How much are you paying per month for treatment?

Anything about buprenorphine that doesn't fit somewhere above, fit it here!
Lillyval
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

How much are you paying per month for treatment?

Post by Lillyval » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:42 am

I know this has been done before, but my circumstances have changed completely.

$301 for (60) 2mg films!

$100 doctor visit

So $401 per month if I don’t have any urine screens - and I’m out of work!

I’m curious to know what others are paying. I feel like I’m being gouged on the films! Here’s the rub.. I have insurance, but with a $3000 deductible. My insurance’s formulary requires the films, which is a crime because they don’t start paying for them usually until October. I’m working on overriding that now. In the meantime, my doc will prescribe 15 8mg films instead, but since I only take 3mg/day, and am hoping to taper, I would like to stick to the 2mg films.

BlueLight
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Re: How much are you paying per month for treatment?

Post by BlueLight » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:03 am

I was paying $0 last year because I maxed out my $3,500 deductible. Starting this month it is $200 a month for office visit and drug screening. Plus $250 for meds. I know I still have the Suboxone manufacturers coupon for several more months that will save me about $75 from the meds per month, so $375 per month all in. I was spending $1,700 to $1,900 a month b4 on alcohol and opiates b4.

razor55

Post by razor55 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:05 pm

Lilly, ive been paying out of pocket since day one. The films continue to go up every year. Im paying 13 dollars more than you for my films. Ill pm you my exact numbers but not here. 314 dollars plus clinic charges witch are over the top fair, 32 dollars a month. ua s are 200 .00 three times a year. You read that in most other countries there meds are free!! Anyway. 345.00 most months ..... and sorry you not working , hope this changes soon for you. Raz

raudy1975
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Post by raudy1975 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:04 pm

HI Lilly,

My sub doctor does not take insurance so I pay out of pocket $180 every month. And ..all patients have to go every month. It is actually $150 + $30 drug screen every time every month.

My insurance will pay for the Zubsolv and I can use a coupon on top of that and it equals $10 a month.

It does really make me want to taper and stock pile for when it is necessary to save some $$.

Hope things get better with the job and all.

jennjenn

Post by jennjenn » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:10 pm

My clinic bill each month is $350. They’re pretty flexible though, if there’s a time I am maybe $50 short or whatever, they are willing to work with ya so I’m super grateful for that because not many places around here are so nice. I’ve paid the $350 a month for 7 years now. The medicine imo is expensive in the south for whatever reason (I could just be imagining that btw), but the strips at my pharmacy is $9 each. That hasn’t always been the price though, when I first started the strips (8mg) were 6.50. Anyway now I’m taking the generic tablets and I think they’re about $8 each. All in all, in the present I pay a total of about $570.

It’s crazy expensive and it’s a dang shame that something so important is so difficult for some ppl to afford. I totally understand that bk in my using days I wasted much more than that on pills but honestly that logic doesn’t make me feel any better. I try to look at it in a more positive light but it doesn’t matter, I’m still frustrated with it.
Jennifer

Lillyval
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Post by Lillyval » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:11 pm

Thanks for the input, you guys. If you don’t feel like reading all this, please skip to the question at the bottom.

My insurance is through my husband’s employer, even though it is administered by Anthem. So whenever there is a problem like this we have to contact the EMPLOYER rather than Anthem. That formulary I mentioned above doesn’t even apply to us, because our contract says we have no formulary. But Anthem automatically uses it.

So, every time we have to contact the employer about a prescription issue they say they can’t resolve it without knowing the name of the medication. I don’t want to disclose that I am on Suboxone to his employer, plus it’s a HUGE HIPPA and 42 CFR violation. But its a catch 22 because if we call Anthem directly they don’t know anything about our employer’s contract. And the employer can’t resolve an issue without the patient’s name and the name of the medication. (I’ve been through this so many times, and I’m so sick of it!).

So, without making any disclosures we were told that the doctor can write the script for a particular brand of generic. I’ve read that the new generic films are a no go. Does anyone know what particular brand of generic Suboxone tablets I should request?

jennjenn

Post by jennjenn » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:51 am

The main generic tablet I favor over the others is the Activas brand (probably spelled it wrong because I literally just googled it so I could give ya a name). They’re white with a half moon on one side. Another is Roxane brand which is orange with some numbers on one side. Those are two I’d recommend to you Lilly...... but as ya know we’re all so different and other ppl may not like those.

I’ve really had no problems with any tablets that I’ve gotten so far. I took the suboxone brand strips for 6 years religiously and never considered switching to anything different BUT I became so sick of how expensive everything is, I just pulled the trigger and went to generic to save anything I could. For me though, I only save a dollar less lol. I’m not sure I did myself any favors considering the coupon suboxone provides, it kinda come out the same so it’s just pointless to try to save money because they’ll stick it to you somewhere and somehow.
Jennifer

JennyB
Average Poster
Average Poster

Post by JennyB » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:43 am

I live in Canada and although healthcare is “free” (I put free in quotes becasue if you’re a working person like myself then you pay very high federal taxes which is really paying for healthcare. If you don’t file tax taxes or don’t work then technically it is free lol)
Anyway while healthcare is entirely “free” , prescriptions are not and we most people get converge from their employers or take out their own insurance for prescriptions, dental, etc.

This is my first month on suboxone and I was floored at the $255.00 price! Brand name.
I was too hesitant to try generic until I researched it on here.

I think this is ridiculous we have to pay this much money for a life saving drug. In my opinion it is a life saver. It’s sad that there are plenty of underserved/marginalized people who don’t/can’t work who have a deadly addiction who want to stop and take this drug but can’t afford to do so. The ironic thing is....they want this Opiate Crisis controlled yet people who want to stop can’t becasue the treatment is too expensive. That’s what blows my mind. That’s f’d up.
JennyB

BlueLight
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Post by BlueLight » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:04 am

What I find unforgivable is how Big Pharma keeps drug prices high is by using patents by simply inventing new drug delivery systems. Buprenorphine is nearly 40 years old! Much like the Epi-Pen, which costs $600 because of the auto-injector patent. Epinephrine was discovered nearly 120 years ago and costs $.50 for an entire vial of the drug.

razor55

Post by razor55 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:30 am

I'll add this, I've looked into switching from the film's to save money but as Jenn stated the savings of a few dollars wasn't enough to push me to start over.

jennjenn

Post by jennjenn » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:47 am

That’s so true Razor. I did it pretty recklessly by automatically assuming I’d be saving this substantial amount but I immediately found out I didn’t get much if any financial difference. I should have done my research but I didn’t. I went ahead and stayed on the generic because it did just as well as the strips for me.
Jennifer

Amy-Work In Progress

Post by Amy-Work In Progress » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:19 pm

BlueLight wrote:What I find unforgivable is how Big Pharma keeps drug prices high is by using patents by simply inventing new drug delivery systems. Buprenorphine is nearly 40 years old! Much like the Epi-Pen, which costs $600 because of the auto-injector patent. Epinephrine was discovered nearly 120 years ago and costs $.50 for an entire vial of the drug.
Damn straight!

Amy
Done is better than perfect!

Lillyval
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Post by Lillyval » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:33 pm

Amy-Work In Progress wrote:
BlueLight wrote:What I find unforgivable is how Big Pharma keeps drug prices high is by using patents by simply inventing new drug delivery systems. Buprenorphine is nearly 40 years old! Much like the Epi-Pen, which costs $600 because of the auto-injector patent. Epinephrine was discovered nearly 120 years ago and costs $.50 for an entire vial of the drug.
Damn straight!

Amy
And the biggest offender (or one of) is Indivior better known as Reckitt-Benkiser. After literally making over 1 billion dollars on the sublingual tablets, they tried to have the tablets taken off the market by declaring them “too dangerous”- because their patent expired. Then they forced the films down the throats of state and private health insurance companies, which is why many of us are “required” to buy the brand name. It’s a fucking epic scam.
Their next move, once they get the depot injection accepted by most insurances, will be to declare that the films are “too dangerous” to be in the hands of addicts, who will certainly divert them. I’m just waiting for it.

razor55

Post by razor55 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:32 pm

Yes Lilly they will try that . But the overall cost of that depo is so high monthly.. God I hope so. All I can do is stock stock and stock. And one day in the near future Dr. Ready will be able to sell there generic film. Ive seen them, one of my group members had a small script of them the first week of June 2018. I could have saved a 3rd of my costs of Bupe film. :(

Lillyval
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Post by Lillyval » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:47 am

I read the FDA filing for one of the 2 injections currently being introduced to the market. I have to go back and find out which one it was. What appalled me was that the blood serum levels of bupe for the subjects on the injection was higher than those of people taking 24mg/day sublingually!

I could never handle that. They are going to have to keep sublingual preparations available for those of us who need a low dose.

BlueLight
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Post by BlueLight » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:21 am

Sublocade (monthly shot) is designed for people needing 16 mg - 24 mg of buprenorphine daily. Probuphine implant (lasts 6 months) is designed for people needing 4 mg - 8 mg daily.

Lillyval
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Post by Lillyval » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:06 am

Thank you for reminding me, Bluelight :D

Indivior (RB) has the product that is supposed to equal 16-24mg/day, even though the FDA at one point considered making 16mg the maximum allowable dose (because no benefit could be demonstrated over 16mg).
And most patients in it for the long haul eventually stabilize on 8 mg or less. For example some of the longest term members I can think of on this forum are on 2, 3, 6 and 8mg*
(I know some of you here are new and on 16mg. This doesn’t apply to you. You will probably taper down after you stabilize for several months, but don’t even worry about it right now).

**From what I recall, they will only give Probuphine twice. One arm for 6 months, and then the other arm for 6 months, and then the patient is....done with treatment?**

If it sounds like I have an axe to grind with RB, I do. Does anyone here remember when a few of us participated in their survey? TJ, you out there?
We ALL requested that they market tapering doses, like 1, 0.5, 0.25 mg, or create a tapering pack. Instead they put out 2 doses HIGHER than the existing 2mg, which are 4mg and 12mg, (neither of which I have ever seen irl, although one of us here gets the 4mg)

*one final note - even though the doses appear to be too high, one person who posted here and one person I know of irl were going through WD something like the 2nd week of the depot injection. I wonder if there is a problem with the delivery system?

BlueLight
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Post by BlueLight » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:08 am

From what I understand the current protocol for the implant once in each arm is correct, but they are using this year to demonstrate the efficacy of reimplanting into previously used arms and are expecting the go ahead for long term usage. Of course the government shutdown isn’t helping that at the FDA.

SisterMorphine
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Post by SisterMorphine » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:50 pm

i started out at a clinic it cost $200 per month. i could pay $200 and go in once a month or go in twice a month and pay $100. my subs were covered by my insurance and i paid a $25 co-pay.

after 6 months i switched to a reg dr. who took insurance for the visit. so i paid $15 for the copy at the dr and $25 for the co-pay for the script.

i have highmark insurance. as long as i play their game and get bloodwork done every year and fill out their online wellness profile I don't have any deductibles. my plan may be different than other highmark plans as its thru a union. we have a special dedicated number to call.
Get your shit together and live your life." Black Snake Moan

razor55

Post by razor55 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:04 pm

Ok folks, good news.. The generic film is now on the market. A member of my group called today to tell me that his state ins now will only pay for this medication. Made by Dr. Ready Labs, this film will be cheaper for thoses of us who pay out of pocket.So check it out on line for more information. Im hopeing to save a 3rd of my costs . we ll see. peace, rr