Sleep Apnea

How to stop Suboxone? How long should I be on buprenorphine? Is Suboxone withdrawal bad? How do I detox?
IVHADIT
Average Poster
Average Poster

Sleep Apnea

Post by IVHADIT » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:12 pm

I am on day 16 or 17, I have a question for the Doctor or anyone else who can offer an opinion. The Insomnia is still very challenging, the last few days I think I am able to fall asleep 15 or 20 minutes at a time here and there because my body is exhausted.

What’s been happening the last few days is that I am waking up with heart palpitations, and stress, fear, etc...almost feels like I can’t breath for a moment..after only a couple of seconds I fully awaken and compose myself. I have never had this feeling before or any real sleeping problems while on Suboxone.

Could withdrawing from Suboxone cause a temporary state of Apnea, or, could my prolonged use have been masking Apnea?

I have a DR available to perform a sleep study, but I think my current sleep patterns are so screwed up, that it would be better to do the study after a couple of months in order to allow my body to return to whatever normal is ...Thanks..

kojohn16
New Poster
New Poster

Re: Sleep Apnea

Post by kojohn16 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:24 pm

I will start off say I am an addict, but here's my story and my current situation. I am currently 30 years old and a male and I was on oxycontin hydrocodone and tramadol for 6 years and got to the point I was taking 20 to 30 10 mg oxys or hydros a day and then I found suboxone in 2014. I thought at the time it was an excellent idea and my only escape from the pain pills and loosing everything. So now I have been on suboxone 8mg/2mg sometimes tablets sometimes strips for 6 years. I had felt wonderful for 6 years with a slow taper I started out on 2 tablets a day and slowly went down to 3/4 then I relapsed a bunch and went back up to 1 and 1/2 a day and have been there a straight year . In the summer of 2019 I had some high blood pressure so docs put me on blood pressure meds even tho I didn't really think I needed them just yet and I took 10 mg of lisinopril for 6 months and this year about beginning of January i started getting dizzy while driving anytime of day and doctors ruled it off as a pinched nerve or vertigo so I had to deal with it . Two weeks later I noticed anytime I sat down my heart palpatated hard and got short of breath. Went to doc for that they made me wear a 48hr heart monitor and did a sleep test on my and found I have sleep apnea and the heart monitor showed bradycardia at resting which is a very slow heart rate and while a slow heart rate is good for athletes unfortunately I'm not an athelete I'm 6 foot 300 lbs . So this whole thing started making me anxious so bad I was in and out of ER in the middle of night after waking up out of a dead sleep with a panic attack or a sudden adrenaline rush . So I went to see a cardiologist last week and he wanted to put me on a beta blocker which I researched and it makes your heart slow down well I didn't take any as far it would slow my heart to slow . I'm due in5 days for a stress test and echocardiogram but I constantly feel when I'm sitting or trying to sleep my heart slows so much it feels like it stops sometimes and it scares me to death after the years of being miserable i had 5 good years of feeling normal got my wife and my daughter back my life back together and now i feel like I'm dying slowly everyday please respond if anyone else has had these symptoms please so i dont feel so alone I feel for you

jennjenn

Re: Sleep Apnea

Post by jennjenn » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:59 am

I don’t think these issues you’re going through is related to your suboxone. I don’t know if that’s what you’re wondering or if you’re just wondering if someone else can relate, but as far as the suboxone goes this isn’t caused by you taking it. It wouldn’t have waited 6 years and then start causing problems.

I have watched my fiancé go from a healthy 35 year old man to bam.... sleep apnea, shortness of breath, panic attacks and then heart attacks (3 of them) and he isn’t even 40 yet. He isn’t an addict and doesn’t take suboxone, he’s just dealt a crappy hand in health I guess. Unfortunately as we get older our health can change and it can be bad & sudden or it can be gradual and not much to notice but I don’t think suboxone has anything to do with it. That may not have been what you were asking when you said can anyone relate or when you said 6 good years and now this is happening. Just in case you did wonder if you being on maintenance had something to do with it, I just wanted to give my opinion of saying no it definitely doesn’t. I do hope you get all this managed and start feeling better. You can get it under control again and be just as happy as you were before it all happened though. You can still have a great quality of life again :)
Jennifer