My ongoing review of CAM2038 - Brixadi / Buvidal depot

Anything about buprenorphine that doesn't fit somewhere above, fit it here!
TeeJay
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

My ongoing review of CAM2038 - Brixadi / Buvidal depot

Post by TeeJay » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:23 pm

I recently opted to be a part of a study into Camarus' depot injection of buprenorphine called Buvidal (to be called Brixadi in America). The study I'm in is called DEBUT and its details can be found here - https://www.anzctr.org.au/Trial/Registr ... ?id=376043. In a nutshell it's a 6 month study comparing Buvidal / Brixadi to sublingual Suboxone. It's a 50/50 randomised study, so neither I or the clinicians had any choice what group I was put into.

Before yesterday's appointment they told me to forego taking my usual 24mg daily dose of Suboxone in case I was randomised into the injection group when I arrived. And luckily for me I was put in the depot group. I was given my first injection yesterday. Here's my thoughts.

The nurse gave me the option of where I wanted to be injected, whether on the upper arms, belly or backside. I chose my belly as that's where I'm used to having subcutaneous injections in the past. Buvidal comes pre-prepared in sophisticated but quite small looking syringe with about 1ml of liquid in it. Because I was previously taking 24mg of Suboxone, I was given the highest dose of 32mg.

The needle itself wasn't too big. Standard subcutaneous type maybe half an inch, not too thick. Didn't hurt at all going in, but when she injected the liquid there was a reasonable amount of pain. Enough to make me curl my toes and grimace.

Since then the injection spot has been tender to the touch, though not visible at all. Nowhere near as much of a bump as my old naltrexone implant, which is still sitting there after all these years. Even though I have a bit more belly fat after being on methadone last year, I don't think CAM2038 would be too visible on someone who is ripped.

I can't really say I feel any more affected by the depot than by my usual sublingual dose. No headaches, no "stoned" feeling. I just feel normal, which is how it's supposed to be.

Those who know me know that I've struggled over the years with metabolising my Suboxone too fast. Because of one of the anti-convulsants I take (and my particular genetic makeup), I can take 24mg of Suboxone in midday then use a full agonist in the evening and still get significant effect. It also meant my levels would be so low in the late eve & morning that Suboxone wasn't the best for my craving management, but taking Sub was still better than nothing.

So far I haven't experienced this with the depot. Apparently it bypasses first-pass metabolism in the liver, so hopefully it won't be an issue at all. But I'll have to wait and see how I feel later in the week. I'm going to be given the weekly injection for the first 4 weeks, after which I'll be given the option of switching to the montly.

Will keep you all posted.

razor55

Re: My ongoing review of CAM2038 - Brixadi / Buvidal depot

Post by razor55 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:07 am

Thank you TJ for puttng this out here. Wishing you great sucess in this new treatment. Please keep us updated sir. rr

Amy-Work In Progress

Post by Amy-Work In Progress » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:25 pm

I'm so happy for you and secondarily for us that you were selected for the depot shot!

Will you get to choose every week where you want the injection placed? Are you going to try either of the other two options?

Do you know if this shot is equivalent to the sublocade shot already available in the states? I know that sublocade leaves a sizable lump from what others have reported. I'm curious about whether or not the monthly shot you will eventually receive will leave a larger lump.

I hope that this shot will become a viable alternative for you TJ.

Amy
Done is better than perfect!

TeeJay
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Post by TeeJay » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:14 pm

Apparently the injection site is rotated every week / month you get the injection. You can't be injected in the same spot for 8 weeks. And the size of the injection is the same for the monthly injection. They just made it more concentrated and changed the formula to slow the rate the depot dissolves. I can't comment on Sublocade because I didn't have it, but so far the injection area effects seem a lot easier on this depot than what I've read from those who take Sublocade.

I can't see any bump at all on the injection spot. In fact I can't see anything at all. It was a bit tender the first day or two, but I woke up today and now I can't feel anything at all.

The only side-effect I've noticed so far is I'm finding it a bit harder to sleep at night, probably cos my levels are higher in the evening. But I've also quit smoking so that could be playing a role too.

Keep you posted.

TeeJay
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Post by TeeJay » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:46 am

Got my first monthly injection a few days ago. The pain of the monthly shot is about 2-3x worse than the weekly, in that it lingers a lot longer! However I got my shot on Wednesday, and it's now Sunday, and I can now poke the injection spot on my belly pretty hard without it causing too much discomfort.

The nurse who's administering me the depot tells me that it's less painful when it's administered on the back of the thigh, and others prefer it there. The abdomen is one of the more painful places to get it done. For some reason I opt for the belly. Maybe I'm a masochist.

So far the monthly injection is holding me a lot better. My pupils look smaller too, which isn't that great as it reminds me somewhat of using.

Ryan Ryan Ryan
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Ryan Ryan Ryan » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:15 am

TEEJAY, I too have noticed the bump in energy levels during the evenings and my pupils too are different.
How are you getting along with it after all this time? Are you still on it and did it last the full month for you?