New law in AZ requires diagnosis on script?

Will buprenorphine show up in drug tests? Can nurses take Suboxone? Can I do drug court on methadone or buprenorphine? My PO says NO medication-assisted treatments.
Angie1221
New Poster
New Poster

New law in AZ requires diagnosis on script?

Post by Angie1221 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:52 pm

Has anyone heard of a new law in AZ that requires the doctor to write your diagnosis on the script? I’ve been getting the same script for 14 months and although I’ve had to jump through a ton of hoops, this is a new one to me. The pharmacist pulled me aside after I had already been waiting 45 minutes after it was supposed to be ready to tell me he wouldn’t fill it until he could talk to my doctor because there is a new law stating they have to write the diagnosis on the script. I’ve never heard of this and I can’t find anything on google. Can anyone help me?

razor55

Re: New law in AZ requires diagnosis on script?

Post by razor55 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:46 pm

No, ive never heard of this before after being here and on suboxone for 8 years. Id either 1} call your dr or 2} call the AZ State board of Phar and talk with them. Get the facts from them. Your Dr didnt write it so it ll be new to him/she too.

docm2
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Post by docm2 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:47 pm

This is not new or specific to any state. If your doctor forgot to put the DEA # that indicates they are prescribing for addiction (it is their regular DEA but the first letter is dropped and substituted with an X) then they would need to put 'for pain' to indicate they are using it off label and not under their buprenorphine waiver.
As Razor said you need to go to the source. That said, pharmacists pull stuff out of their 'hat' occasionally.

rule62

Post by rule62 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:22 pm

It's been on my script here in Nevada since I started in '11. Not sure about other states. It says "Opiate addiction in remission". Doesn't really bother me because that is what the medication is for. If I was taking it for pain then it might. Docm2 covered that part.
Don't take yourself so damn seriously

D.K.
Average Poster
Average Poster

Post by D.K. » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:05 am

Angie1221 wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:52 pm
Has anyone heard of a new law in AZ that requires the doctor to write your diagnosis on the script? I’ve been getting the same script for 14 months and although I’ve had to jump through a ton of hoops, this is a new one to me. The pharmacist pulled me aside after I had already been waiting 45 minutes after it was supposed to be ready to tell me he wouldn’t fill it until he could talk to my doctor because there is a new law stating they have to write the diagnosis on the script. I’ve never heard of this and I can’t find anything on google. Can anyone help me?
I don't know about the laws in Arizona, but after reading this post, I paid attention to my last Suboxone prescription. My doctor at CARE Clinic for Drug Addiction in Central Mississippi does not write a diagnosis on my Suboxone prescription. However, he does write "F11.20" at the bottom of it. When I looked this up on the internet, it turns out that F11.20 is the ICD-10-CM code for opioid dependence. I would not have known this, had I not looked it up on the internet. So perhaps your doctor is not writing a diagnosis on your Suboxone prescription, rather he is just writing the ICD-10-CM code which represents the diagnosis.