Bup and lack of sex drive & motivation

Does buprenorphine treat depression? Is my depression from Suboxone? Will Suboxone treat bipolar? Will naltrexone or Vivitrol make me depressed?
sarah1234
New Poster
New Poster

Bup and lack of sex drive & motivation

Post by sarah1234 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:31 pm

Hi,
I recently joined this forum and would love to hear others input regarding Bup and an overall lack of sex drive and motivation. I believe this is a side effect of the bup and Im wondering what I should do about it! It sucks!

Bup has helped me kick and stay sober for the last three years but my sex drive and simple life joy has gone out the window. The little things like going to dinner with friends or hitting the beach just don't interest me, they sound fine but meh, so does hanging at home. It's like part of me has been dampened. Again, Im not depressed, I don't feel sad or upset or discouraged whatsoever.

I'm on 8mg daily. I take as prescribed. So I am not sure if decreasing the dose would help, increasing the dose would help or if I should start considering stopping all together.

Help!!!

Lillyval
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Re: Bup and lack of sex drive & motivation

Post by Lillyval » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:08 pm

I, too, have experienced the side effect of bupe dampening my overall sex drive and motivation. I am currently on 2-3mg/day, and it is much less severe than on higher doses. (I have been on up to
16 mg/day). I would definitely consider a lower dose rather than going off the med completely, especially if you are benefiting from the treatment.

rule62

Post by rule62 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:06 pm

It is not so much the Buprenorphine causing the lack of libido, it is an opiate, albeit a partial agonist one. All opiates cause a decrease in sex drive and Buprenorphine is no different. The only solutions we've seen posted here are hormone replacement therapy and tapering down to a very low amount until it comes back. Can't do that with other opiates. At least I couldn't.

Sorry, it is a common topic here on the forum and I wish we had better answers. If there are, let's hope they get posted.

Glad to have you with us.
Don't take yourself so damn seriously

Subfree81
Average Poster
Average Poster

Post by Subfree81 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:27 pm

I find that the lower my dose the better these things become. Currently down to 1 mg per day and things improved the lower I got. Have more energy and higher sex drive. Testosterone replacement wasn’t even enough for me when I was taking 8 mg. This stuff is strong and if possible taper down to as low as you can safely. I feel like I’m going to be very horny when I get off this med in 2 weeks.

Mc111483
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Mc111483 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:21 am

I always take a 1/2 dose before around 3pm, or take a full dose before 1pm. Then by 9 or 10, my drive is better. The 1/2 dose sometimes works better because you can take a little more after your done if you feel the need.

Also, make sure to explain the effects the suboxone is giving your drive to your significant other. She needs to understand it’s not her.

Also, have her initiate. Sometimes that works for me, and she feels great about herself, because she knows you find her attractive. That was the hardest part about having low drive. She thought it was her.

Now we don’t have as much intimate moments as we’d like because of our 2 year old. Lol. So we definitely managed obviously.

Good luck!

Optioidmistic
Average Poster
Average Poster

Post by Optioidmistic » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:10 pm

8mg is too much for me after being detoxed from my DOC. I quickly taper down to 1mg about twice a day. I’m talking like in a matter of days, and I feel nothing but more improvement, and I like the bupe effect much more.

Not only do I all around feel better, but the buprenorphine is more pleasurable to feel in my receptors. I also can say at 4mg and under I’m not constipated in the least, and my sex tool works as if I was on nothing at all.

If most people are anything like me I laugh at them for punishing themselves with intolerably high doses! Less is more is no joke. It’s hard to wrap your mind around until you try it.

TeeJay
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Post by TeeJay » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:52 am

For some reason studies have shown that long acting opioids like methadone and buprenorphine affect sexual functioning more than short acting opioids. But people like us can't exactly take short-acting opioids to treat our addiction. It's the long action of buprenorphine that makes it so good for its purpose.

I'd just recommend slowly reducing your dose until you find a manageable sweet spot.

Also I'm actually feeling less sexual side-effects from buprenorphine now I'm getting the injections. Which is surprising, because I expected the opposite.