NEW GENERIC STRIPS

Anything about buprenorphine that doesn't fit somewhere above, fit it here!
suboptimus
One Month or More
One Month or More

Re: NEW GENERIC STRIPS

Post by suboptimus » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:08 am

jennjenn wrote:I’m not interested in the injection at all and I don’t think I ever will consider that an option for me (no offense to ppl who do take it, but it isn’t for me). It is never ending with always trying to come up with something else to make more money than the others. These nimwits (pharmaceutical companies) are always trying to one up the other and not giving a damn about the patients who will actually be taking it. It’s just ridiculous.

Indeed - that is what they are doing by coming up with various delivery methods of Bup. It makes them more money. When the patent period is up and generics are to be made they then develop a new formula so they can charge brand name prices.

How much is sublocade suppose to deliver on a daily basis ? I didn't even know it existed until I saw this thread.

Jess1208
Super Poster
Super Poster

Post by Jess1208 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:57 am

suboptimus wrote:
jennjenn wrote: How much is sublocade suppose to deliver on a daily basis ? I didn't even know it existed until I saw this thread.
When I asked about Sublocade my suboxone nurse said it isn't a good option for me since I am under 8mg/day it would be like raising my dose. So I assume that means the lowest would give you equivalent to 8mg/day of the films?

I think it is more for people who are on "higher" doses? Like 8mg, 12mg, 16mg, etc. But I have no idea about different "strengths" and how much buprenorphine you would absorb daily. Does anyone know more about that?

Would be nice if smaller mg films were created, like 1mg & 0.5mg, for people tapering, because it gets ridiculous how small the pieces are! and Im not too confident that the films have the medication evenly distributed throughout each film. especially when you get down to the point of having to cut your film into 10+ pieces! LOL

BlueLight wrote:
Jess1208 wrote: Just a little worried because I already wake up in withdrawals every single day on my dose and I have heard and talked to a lot of people who had bad experiences with different generics.
You mentioned your a chronic pain patient as well, but having withdrawal symptoms in the morning. Are you only taking your Suboxone once per day, or are you splitting your daily dosage into 3 or 4 times per day?
I do take 2mg in the morning around 8am, and 2mg around 10am (I have to split the 4mg films because I have an extremely TINY tongue)... I tried the routine of dosing smaller amounts, more often, but it does not seem to make a difference for me :( and if I take any of it in the afternoon or evening (even if it a small amount like .5mg), I am up ALL night, even with my Trazodone, I wont get any sleep. So I have discovered over the years that I can't really dose after like 2pm. Which sucks because of how I feel in the mornings, It would probably help my crappy morning-feelings if I took 2mg, 12 hours apart, But for some reason I would not be able to sleep at all, no matter how tired I am.

Its always been like that, even on "higher" doses, in the beginning of treatment being on 16mg to 20mg, back down to 16mg, and working my way down slowly, I have been at this dosage for a couple years now since I started lowering my dose within my first year I believe I was down to 8mg since I would always forget to take the second film and the extra half-film I figured I did not actually need that much per day... (almost 5 years total on MAT), and I have NEVER had pain relief of any kind from it.

I am so jealous of those who say they do get pain relief!!!! It honestly amazes me, because suboxone does not help my pain AT ALL. If it did, I would most likely be on a higher dose to benefit from that effect, but there is really no point for me to do that... Besides the feelings I get in the morning, truly feeling dope sick. I haven't mentioned it, because I know they will say there is no possible way I am experiencing or feeling withdrawal on 4mg/day. Many people here even deny me feeling this way. But I know there are others like me who do experience withdrawal feelings around that 24-hour mark.

I dont remember feeling that way on 8mg and higher. I just feel like I would be taking a step backward, ya know? Since my ultimate goal IS to get off someday. I am not in any rush though, as my health comes first. Pain was the reason I started using in the first place. So I do not want to risk relapsing until I have a treatment plan that is actually helping me. I feel like I am a slave to my body. I have no control over my life. Pain does.

I had to take a long break in my effort to successfully taper, since my chronic migraines have gotten much worse over the years, and once again consumed every aspect of my life, and I do not want to get off MAT until I have a treatment that is actually somewhat reliable.... It has been almost 20 years of this for me though (I am 27), I am not holding my breath for something that may actually help me, through all the trial and error, I have accepted that I will NEVER be migraine-free... but I won't give up trying to find something that can help me.

Maybe it WOULD be worth raising my dose just for now... To not feel like shit every single morning AND be in pain.. But I'm just not sure how much I would need to have it raised in order to take away that withdrawal-feeling and I don't really want to feel like I'm reversing all the work I had done to get down to 4mg. It does really suck. And I dont feel not-sick until around noon every single day. I take my first 2mg around 8am. Sometimes taking 1mg at a time, then another 1mg right after the first has completely dissolved, since I have a very small tongue and any larger pieces would not even fit properly under my tongue.

I just worry MAT will be completely taken away somehow, maybe not methadone, but these buprenorphine films.. and I would rather taper off before that possibly happens. Maybe I just need to suck up my pride and ask for a dose raise. I just feel the nurse and doctor wouldn't agree or allow it. But I have never given my clinic a reason not to trust me. My suboxone nurse knows about my migraines and I have always had clean UA's. I guess that is just an option I really need to think about. Anything that can make my life a little less-miserable is worth a thought.

Sorry for blabbering. I know this is really off topic but I wanted to respond to those questions that were asked.

Love you all :)
Jess
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, Anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." -Unknown

jacksh
Average Poster
Average Poster

Post by jacksh » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:33 pm

pugmommy wrote:Jacksh, how is the new prescription? I cringed when I read your post about the yellow box. Just yesterday I got 5, just to see how I do, seeing as anything other than brand doesn't work for me. And it's the yellow one. I tried to put this out of my head, we'll see how it goes.
I switched back to the brand name. Haven't had a problem. Those sore I got from the "yellow box" strips made me not want to even try them again. I hope you have better luck as for me they would only be $10 instead of $95 for the brand name.

Lillyval
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Post by Lillyval » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:42 am

Yesterday (Easter) I got a text saying I had a prescription ready, so since I was driving by anyway I stopped in at the pharmacy that I wouldn’t have even thought was open. Apparently no one else did either because I was the only one in there. I spoke to the pharmacist, who knows I’m on Sub, and she expressed her strong support of Suboxone, and even went as far as to say that no one should be able to profit from Suboxone, just like no one should be able to profit from insulin. It felt really good to know the pharmacist is THAT supportive.

Anyway, I asked her about the generics and she said they have Dr. Reddy. I asked if she had gotten any feedback and she said no, but they only started dispensing it this week. I also found out that the “yellow box” films are from a company called Alvogen, which I have never heard of before. I told her Sandoz is the one licensed by Indivior, so since she’s the pharmacy manager maybe she will stock that.
Also, you guys can ask your doctor to write “Sandoz buprenorphine film” right on the prescription.

jonathanm1978

Post by jonathanm1978 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:31 am

I was given the generics...mine are similar to the youtube vid above, except they say SANDOZ on them. Colors are close on packaging..
And the strip has N8 on it like RB's version.
Maybe it's the same with a different vendor/etc.
Adam Wayne P.
DOB: July 1, 1985
October 8, 2013

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.

pugmommy
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Post by pugmommy » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:26 pm

Hey Jonathon how ya been? My pharmacist just ordered the Sandoz brand. How is it working for you?
PUGS NOT DRUGS

BlueLight
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Post by BlueLight » Wed May 01, 2019 9:54 am

pugmommy wrote:Hey Jonathon how ya been? My pharmacist just ordered the Sandoz brand. How is it working for you?
I picked up my Sandoz the other day. They are identical to the Suboxone brand and work just fine.

If you don’t want to risk an issue, have your pharmacy order Sandoz. If I want brand my copayment is $100, any generic is $0.

pugmommy
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Post by pugmommy » Fri May 03, 2019 9:27 pm

Thank you Bluelight. I've tried other generic pill and film form, they don't absorb for me. My pharmacy ordered for me, I'm hoping they work or I'll feel like a fool for asking them to order.
PUGS NOT DRUGS

docm2
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Post by docm2 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:59 pm

Quick update, I spoke with a representative of Indivior. They still make Name brand Suboxone, as well as a generic.
Locally, it has been difficult to get the proprietary films in stock.
Weird that the rep had told me otherwise several months ago.
The reason I called is that BXBS still insist on the Suboxone films as well as a couple of other plans.
PAX

willowtree
New Poster
New Poster

Post by willowtree » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:50 pm

I first tried the generic in April but only for the first half of the month (pharmacy was out of brand and I was headed out of state). I was nervous about it and couldn’t find a decent review on them online but I did feel a little better about it when I opened them and saw that they looked and smelled the same as the brand. When I tried one the first thing I noticed was that the taste was quite different. Of course I told myself not to get in my head about it so as to avoid psychological hinderances. I honestly feel, for me, that generic do not absorb as well as the brand.

My background... I’ve been on subs for five years. It has been a game changer for me! During my first year I was with a doctor who was new to prescribing suboxone, I was actually his first sub patient. I tried to wean off in that first year but failed due to chronic pain issues (my reason for developing such a high tolerance to traditional pain meds in the first place). I spoke with my doctor about this but was told he did not want to treat chronic pain patients with subs for this very reason (he may have to keep them on subs at a maintenance level to address the pain problems). I ended up finding a veteran sub doctor at the end of that first year and have been with him since. I was struggling on 8mg a day when I first started with my current doctor and was moved up to 12mg a day (to be dispersed throughout the day to manage pain). That worked for a few years. I started a new, more physically and mentally demanding job and started struggling again pain wise. At the same time, I started working on addressing a plethora of dental issues (a long process due to the cost of the various procedures) so I moved up to 16-20mg a day.

I was more than fine at this dose until I tried the generic. After that first half month on them, realizing it was causing me potential shortages I vowed to stick to brand. Welp...then my insurance situation changed. I paid for my first several years of treatment all out of pocket and then for a year and a half just had to pay my doctor visit out of pocket with my medicine only costing $5 a month. When my insurance changed, I was back to out of pocket. There was no way I could afford the $500 a month prescription so I had to go back to generic ($130 a month).

It’s not a total waste, it does help some. But because I’m not absorbing as much as I did with the brand there is that temptation to use bigger pieces throughout the day to makeup for it. Doing this of course would put me in jeopardy of running out early.

I wanted to open up to my doctor about this at my last visit as he has always been the type of doctor I could be open and honest with. Unfortunately, it was a very off visit. I don’t think it was all totally me that made it that way but in those moments, it felt that way.

jonathanm1978

Post by jonathanm1978 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:53 am

I've changed from Sandoz to Dr. Reddy...back to Sandoz...then a mix of Dr Reddy and Sandoz...so this last time I asked specifically for the Dr. Reddy version.
I can't tell a difference in the med...only that with the Dr Reddy, it has made me feel more ..drowsy? When I first got on Sub years ago, I used to feel drowsy unless I was up moving around and keeping busy...but after a while that went away. The Dr Reddys seem to have that effect...I requested them because they are a little easier to cut down the doses...but take longer to absorb.
The films are a little more rigid than the Sandoz, but for me that's a good thing as I like to be able to take 1/2 at a time.
Adam Wayne P.
DOB: July 1, 1985
October 8, 2013

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.