doseage of opiods

Does buprenorphine or methadone treat chronic pain? How to treat pain on Suboxone? Is Suboxone an opiate? Does buprenorphine treat oxycodone addiction? Heroin addiction? Cocaine addiction?
theodorewentworth
New Poster
New Poster

doseage of opiods

Post by theodorewentworth » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:19 am

Hello, I have been on buprenorphine just over 10 years and am in the beginning of having to go back to the Dr. as I will more than likely be needing to have another RFA on my neck and see in the years I have been on the buprenorphine I was on narcotics for 3 months and am not 100% sure what the dose was but I believe it was 10mg immediate release oxycodone though started at a lower dose only to need slight increase to actually work for pain. Is that typically what happens as far as being I have abused narcotics in the past can that make it so you might need to take a bit of a larger dose to make the narcotic work? I would also like to add that when I broke my neck my sub doctor (who is within the same system and my sub doc and primary do communicate as I am not trying to pull the wool over either's eyes) wanted me first to increase my on the buprenorphine from 24mg to 40mg and that did not do anything and then they decided a narcotic was acceptable with the conditions that I could be called and asked to go in for pill count which I was fine with though it never happened and would again. Sorry for maybe not the best sentence structure and if you only want to rip on me for that please try to refrain, Thank you for any suggestions in advanced and appreciate you for doing so if you do.

rule62

Re: doseage of opiods

Post by rule62 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:18 am

No one is going to rip you for anything you post. A lot of us can't type very well so most all understand. But I'm not sure what your question is. My guess is your trying to get pain control from Buprenorphine. IMO, lower doses work best and then up it just a little for those more painful days. That is only my opinion though. Others may swear the higher doses work better. All we can offer here is our own experience. Sometimes we have a doctor who gives professional opinions but they are both very busy and don't look at the site daily.

Welcome to our forum and we hope you find some answers you're looking for.
Don't take yourself so damn seriously

Lillyval
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Re: doseage of opiods

Post by Lillyval » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:55 pm

Hi - there is a toolbar at the top of this blog, and if you click on talkzone it will take you to Dr. Junig’s blog. There is a lot of information on pain control while on Suboxone that you can find with the blog’s search bar. For pain control with just Suboxone usually the protocol is to divide your current dose into approx. 4 doses per day and take a dose every 4-6 hours. As far as taking 40mg/day, I believe that is over the legal limit. Also past a certain point increasing the dose doesn’t do anything for pain.

As far as taking an opioid painkiller WITH the Suboxone, the last thing I remember Dr. J saying was to reduce to 1-2mg/day of Suboxone while taking other opioid. That way they work synergistically, and the Suboxone doesn’t totally block the painkiller. I’m pretty sure at 24mg/day it will be completely blocked.

Double check on Dr. J’s blog. I’m just a member and not qualified to give medical advice.