Has the Talk Zone ended?

Announcements of online meetings and events in the chat room
justadad1
New Poster
New Poster

Has the Talk Zone ended?

Post by justadad1 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:35 pm

Greetings all, After becoming a father that is affected by son's opiate use, I found Dr. Junig's website and relied on it to educate myself as well as I can. However, briefly after finding it, new posts have stopped. Can someone address why? I really miss them.

Amy-Work In Progress

Re: Has the Talk Zone ended?

Post by Amy-Work In Progress » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:52 pm

Thank you for posting!

Our doctor has had a lot on his plate over the past couple of years. Right now Dr. Junig has his psychiatric practice and he is a medical director (I believe) at a methadone clinic. He is also studying for his boards that keep his license to practice maintained. After all of that he spends as much time as he can with his family.

I get where you're coming from because I miss him too! I think he just currently doesn't have time to write his blog posts on Talk Zone. Eventually his schedule will ease up a bit and he will have some time to update his blog. Dr. J is passionate about helping as many folks as he can, which is why we love him. In the mean time, you are welcome to bring up issues you are having in the forum! We will do the best we can without him!

Amy
Done is better than perfect!

suboxdoc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by suboxdoc » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:45 pm

You all are so nice - I appreciate it!

I seem to get my energy in cycles. I'll have times when the ignorance about buprenorphine will really irritate me, and I'll spend every night on a forum or writing blog posts. Then I pull away, and hole up for awhile. It isn't on purpose; I think I just get tired and need a break.

The past couple months I've been irritated by the local drug courts in WI, who refuse to consider any treatment other than Vivitrol. Vivitrol has pushed massively into the addiction space over the past few years, and I've never been a fan... and the refusal of the locals to even consider anything else has impacted my patients. So who knows... this may be the start of another motivated period!!

I am always stopping by, reading posts and answers. The moderators here have been providing great information for years, so by the time I think of posting I don't have much to add!

As for the 'Talk Zone', I've been considering some things. I wasn't planning on writing about this yet, but here I am... About 3 years ago, I discovered that 'Suboxone Talk Zone' was blacklisted by Wordfence, a commonly used security program for Wordpress blogs. My blog was reported as a spam site. I don't know who did it, and what it takes to get that company to blacklist a page. My paranoid side thought that it was done by one of the many entities that have written negative, or even threatening comments over the years. I know this sounds silly, but when you stick your neck out at all, you find that there are many troubled souls out there!!

I tried to remove the label, but the things recommended on internet searches on the topic didn't work for me. That's about the same time that I lost my zeal about posting. There were other things... not to sound too pathetic, but my dad died about 6 months before the NYT article came out in 2013. My dad was a reader of the Times, and the addiction stuff left a scar on our relationship... and I worked on the NYT article for about a year, looking forward to him seeing that I was 'relevant', in spite of the addiction fiasco. But he had a fatal brain hemorrhage in March of 2013, a few months before the NYT article came out. The article was a lot of BS, and I appreciated the 'Huff Po' article about the article... but I wonder sometimes if my dad really believed that I would be mentioned in the NYT, or if he thought maybe I was BS'ing him, like the old days.

Way too much information, I know. I'm getting to the point.... I've been considering moving suboxone talk zone to a new site, called 'addiction remission'. I've already moved the posts, so everyone is welcome to check it out: http://www.addictionremission.com

At the same time, I would start posting some new thoughts about the many issues out there. BTW, were you guys aware of the FDA approval of a new buprenorphine/naloxone generic 16 mg film? Teva is delaying the release for some reason.... but buprenorphine and buprenorphine/naloxone are finally becoming recognized as vital to stemming the tide of overdose deaths.

jennjenn

Post by jennjenn » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:48 am

I like addiction remission Dr. Junig. That was always the name of the app that I’d always download when I first found this place. I actually think that is how I discovered this forum, through the addiction remission app. It was a great app in my opinion.

I’m sorry to hear about your father passing before reading your article! I can definitely relate to addiction damaging or tarnishing the relationship with a parent. It took awhile but I think my father finally thinks I’m for real about my recovery. It took some years lol but I do think we got there.

We know you’re busy Dr. Junig! No worries :)
Jennifer

Amy-Work In Progress

Post by Amy-Work In Progress » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:34 pm

Maybe I'm strange, but I appreciate the background behind a story, Dr. J.! I really do think the people who come here are quite interested in what is going on with you. Sometimes doctors seem so unattainable (?). I'm not sure if I'm using that word correctly, but do you know what I mean? Hearing about what makes you happy or sad or passionate makes us feel like we know you better. We appreciate being a little let into your life.

So, no, it's not way too much information. I've gone through my own periods of hot and cold. I've had to check out every once in a while, especially when I experienced depression over my best friend dying in 2016. These foundational deaths are so hard to deal with, even when the "I love yous" are spoken out loud. Thank you for sharing with us the implications of your father's death. We offer out support to you.

I hope that I end up meeting you face to face someday because I would love to shoot the shit. Lol.

My internship at a methadone clinic is already incredible, so I'd love to swap stories with you. Maybe someday!

Amy
Done is better than perfect!

downreg'd4now
Average Poster
Average Poster

Post by downreg'd4now » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:33 pm

Every three months when I see my doc (who is a huge Junig fan), he asks me if I've seen any new posts from Dr J. When I started working with this Dr, I told him about this site, not sure if he'd really follow through, but he did. I can honestly say that he almost uses the information from Dr J as a sort of standard of care for taking care of his Suboxone patients. He's been at capacity for some time and saw zero support from his parent corporation (Essentia Healthcare) before finally leaving. He left because of a controversial issue with a flu shot which is another story. I was surprised and frustrated that Essentia held him to the non compete agreement, which keeps him from practicing within a certain distance. Given that Essentia has all but ignored Buprenorphine, in terms of their response to this national opiate crisis, I can't believe they would block a physician who is providing treatment which is clearly in the public health interest of saving lives, and is treatment their doctors are STILL not offering. Essentia is a Catholic/ultra conservative healthcare corporation which has been notorious for pushing women who want abortions toward their pro-life services without really disclosing their ideology, or what the real options are. There's clearly been a conservative influence on their unwillingness to support medication assisted therapy, despite the EVIDENCE that Buprenorphine products in particular have become a gold standard. The idea that Buprenorphine maintenance is not true recovery, as evidenced by what Dr J has reported in the court system he talked about- which only allows the Naltrexone product (Vivitrol), is also alive and well here in northern Minnesota. I thought that the Obama administration had decreed that any court which denies medication assisted recovery would lose their federal funding? Not sure if federal funding is even an issue for these courts, or if Trump nullified the edict?
At any rate, I digress. It is clear that there's still a huge segment of the opiate dependent population who do not have access to treatment with Buprenorphine products. It's bad enough that in many areas it's because of a lack of physicians qualified to dispense it. But when the institutional response to this crisis includes courts and healthcare corporations who serve entire counties, completely ignoring what evidence based medicine has proven to be best practices in treating the disease of opiate addiction, it's no wonder the doctors are following suit. My doctor has a waiting list of around 70 patients. Whether that number represents 70 actual patients who currently get no treatment, or if some are getting Buprenorphine products from farther away than is affordable, I'm not sure. I am sure that a fairly large number of them are getting no care, given what we're talking about here. And that terrifies me. Especially when I look at Vermont for example, and how they've instituted a hub and spoke system which includes hospital emergency depts which now dispense emergency supplies to carry people over until they're able to receive definitive and continuing care. It's really disgusting that this ignorant conservative movement is prevailing in blocking every possible harm reducing measure. In Minneapolis, the tide has def changed for the better, where powers that be have been forced to respond to much more in your face statistics resulting from a much more thriving heroin market. And so it seems that until more of those in power here in the northern reaches of the state are PERSONALLY affected by overdose deaths, they're going to continue to say "not in my backyard" to therapies which actually provide results. Until they lose a son/daughter, grandson/granddaughter, niece/nephew, or whatever, they're not going to bother to fact check their own thinking process? Would they feel the same way if this was some new form of cancer? Or I don't know, some other epidemic threatening to kill the most vulnerable amongst us? Oh wait...
It's no surprise that the same attitudes in this region are also affecting gun control measures and even condoms. My wife is a pastor who was on the board of a women's health clinic in town. She went to a county board meeting to argue against eliminating free condoms for low income post partum women receiving health packets from county health workers. A super conservative, Catholic board member quoted the Bible when explaining why everyone should be against any form of birth control.
(We already know where he stands on NOT providing services and publicly funded benefits for infants and kids in school). So what I want to know is whether or not his fundamentalist interpretation of the Bible says anything about depriving patients addicted to opiates with medication? What is the conservative rationale for blocking MAT in court mandated treatment? I had a thought that I would buy an old van, and using this guy's name, paint or print on the sides: "The John Doe Needle Exchange" and park it downtown or drive it around in high viability places just for effect. I think he'd probably have a stroke if someone even suggested such a measure. I am thrilled however, that at least several local pharmacies are willing to sell insulin syringes without prescription or diabetic history. In Berkeley, the addicted can get hundreds of syringes and other supplies for free. So I guess what I'm saying is that the law should provide for equal access to Buprenorphine products, regardless of what some uneducated and angry conservative types may think. Perhaps it will take a new president to make this happen?
I for one am so grateful for this site. The best we can ever hope for sometimes is access to the facts. This site provides those facts while also offering a place for moderated opinions. Being able to hear about other people's experiences, while also relating my own has been therapeutic as much as anything else I can imagine on this journey. The psychological factors which effect addiction, the second guessing, the constant questioning, are just as destructive as the substance itself sometimes. And there can be quite a bit a nuance with Buprenorphine treatment. Advice and advocacy, when working with doctors of varying degrees of "opiate enlightenment" is so important. I can't understate how important for myself. I hope that maybe I can be a voice for some in my community who have none. I am so grateful to Dr J and the moderators who volunteer their time here. If Suboxone is the gold standard in treating opiate addiction, this site is also the gold standard- in disseminating the truths which can save lives and help make treatment with Buprenorphine products a success! So thank you!

rule62

Post by rule62 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:23 am

Thanks for the informational post. Society still has a long way to go with MAT recovery.

Dr. Junig apologized months ago about being so busy that he hasn't been able to do more TalkZone videos. We need to give him some slack as he does his best to treat his patients alongside trying to educate the masses to the benefits of MAT. (Medication Assisted Therapy)

He will in time do some more so please be patient. This site is also taking a very long time growing. Google won't put us anywhere near the top 10 pages of a search query. How that can be rectified is beyond me. Back 10 years ago we couldn't keep up with the new members signing up daily. Now they can barely find us. We'll accept any suggestions from anyone to help get this forum available to all opiate addicts in needs.

Once again, thanks for the post and valuable information.
Don't take yourself so damn seriously