Suboxone Elimination Question

Will buprenorphine show up in drug tests? Can nurses take Suboxone? Can I do drug court on methadone or buprenorphine? My PO says NO medication-assisted treatments.
00Red
New Poster
New Poster

Suboxone Elimination Question

Post by 00Red » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:06 am

I was prescribed 15mg Oxycodone for a long term injury. My normal PM doc closed his practice abruptly about 4 months ago. I have access to Suboxone and would occasionally take .25 - .5mg as needed for pain and to deal with coming off the Oxy. I was off the Sub for about 3 weeks when I went to see a new PM doc this month. They did an oral drug screen swab and it came back clear. This PM doc put me on 5mg Oxy instead of 15mg. I took the Oxy for 2 weeks as prescribed, but it barely takes the edge off. Last week I flipped back to taking .25 - .5 mg Suboxone for pain relief and was planning to stop about 10 days before my follow up appointment. The doctor's office called yesterday and bumped my appointment up by a week since they are closing the office to relocate when my appointment was originally scheduled.

My last dose of Sub was yesterday afternoon and it was somewhere between .3 - .5 mg. I did hours worth of research last night and read where St. John's Wort is supposed to induce the enzyme that processes buprenorphine and can cause it to be eliminated from your system quicker. Has anyone tried that before? Most of the half-life and elimination calculators are based on much larger doses than what I have taken so it's hard to go off those. My appointment is Monday morning. Any/all advice is greatly appreciated.

Amy-Work In Progress

Re: Suboxone Elimination Question

Post by Amy-Work In Progress » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:23 am

I honestly don't know how to answer your question, unfortunately.

I just have a suggestion. Since buprenorphine seems to be working so well for your pain, maybe your doctor would consider prescribing Butrans, which is a patch that releases microdoses of buprenorphine. Here's a link to their site:

https://butrans.com/patient/what-is-butrans.html

I wish you luck. I don't know how hardcore your doctor is. I don't know if he will kick you out of his practice if he finds that you've been taking buprenorphine. I hope he doesn't! Please let us know what happens.

Amy
Done is better than perfect!