Pre Employment viasco

Will buprenorphine show up in drug tests? Can nurses take Suboxone? Can I do drug court on methadone or buprenorphine? My PO says NO medication-assisted treatments.
Amy-Work In Progress

Re: Pre Employment viasco

Post by Amy-Work In Progress » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:00 pm

It's so hard to stay optimistic in the face of the obstacles you've dealt with lately, but you are staying positive! That is a powerful tool! Your attitude plays a huge role in recovery. Keep on working!

Amy
Done is better than perfect!

Scofflaw
Average Poster
Average Poster

Post by Scofflaw » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:26 pm

Well, it's time for me to check in here again. Sorry it has been awhile since lasy I posyrf. What I wanted to make you all aware of is that I'm now 4 weeks into a new job that looks like its going to work out much better for me ( and pays a great deal more) than the job I was fighting so hard to hang onto, even though it was clear that they didnt want to hire me after the issue of Suboxone came up.
And just as importantly, I have been jumping through the usual hoops and bureacracy involved but I had my complaint submitted and later on accepted by the EEOC.
All I do now is wait. They tell me it could tae 6 months at the longest until they can complete an investigation, but the good thing is, It's going to happen, and if results in changes as to how this company conducts drug testing, and how they proceed whenever there are issues especially with regards t Suboxone, then I have done what I set out to do.

Thank you all for listening, and I will return.

S

Scofflaw
Average Poster
Average Poster

Re: Pre Employment fiasco

Post by Scofflaw » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:36 am

Well, it's been over 2 years since the beginning of this journey and I want to tell you all how it ended.
First as I mentioned I had obtained other employment and it has been very good to me. I am now fll time and enjoying a nice paycheck for the first time in years
Now here is the fun part !
I had been put through a lot by this company that "hired" me and then decided that they "didn't" hire me when they found out I had traces of Sub in my system.
The complaint I filed with the EEOC lo and behold was accepted for investigation.
The investigation found that the company liable for discriminating against a person in medically assisted treatment as outlined by the ADA.
They were fined by the state.
They had to train all of their supervisors on the particulars of the ADA regulations.
Employees were to be given handouts outlining discrimination and the ADA.
Oh and not least of all, ole Scofflaw here was awarded a handsome settlement.
It was worth every step of the fight.
It will be better for the next person that comes along who is fresh out of a treatment program that he successfully completed, and is ready to re-enter the workforce and be a productive citizen again.

I hope someone out there is encouraged by the story of this little journey.
Bless you all for being there to listen when I was at a low point in my life.

Amy-Work In Progress

Post by Amy-Work In Progress » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:24 pm

Thanks a lot! I hate crying because it stuffs up my nose for hours, but you obviously weren't thinking about me and my nose when you decided to tell us how the story ended!! :P

Seriously though... :D even though you made me cry I am so very happy for you!!

This outcome gives all of us hope! It's a good sign for the future. Mostly, I'm just personally happy for you, though, Scofflaw. You went through so much mental anguish, but you stayed proactive and kept pushing. We owe you a lot for advocating for all of us!

I had posted a few months ago about an EEOC outcome when another recovering addict on suboxone made a complaint about Volvo North America. The recovering addict also won a settlement and Volvo had to pay fines and penalties.

I just can't find the words right now to express how happy I am for you! You deserve the settlement!! I would let that high falutin lawyer know that he could have gotten part of your settlement, but it's too late now! It looks like the EEOC is going to continue to support recovering addicts on suboxone and that is good for all of us.

Congratulations!!!

Amy
Done is better than perfect!

Ashlee
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Post by Ashlee » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:15 pm

Wow Scofflaw!!! Another step in the right direction!! Heck yes!!!

Now finally, civilization & everything in it will see that MAT is successful, & shouldn't be stigmatized for getting help! It's stories like this one that push us forward, this is one of the greatest success stories I've heard in a while & it totally makes my day! I'm sure other folks here will come by & read this awesome success story! Keep coming back Scofflaw!

You totally made my day today, thank you! & Thanks for believing! :)

Ash
I may not have all what I want, but thank GOD I know how that I have all that I need.

Scofflaw
Average Poster
Average Poster

Post by Scofflaw » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:16 pm

Amy and Ashlee-
Thank you so much for the replies. Yes, if this story helps anybody in any way to feel empowered to go and stand up and fight when you know you have been wronged then I'm all for it.
Also, there is life at the end of the road no matter what ones journey is or no matter where those roads have taken them in the past. If you feel that deep down you are a good person then KNOW that you are, and let no one ever try to take that away from you.
YOU are worth it.

raudy1975
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Post by raudy1975 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:23 pm

OMG!!!

So there is justice in this world after all haha!! I could not be more happy for you. You had the patience to pursue this and were well rewarded for it.

Thanks for coming back and letting us know how the story ended. I was so curious to see how it worked out.

SOOOOOO happy that you are enjoying your new and better job.... and the other place had to revisit how to act like human beings.

jennjenn

Post by jennjenn » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:55 pm

Great job scofflaw!

Staying positive about any situation is really the key to it. I’ve been trying for years to teach myself to always see something positive out of not so great situations. I’m shocked at how once you get used to it, it really becomes second nature to do it. For example something simple..... my fiancé had issues on the road and was delayed a pretty good while yesterday to where he won’t make it home until tonight and he was torn to pieces aggravated over it. First thing I said and thought of was ‘well at least you’re going to be getting home and not broken down or something’. He said Jennifer you always have an answer for anything. Maybe that can get annoying but if you think about it things can always be worse.

I’m so happy that you’re in a good place!!!!
Jennifer