Bupre, breastfeeding and weaning

Will my baby withdraw? Is my baby addicted? Can I have an epidural on Suboxone? Will buprenorphine hurt my baby? Can I breast feed on Suboxone? What medication-assisted treatment is best?
won
Average Poster
Average Poster

Bupre, breastfeeding and weaning

Post by won » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:06 am

Hi all together,
I am back after years. My boy is well although I kept taking 0,6 mg bupre a day while nursing.
Now I want to stop both things.
As I want to use lyrica or oxazepam as helpers, I want to stop the nursing first. My boy is now 31 months and he some days doesn't drink already.
BUT NOW my doctor says that I can't stop nursing, that I have to wean the bupre first, so that we can wean together. I do not agree with him, what do you ppl say and know?

docm2
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Re: Bupre, breastfeeding and weaning

Post by docm2 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:10 am

Not that it would make much difference but are you taking 6 mg or 0.6 mg of buprenorphine daily? Kids are weaned frequently while their moms are on a stable dose of buprenorphine. I haven't seen any specific problems following about a dozen through the process.
You didn't ask, but I wouldn't be a fan of oxazepam or any other benzo during your weaning and discontinuation of buprenorphine.

won
Average Poster
Average Poster

Post by won » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:38 pm

I take 0,6 mg buprenorphine daily. My son now didn't nurse since 4 days without any problems. That means that there won't be any withdrawal for him anymore, right?

About the benzos, yes, I know what you mean, but I did it with it earlier, and I wouldn't take it throughout the whole process, but only when taking a next step.

And thanks for the reply!

docm2
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Post by docm2 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:04 pm

That means that there won't be any withdrawal for him anymore, right?
So how did he do? I didn't think he would have any withdrawal but would like to hear what you experienced.
Also curious, are you in the USA? Oxazepam (Serax) is used so rarely here.

won
Average Poster
Average Poster

Post by won » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:41 pm

11 days without nursing and everything is fine, thanks God. Now I need not to be afraid of it anymore, right? Because my doctor said that the withdrawal symptoms can still occur after weeks, but I think he just used it to make me afraid and stop the buprenorphine earlier.
No, I am German, living in the Netherlands. Here they use oxazepam very much.