Veteran looking for answers...

Does buprenorphine or methadone treat chronic pain? How to treat pain on Suboxone? Is Suboxone an opiate? Does buprenorphine treat oxycodone addiction? Heroin addiction? Cocaine addiction?
bfromaz
New Poster
New Poster

Veteran looking for answers...

Post by bfromaz » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:03 pm

Hi all. Have some questions if any can answer. I have severe diffuse idiopathic skeletal hyperostosis. Mild to severe stenosis. Bone spurs. Scoliosis. 4 vertebrae fusion. Most of my spine is fused. ligaments and tendons calcifying etc. Host of other associated issues.

Locked in a stalemate with the VA for the last 16 months. They only use suboxone. I do not want to risk another addiction by going down this road. Then later to find out its ineffective and im stuck.

Over the last 30 years I have successfully withdrawn off opiates 3 times on my own. Bad doctors, loss of insurance etc. I withdrew off 270mg of morphine 3 years ago. I really don't need another withdrawal.

My big issue right now is blood pressure. Pain makes it go up really high and the VA is unable to manage it.

Questions...

where is the point of no return with this drug ( amount taken and time taken )? Would it be effective for severe spinal issues? how bad is the constipation?

Any advice is appreciated. :)

Bfromaz

rule62

Re: Veteran looking for answers...

Post by rule62 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:38 pm

This is a tough one. Suboxone is not normally prescribed for pain. The active ingredient, buprenorphine, comes in patches and pill form. Taken in low doses it does seem to help with pain. Whether or not it'll help with your spinal issues remains to be seen.

I get it you don't want to go down the opiate road again and face another withdrawal process. Buprenorphine is a milder form of a synthetic opiate and may be easier to stop than full agonist meds. Everyone has an opinion on that subject. Some say it's easier and others say they went through hell. Those who say it was bad, I wonder how bad it would have been on their drug of choice. Much worse is my guess. Most addicts hate withdrawal and put way too much emphasis on it, making it worse in their minds than it really is.

We have a couple doctors here who pop in from time to time and I hope they see your question and respond. I say discuss the options with your physician and ask why they use buprenorphine instead of traditional pain medications. Ask them if it'll help with your specific pain.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Welcome to the forum!
Don't take yourself so damn seriously

bfromaz
New Poster
New Poster

Re: Veteran looking for answers...

Post by bfromaz » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:33 pm

The VA is on a hardcore opiate free crusade. I walked in with my spinal cord almost severed and they left me that way for almost 2 months without as much as a tylenol. Its a brutal system to be in if you have serious issues. For 16 months now they have been unable to control my BP. Numerous ER visits. At this point I need to do something before I stroke out or have a heart attack.

I was on high doses of morphine for almost 10 years and did the withdrawal on my own. All withdrawal is is more pain and discomfort. Some folks can tolerate that and others cannot...

So my choices are Suboxone or keep rolling the dice on my BP. I'm actually okay being in pain. After 30 plus years you just get used to it. My body though does not agree...

Thanks for the response. :)

Bfromaz