Can my employer fire me for suboxone

Will buprenorphine show up in drug tests? Can nurses take Suboxone? Can I do drug court on methadone or buprenorphine? My PO says NO medication-assisted treatments.
Addict080383
New Poster
New Poster

Can my employer fire me for suboxone

Post by Addict080383 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:20 pm

Hi I currently work for the railroad and due to two tours in Iraqi and injuries in the marines I got prescribed Oxy long story short I go addicted and went to rehab and I am prescribed suboxone.. I have work for this company for 12 yrs and really don’t have many options for employment so I need this job. Now my company has put out this list of prescription drugs that are not allowed and suboxone is at the top of the list.. They have threatened to now take me out of service if I continue this medication effective Jan 1 and I just found out about this so I have no time to wean myself off this medicine... I really have no where else to turn for help so I thought I would give this a try thanks

Amy-Work In Progress

Re: Can my employer fire me for suboxone

Post by Amy-Work In Progress » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:29 pm

I am so sorry for your situation! The answer is maybe. Some jobs, like the Department of Transportation in most states, require that their workers be abstinent from medications like methadone and suboxone. However, substance use disorder is considered to be a disability, and is therefore protected in the workplace.

The EEOC has been ruling in favor of folks who take suboxone. I would contact the EEOC and tell them about what your company is telling you. Here is the website: https://www.eeoc.gov/. Look up suboxone and you can see the rulings the EEOC has made on behalf of people on suboxone.

I think that the EEOC is your best bet in getting some answers on this issue! Let us know how it goes goes when you communicate with them. I wish you the best of luck!

Amy
Done is better than perfect!

Lillyval
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Post by Lillyval » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:33 am

So your company already knows you are on Suboxone?

If you’ve been working there 12 years and they suddenly fire you for being on medication that is going to look very bad for them. Definitely do what Amy said and find out what the law says for your type of work.

Sadly, to avoid lawsuits companies sometimes find “other” reasons for fire people. For instance you could have glowing reviews for the past 12 years, and suddenly you start getting reviews saying your work is sub-standard.

I wish you the best, let us know what you find out.

Lilly

Amy-Work In Progress

Post by Amy-Work In Progress » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:39 am

Lilly is absolutely correct on how important it is to show an exemplary work ethic from here on out. As she said, companies are pros at coming up with other reasons to fire people. Document EVERYTHING. If you can record meetings with your supervisor, either openly or hidden, do it!

Another suggestion is that you ask your suboxone doctor for a letter explaining that your thinking is not impaired while on a therapeutic dose of buprenorphine, and neither are your physical responses. Sometimes it takes the doctor a few weeks to produce a letter, so ask for this today! Explain how dire the situation is.

There is a brochure available from SAMHSA (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Association) that details your rights. Here is the link:

https://www.samhsa.gov/sites/default/fi ... e_0110.pdf

This brochure can be shown to your company heads, human resources, and your supervisor. I'm sure you can find more information from the EEOC website.

If worst comes to worst, look around for an attorney who specializes in employment case law. There may be a law firm that would take your case pro bono because they want to set a new precedent in case law. They may at least be able to arrange for a settlement for loss of future earnings.

I know this is a lot. I'm throwing a lot of information at you. It is just SO important that we begin fighting for our rights! If you provide all of this information to your employer, it's possible that they would consider "grandfathering" you in, even if they decided to flout the law for future employees.

Please let us know how this turns out for you. We can definitely offer support as you go through the process of trying to change your job outcome.

Amy
Done is better than perfect!

SubstantialTarantula
Super Poster
Super Poster

Post by SubstantialTarantula » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:28 pm

Addict080383 wrote:Hi I currently work for the railroad and due to two tours in Iraqi and injuries in the marines I got prescribed Oxy long story short I go addicted and went to rehab and I am prescribed suboxone.. I have work for this company for 12 yrs and really don’t have many options for employment so I need this job. Now my company has put out this list of prescription drugs that are not allowed and suboxone is at the top of the list.. They have threatened to now take me out of service if I continue this medication effective Jan 1 and I just found out about this so I have no time to wean myself off this medicine... I really have no where else to turn for help so I thought I would give this a try thanks
I'm curious what position u are working that is under such scrutiny? Are you driving the trains? Sounds like you are at an important crossroads. May the Sub be with you!
TRNTLa

jennjenn

Post by jennjenn » Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:01 am

I have a couple friends that work for the railroad and I know there can be very important positions BUT if these a-holes would educate themselves and realize you aren’t doing your job high then maybe they’d understand you aren’t sitting there nodding off. Geez some of these companies think they have it all figured out.

I’d be calling or contacting some of these places Amy recommended. Other than stopping suboxone (which I don’t recommend) what other choice do ya have? Other than going to a major higher up and explaining your situation and having your doctor have a conversation with them to educate them a lot more.

Good luck, it’s an uphill battle with close minded buttheads.
Jennifer

Rowdybird
Average Poster
Average Poster

Post by Rowdybird » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:08 pm

I am employed by department of transportation and have never heard of any specific rule denying suboxone use period. I would think it is individual workplace rules.if you read regulation for it which I have it specifically states narcotics like heroin morphine oxy hydro and so on never mentions suboxone. My work only tests for theses not suboxone. It is a special test for suboxone anyways, I would review the regulation and your job site should have the rules available otherwise go to DOT web site.

Sorry about your work environment must be stressful,trying to get you life in order and feel threatened as well.
Best wishes.

suboxdoc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by suboxdoc » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:16 am

Yes, Rowdy - I sometimes fill out that same form. The wording is, I think, deliberately confusing. It says that the person can't use schedule I substances OR narcotics like heroin, morphine.... just as you wrote. So I guess if there is an accident, injury, and lawsuit, lawyers can argue whether buprenorphine is more 'like' morphine or more 'unlike' morphine.

I have several buprenorphine patients who have CDLs and one who drives trains for the railroad. Buprenorphine doesn't seem to be a big issue. But I've never seen anyone get a CDL if they are on methadone.

jennjenn

Post by jennjenn » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:41 am

Hey Theplug, what does this mean? You keep posting this message on every single post and I’m wondering if it’s some type of ad or something. If it’s an ad then you can’t be posting that stuff. I don’t think any of us understand what it means exactly.
Jennifer

rule62

Post by rule62 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:05 pm

I've deleted 2 of them so far. We may need to show him/her the door. I think they want something. If I'm wrong Theplug, post it.

One job I know for sure you can't use Buprenorphine on is the mining industry. They test for it. The job is so very dangerous you can't have anything in your system that would impair your brain. Yes, we all know Suboxone doesn't do that but it's impossible to try to explain it to them.

Hope you don't run into any obstacles.
Don't take yourself so damn seriously