Hypothetical addiction cure question

Unmoderated debate about buprenorphine, recovery, treatment approaches, addiction... But keep it clean!
Post Reply
DanOhioAwesome
Power Poster
Power Poster
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:31 pm

Hypothetical addiction cure question

Post by DanOhioAwesome » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:31 pm

Today at work I just randomly was thinking about my addiction and how sweet it would be if the powers that be came up with something that cured our addiction to opioids/opiates?

What if there was a procedure that could be done that put you on a operating table. You had to go under the knife. The procedure once done when you woke up made you no longer addicted to opiates no longer had the cravings. As if you never tried them before.

But..only with a 70% success rate..( totally and completely addiction free)
20% is you could wake up with a disability to your motor functions or along those lines where you no longer can function alone doing daily tasks. No more being a teacher or construction worker etc...and

10% not wake up at all and become a vegetable or immediate death on the table.

With those odds would you take the risk? Knowing that 70% chance I would never have to worry about the addiction again because it has been medically elimated from you? But a 20% chance I wake up without the addiction but now need to be assisted daily and no longer function on my own? Or 10% chance I die.

What would you do?

User avatar
Tuskygoalie55
New Poster
New Poster
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:06 am

Re: Hypothetical addiction cure question

Post by Tuskygoalie55 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:35 am

HELL NOOOOOOO

No operation to cure my addiction is worth the risk of death or losing motor skills even if the success rate was 99%. I feel that's almost selfish of the addict to even consider taking that risk. I don't know about anyone else but ive put my family through enough last thing I wanna add to the list is sudden death during an operation or even worse basically having to become my caretaker because I can no longer function on my own. Addiction sucks but my life is a thousand times better since I got on methadone. So in my eyes I rather live this life than take that risk.

User avatar
rule62
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2669
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:35 pm
Location: Southwest

Re: Hypothetical addiction cure question

Post by rule62 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:39 pm

Surely not while we have Suboxone. Mankind has managed addictions for a long time. A lot recover via support programs or MAT, etc. What the numbers are for long term sobriety I don't know. What I do know is that my brain is one of those easily addicted. First was playing with drugs, then being addicted to alcohol, followed by opiates after having 15 years of sobriety. Same disease, different drug.

What I'm saying is, it would have to be for those who just cannot get clean. A choice between surgery or death. Still, one would have to really think hard on that decision.

Very grateful for buprenorphine.
Don't take yourself so damn seriously

User avatar
jennjenn
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3057
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:15 pm
Location: Tennessee

Re: Hypothetical addiction cure question

Post by jennjenn » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:30 am

Agree with Rule, as long as there is suboxone my answer would be not worth all that risk.......... although that 70% looks good 8) Without suboxone, like if it ever becomes nonexistent then I would SERIOUSLY consider it. I remember the horrible life active addiction was and if I could make it like it was before I ever started then I admit I’d seriously consider it. If that ever happened, I’d hunt down the doctor with the best outcomes on that 70% and hope for the best. That’s IF I had nothing else and couldn’t stop :?

It’s definitely something to wonder about even though it isn’t something that will ever happen I don’t think.
Jennifer

DanOhioAwesome
Power Poster
Power Poster
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:31 pm

Re: Hypothetical addiction cure question

Post by DanOhioAwesome » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:32 pm

Interesting thoughts and replies. Yeah even though I came up with the random hypothetical I would be to unsure with those numbers to pull the trigger as well.

And that does bring up the big question or statement. As long as we have Suboxone or similar medications.

Post Reply