New mom

Will buprenorphine show up in drug tests? Can nurses take Suboxone? Can I do drug court on methadone or buprenorphine? My PO says NO medication-assisted treatments.
firsttimemommy
New Poster
New Poster

New mom

Post by firsttimemommy » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:43 pm

Hi! So i am new mom and i have been on suboxone for about a year now... I go to licensed doctors who are great! they just switched me to Subutex. I read online and on here when having a controlled substance you automatically get check by child services..

I have never had a dirty urine and i always make my appointments, i am so scared they will take my baby away from me and if/when they show up i do not know what to expect..

Also I have not take the subutex yet when is a good time to start?

If someone has any insight please help.

Thank you

duke_fanatic
One Month or More
One Month or More

Re: New mom

Post by duke_fanatic » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:47 pm

The active ingredient in Suboxone (buprenorphine) is the same active ingredient in Subutex.
You can stop one and start the other immediately. They are essentially interchangable.
Regarding the child services concerns, I can't help there since I have no kids.

Amy-Work In Progress

Post by Amy-Work In Progress » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:48 pm

From what I understand the most CPS will do is interview you at the hospital unless the find any red flags like oxy in your urine or something like that. And they might do a home visit, just to check the environment for the baby. CPS isn't wanting to take your baby away. You are being treated for a chronic disorder and as long as you are following the rules you should be fine.

I strongly suggest that you join a facebook group called: Stand strong, stand proud (mothers on subutex, suboxone, methadone)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/subutex.suboxone/

There are lots of moms there who have great information because they have recently been through this experience. They are experts on the best things you can do to try to avoid your baby having NAS after they are born. They have experience with CPS and what to do if baby ends up in the NICU.

You are doing the right thing by staying on your medication and seeking information!

Amy
Done is better than perfect!

suboxdoc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by suboxdoc » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:59 pm

Nice avatar Duke!

I agree with both comments, and don't have much to add... but feel free to ask if something else comes up. Many of the people who read and/or post have been in your shoes. Things are much better now in most parts of the country in regard to buprenorphine treatment; you can take some faith in the fact that buprenorphine meds have become recognized as the most-appropriate approach to treating opioid use disorder in pregnant women. 15 years ago many OBs didn't even know what the medication was, let alone how to deal with a woman taking the medication, but now doctors have no excuse if they don't have that knowledge.

I often look for an excuse to plug a couple other sites.... if you use the search function on my blog, http://www.suboxonetalkzone.com, you'll find tons of info about buprenorphine and pregnancy. And at http://www.suboxsearch.com you can search either that blog or this forum to find info about pregnancy and other issues.

Take care!

Mk12496
Average Poster
Average Poster

Post by Mk12496 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:27 am

Hi.. I'm new to this and don't know how to make a post of my own. But I'm currently pregnant(8 months) and have been on subutex throughout my entire pregnancy.. But recently moved to S.C. and have been unable to switch my insurance, get a baby Dr or a sub Dr up here yet. I've been here since the 26th of last month and I ran out of my subutex today and am worrying like hell bc I don't know what will happen to the baby if I go into full blown detox. I was thinking of taking my prescription bottle into the ER and explaining my situation or trying to find a suboxone dr here that I may be able to pay cash to every 2 weeks(bc there is no way I can afford a month Dr visit plus script at once, so I need one I can go to every 2 weeks if possible until I get insurance switched). Does anyone have any advice of what I should do? If so plz plz help me

jennjenn

Post by jennjenn » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:44 am

Have u been actively looking for doctors? It’s been close to a month since u moved, u haven’t had any luck finding a doctor yet? U may need to get on a waiting list so go ahead and be calling (surly ur situation would bump u up sooner in a waiting list though as long as they had an opening). There’s plenty of doctors out there that will have u come in weekly at first like my doctor, and weekly patients can pay weekly also. That’s definitely something u can do at a lot of places so just find out when ur calling around.

I think the ER thing is a good idea right now since u have run out. I’d still be calling around like a madwoman but the ER could maybe get ya through the next few days.... I’m not sure how that works, maybe an urgent care? Those places can also recommend u places to call too. Go to ur local health department for ur OB appointments until ur insurance gets straightened out. In my state, pregnant women can get insurance throughout their pregnancy.

U didn’t mention how far along u are (if u did then I’m sorry I overlooked it). Imo it isn’t great for the baby to go into full on withdrawal. Definitely be calling around but in the meantime, I think that the ER or an urgent care and the local health department are good alternatives. I sure hope u get this sorted out quickly, I know this has to be scary and I’m sorry ur having to go through this. U can get this worked out so please try to stay calm. Please keep us updated, maybe others will be along to offer their ideas and advice.

Good luck!!
Jennifer

Ashlee
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Post by Ashlee » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:03 pm

Mk12496,

Message me right now & I'll help you find a doctor. You can't cold turkey like that, it'll put you in too much stress & the baby will be affected. Please when you see this, message me.

Ash
I may not have all what I want, but thank GOD I know how that I have all that I need.

Mk12496
Average Poster
Average Poster

Post by Mk12496 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:53 pm

Ash idk how to message u except like this. Can u text me? My phone # is 865-443-5591

jennjenn

Post by jennjenn » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:53 am

MK if ur from the Knoxville area then I can give a number to my OBGYN in Knoxville. I can also find u some phone numbers to a local health department and TennCare’s phone number. I know knoxville has plenty of suboxone prescribing doctors too. Just message me. In Tennessee (at least it used to be last time I checked) all pregnant women without insurance are covered through TennCare. I don’t know if u have proof u live in TN or not but just by calling them u can find out. I have their number.
Jennifer