70 - 03/02: 0mg

Got outta town for the weekend, drove to Kansas City to get some sun and fun while I get through my past withdrawals. I’m
On my 4th day off today. I’ll feel good for a bit then feel restless. Sleep is still difficult at times. But I’m leveling out. I know once the physical stuff finishes in a couple days the depression will come and go a bit. And I have people to help me through that. And an understanding that it’s not going to last forever. It’s just a reaction to a chemical imbalance. Gonna get some Kc BBQ now and enjoy my renewed sense of hope. Thanks for all the love and support. You guys and gals are the best.

Bentakessubs
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Bentakessubs » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:04 am

Day 71 - 03/03 - 0mg

6th day off today. Still feeling a bit weird from time to time, but most of the withdrawal is out of the way. I know the half life on this medication is long which, in the past, has made the withdrawal unpredictable. But so far, so good. The really helpful thing about tapering over the course of 70 or so day’s is that I got a lot of the nasty withdrawal stuff out of the way early. So, all of this feels pretty tame in comparison of the jump I did from 12mg to 2mg over 10 days. It’s weird, because that was definitely the most intense withdrawal part, but then the 50 or 60 days it took me to get from 2 to 0 was also really hard. There were times I felt my body had adjusted to the lower dose and then it would randomly hit me the next day hard again. This has probably been one of the hardest and most gratifying things I’ve ever had to do. You know what they say, nothing good comes easy.

For years, I was terrified of withdrawal. As I think a lot of people are. It’s so scary to go through that. And while having to work? It’s incredible that anyone can do it. But I just hit a point where I wasn’t afraid anymore. I was ready to go through it. And I made it through, mostly, without having to take any extended leaves from work. I think, collectively through this whole process, I took about 2 and a half weeks off. Not too shabby. Also, I think learning how to work while feeling the more mild withdrawal symptoms really helped me in a way. It helped me understand that I’m not always going to feel good or even decent. And it doesn’t mean my life has to stop or be put on hold. Sometimes, working while I’m feeling that way was a welcome distraction. Other times, it was tough. And it’s a miracle one of my calls didn’t get monitored during the really bad stuff (if I had been monitored, I feel a stern conversation would have been had with me about my temper with customers).

Anyway, I just hope this helps someone out there. Suboxone is not a bad thing. If you want to be on it forever and you’re cool with that, then that’s great. But I do know there are people out there with the desire to get off of it and they’re just terrified of the months it takes to get off. Take it from someone who is doing it, it is scary. There’s part of me that feels like I cannot believe this whole journey took 2 months. Sometimes, it feels like it was so much longer than that. Feeling crappy day after day for a couple months while tapering and getting through endless work days where the second hand is moving so slowly. It just seemed so impossible at the time.

But after all that? I have my whole life ahead of me. And there will be more challenges again. Things will get harder. And then they’ll get easier. But all in all, 2 months in a drop in the hat. It’s nothing. And now that I’ve gotten through this, I can say with certainty that I am fucking bulletproof. There really isn’t anything else life could throw at me today that would be harder than what I’ve gone through over the last 70 days.

Hope this helps someone. Take care people.

💚 - B

Bentakessubs
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Bentakessubs » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:08 am

Day 12 of 0mg

So, I felt really great from days 6 to 10. But, I started feeling really tired / lethargic on the night of day 10. Then, yesterday on day 11, I started feeling SUPER tired. Getting mild chills. Feeling neck pain. And my calves are twitching A LOT. Like, if I look at my calves, it looks like the muscles are having mini spasms all over. I’m kind of freaking out about it. Like, is this the suboxone or something else? My calf muscles are still twitching and I don’t know if I should go to the doctor or just wait it out and see if it gets better. It’s been going on for like days now. Any advice or knowledge on this type of issue? 10 to 11 days seems like any physical symptoms / tiredness would be getting better, not worse.