suboxone stabilizing bipolar disorder?

Does buprenorphine treat depression? Is my depression from Suboxone? Will Suboxone treat bipolar? Will naltrexone or Vivitrol make me depressed?
Amy-Work In Progress

Re: suboxone stabilizing bipolar disorder?

Post by Amy-Work In Progress » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:09 pm

Nice to hear from you BB!

We've missed ya!

Amy
Done is better than perfect!

SubstantialTarantula
Super Poster
Super Poster

Post by SubstantialTarantula » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:03 am

I thought most opiates had a stabilizing effect on mood. It is only being forced into WD which is sure to cause extreme symptoms.
sub

Amy-Work In Progress

Post by Amy-Work In Progress » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:47 am

I think that's true, SB, if you have a steady and sure supply. But most opioid addicts I know, especially the ones on heroin, are almost always in a state of anxiety over the daily struggle to figure out how to get the next day's fix. Many have reported to me that they wake up in a state of anxiety.

But steady doses of opioids will often stabilize the mood for sure. It's hard for addicts to have a steady state of opioids in our systems unless we're on long acting opioids like buprenorphine and methadone. But the properties of opioids do tend to smooth out any extremes in mood.

Amy
Done is better than perfect!

TeeJay
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Post by TeeJay » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:28 pm

Unless a person with bipolar is a rapid cycler, it can be really hard to tell if a treatment or medication is effective until that person has spent a couple of years on the treatment. Reason being is that at the best of times, people with bipolar can have a year, even two years, free of acute mood episodes.

So if someone's taking a new treatment and is doing fine, it can be hard to tell if the medication is keeping them on an even keel, or whether their bipolar is just naturally going through a phase of stability.

There have been times I've gone off my meds, and it has been 8-12 months before my symptoms returned.

Looking back over my life, I can tell that mood stabilisers are really good at curbing manic symptoms and preventing periods of mania. Depression not so much.