a Thanksgiving post for addicts on a journey

Does buprenorphine treat depression? Is my depression from Suboxone? Will Suboxone treat bipolar? Will naltrexone or Vivitrol make me depressed?
Acoustic
Average Poster
Average Poster

a Thanksgiving post for addicts on a journey

Post by Acoustic » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:28 pm

I thought it might be nice to take a moment to recognize our progress on this journey from addiction to healthy living, and everywhere in between. I'm not a religious person and don't find it necessary to praise a higher power and give her/him credit for everything that's happening in my life, but I think there is value in acknowledging the people and things that have helped us and continue to help us, and also to take a moment to recognize the progress that we've made.

It used to be that what nearly constantly occupied my thoughts was how/where/when I would be getting more opiates. It was my last thought when I laid down at night and the first thought in my head once consciousness returned. It kind of reminds me of carrying a burden around and the weight of the addiction would resettle on my frame each morning. It kept me from going on trips, it limited my activity, and it held me back from doing the hobbies and recreation that had once held joy for me. I've been on Suboxone for a month now and I'm starting to recognize the desire to do many of the things I used to love. I love the outdoors and I feel it starting to call to me again. I'm finding enjoyment in a lot of the simple things that I've been numb to like the warmth of the sun on my face and the smell of brisk fall air. The absence of the drug fixation has allowed a more natural thought pattern to return and I look forward to doing all of the things that make me who I am, and that have held no attraction for my drug addled brain for so long.

I'm grateful for people in my life that haven't thrown in the towel on me, that had faith in me when I probably didn't deserve it, and had the perspective to see the big picture. I know the road ahead isn't going to be flat and smooth all of the time, but I'm glad I've discovered buprenorphine and have tools, family and friends to help me face it.

I know we're not all in the same place in our journey, but regardless of the exact place we're in, the experiences and knowledge that we've gained along the way can be applied to move in a positive direction, and will move us in that direction if we allow it. The fact that you are here tells me that you've faced hard times and come out the other side. Give yourself a pat on the back for perservering through these tough times and allow yourself the opportunity to see a brighter future, with you being a battle-tested and wiser life traveler.

rule62

Re: a Thanksgiving post for addicts on a journey

Post by rule62 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:56 pm

Thank you for a well written post. Enjoy the holiday w/o all the drama of addiction thanks to Suboxone.
Don't take yourself so damn seriously

jennjenn

Post by jennjenn » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:44 pm

I’m so grateful to have the holidays coming up and the miracle of being able to celebrate it with my children and my family! There was a time during my active addiction that I didn’t have custody of my children and I couldn’t even face a day without being an obsessed mess the minute my eyes opened. I still remember that awful feeling, almost 7 years later and I will never forget and I will always be grateful. I think that’s a big key to recovery success, staying grateful and never forgetting how bad it can get. If you remember that, that’s as much motivation you can get!
Jennifer

Amy-Work In Progress

Post by Amy-Work In Progress » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:59 am

Thank you for your wonderful post, Acoustic. It is always a great reminder for us to think of what we are grateful for. So often we get lost in our complaints and thoughts of what we don't have.

I am sincerely grateful for this forum and the people who post here.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Amy
Done is better than perfect!