New Florida Drug Law HB21

Will buprenorphine show up in drug tests? Can nurses take Suboxone? Can I do drug court on methadone or buprenorphine? My PO says NO medication-assisted treatments.
Kruzen
New Poster
New Poster

New Florida Drug Law HB21

Post by Kruzen » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:43 am

Has anyone been affected by this new law? I went to pick up my suboxone at Walgreens and was told I had to contact my prescribing doctor??? I looked up Florida HB21 and it id full of special reporting requirements and restrictions and limits on controlled substances include Burb!

Amy-Work In Progress

Re: New Florida Drug Law HB21

Post by Amy-Work In Progress » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:44 am

Yes. Unfortunately, Kruzen, these new requirements went into effect on July 1, 2018. Here is a link to a description of the changes:

http://www.mor-of.net/1805_HB21_Prescription_Law.html

I hope that you will still be able to pick up your prescription as long as your prescriber gets with the new programming.

Amy
Done is better than perfect!

docm2
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Post by docm2 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:04 pm

I must be missing something as Buprenorphine products for addiction are schedule III and this law is about Schedule II drugs and the treatment of pain.
Creates an exemption to allow a physician to dispense Schedule II and III controlled substances approved by the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for the medication-assisted treatment (MAT) of his or her own patients.
Wonder if there is an overzealous pharmacist?

Amy-Work In Progress

Post by Amy-Work In Progress » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:36 pm

I did some more investigating and in HB21, it says that buprenorphine is now Schedule III. I thought it was already Schedule III! Now, there is wording under "Other" that might indicate change? I really don't know. Are they trying to make this super confusing?

Quote:

"Scheduling Changes

Adds dihydroetorphine, oripavine, remifentanil, tapentadol, thiafentanil, lisdexamfetamine, dronabinol and hydrocodone combination products to the list of Schedule II drugs.
Adds buprenorphine, embutramide and perampanel to the list of Schedule III drugs.
Adds alfaxalone, dexfenfluramine, dichloralphenazone, eluxadoline, eszopiclone, fospropofol, lorcaserin, modafinil, petrichloral, sibutramine, suvorexant, tramadol, zaleplon, zolpidem and zopiclone to the Schedule IV drug list.
The Schedule V list now contains compounds with not more than 0.5 milligrams of difenoxin, and not less than 25 micrograms of atropine sulfate per dosage unit and compounds or preparations containing any quantity of brivaracetam, ezogabine, lacosamide, or pregabalin.
Other

Added the possession of tableting machines, encapsulating machines and controlled substance counterfeiting materials by unauthorized persons to the controlled substance act as a third or second-degree felony, based on the circumstances.
Makes other technical and conforming changes to the controlled substances act.
Details the appropriations to enhance and expand treatment options, provide opioid antagonists to first responders, provide medication-assisted treatment for criminal offenders, and to make enhancements to the prescription drug-monitoring program."

And here is the link to the whole article:

https://www.mitchell.com/mitchellnews/i ... egislation

Amy
Done is better than perfect!

docm2
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Post by docm2 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:12 pm

You are correct Amy, DEA (Federal) has had buprenorphine as a schedule III for years. I wonder if the Florida board had it as a schedule IV and they changed to match the feds? I couldn't find anything specific with a brief Google search.
Some states have their own narcotics boards and separate schedules. Missouri, where I use to practice does. Iowa and Minnesota where I currently have licenses do not, they follow the DEA and relay on that registration for prescribing scheduled drugs.
DEA recently reclassified several opiates to Schedule II (Percocet, Vicodin) come to mind.

Minnesota passed similar legislation recently but not near as draconian or confusing. Basically tightening some controls. Some of them made sense, does a person really need 30 days of opiates for minor breaks and sprains or postop? Believe it or not only 50% of Minnesota providers had registered with the prescribers database. Granted, I don't see why a radiologist or pathologist would need to but anyone prescribing controlled drugs should be accessing it.