Just being difficult...

Anything about buprenorphine that doesn't fit somewhere above, fit it here!
DanOhioAwesome
Power Poster
Power Poster

Just being difficult...

Post by DanOhioAwesome » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:51 pm

Hello everyone. Hope all is well.. So I'm just venting today. So my normal dose of suboxone is 8mg one day and 4mg the next. Alternating days between 8 and 4. So anyways I would say the last several months I've been crazy busy with work which involves travelling and sometimes can be stressful on the marriage and just with whatever life brings. Anyways so for whatever reason around the time a few months back when my work load picked up and stress I started noticing I didn't feel "balanced' with my Suboxone. The doc had told me before that if I needed to go back to 8mg everyday instead of every other that would be fine. So I did. Therefore cutting me short and needing a few called in to get me to my appt. This happens two months in a row.So looking ahead right before Xmas I knew myself and figured id just ask the doc to write the Rx for just 8mg a day instead of me getting my normal but running out and getting a couple called in. He says "ehh I don't like to increase just do what ya been doing". Lol I'm thinking wouldn't it just be easier if the last two months I've needed bailed out and I'm sitting here telling you I'm gonna need it again? To fix the issue just make the rx for what I've been needing lately? Idk its not really a big issue I just laugh because I'm like youd rather have me waste my time, the your office and the pharmacy in stead of raising my dose temporarily? Anyways that's it. Just thought it was goofy.

Dan

jennjenn

Re: Just being difficult...

Post by jennjenn » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:55 am

I agree with you, seems like it’d be a lot easier on everyone to just give ya the 8 mg and be done. Seems like he’s worried about a dose increase instead of realizing this is your dose now........ but I agree that it’s just wasting time and not to mention it’s stressful to run out early and that alone imo is a bad situation. Maybe he isn’t fully understanding what you mean or doesn’t care to call it in and thinking you may not run out early again and the last couple months were just you feeling unbalanced and now you’ll be ok. Maybe he needs to be told that you’re only ok on 8 mg and you don’t wanna go down any lower than 8 a day.
Jennifer

suboxdoc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Just being difficult...

Post by suboxdoc » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:10 am

Sounds like you were put into a miserable position. Sometimes when I'm contacted between appointments, if I don't write it down, I forget that I changed the plan - so I try to write 'interval notes' whenever I'm contacted like that so I remember at the next visit. Most of my patients know me well enough by now, though, to say 'dude, you said I could take more!'

To share a doc's perspective - I have no problem increasing doses from 8 to 12 to 16 mg per day, because you don't really raise your tolerance by much with those changes. I have patients on 24 mg, but I don't like keeping people that high because I know it isn't necessary and I worry that the person might be sharing with someone else.