Numbness in hands

Does Suboxone hurt teeth? Why does the film taste bad? Am I high on Suboxone? If you have side effects to buprenorphine, discuss them here.
Amy-Work In Progress

Re: Numbness in hands

Post by Amy-Work In Progress » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:37 pm

Well, Galaxy. We have no way of knowing when numbness in the hands may have been added to the list of side effects. You may be right that it's settled now, but was it in 2017 when this thread started? If you have a way of finding that out find me a source because I'd like to look at it! Thanks!

Amy
Done is better than perfect!

Amy-Work In Progress

Post by Amy-Work In Progress » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:51 pm

Ok, looking at the insert for my medication, Zubsolv, these are the possible serious side effects:

Sleepiness, dizziness, problems with coordination
Dependency or abuse
Respiratory problems when taken with another CNS depressant
Liver problems
Allergic reaction: rash, hives, swelling of face, wheezing, loss of blood pressure and consciousness
Opioid Withdrawal
Decrease in Blood Pressure

Common side effects of Zubsolv include:

Headache
Nausea
Vomiting
Increased sweating
Constipation
Drug withdrawal syndrome
Decrease in sleep
Pain
Swelling of the extremities

That's it. That's all it says.

Amy

jennjenn

Post by jennjenn » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:41 pm

A large number of members of this forum have been patients being prescribed buprenorphine for years..... so yes, we’ve read the inserts.
Jennifer

Lillyval
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Post by Lillyval » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:37 pm

My newest insert for Suboxone films lists asthenia (weakness) as a side effect, but not paresthesia (pins and needles sensation). This is the insert that comes in the box, not the printout from the pharmacy. I couldn’t check that because I shredded it.

Interestingly, they finally listed mouth ulcers and androgen deficiency under post marketing experience.

Amy-Work In Progress

Post by Amy-Work In Progress » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:45 pm

Lilly, finally!! And the ulcers didn't happen with zubsolv, by the way. Only suboxone!

Amy

Mamaerinr
Average Poster
Average Poster

Post by Mamaerinr » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:04 am

I started Suboxone 4 months ago. Within the first week I developed pretty intense joint pain and stiffness; and numb hands, and fingertips. This was no coincidence. I am now taking Mobic for joint pain but no help for the numbness. Some have offered me advice to lower dose from 8mg a day to 4mg and see if that helps. I don’t feel ready to decrease amount; side effect is annoying and uncomfortable but benefit still outweighs complication. Numb extremities, joint pain and weight gain are all listed as symptoms of Suboxone. Like some have mentioned it’s likely the naloxine portion causing it and subutex might be the answer but my dr won’t prescribe that. The naloxine factor is what keeps people from shooting up their Suboxone so many drs will only prescribe Suboxone for treatment for good reason. Anyhow just wanted to chime in that I too am another with numb hands and fingertips!! I need to get off of the computer now cause this definitely makes it hurt worse!
Erin R
Last edited by Mamaerinr on Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mamaerinr
Average Poster
Average Poster

Post by Mamaerinr » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:15 am

*opiate addiction

....also wanted to add I Have swelling in hands in the am; and ankles in the pm. I gained 20 pounds in 5 months. But I also started Paxil at the same time as Suboxone. My appetite, especially for sugar has sky rocketed. I joined weight watchers! Lol... had to do something. Some of the weight is due to swelling I’m sure; but not all of it. I’ll still take these side effects over not taking Suboxone. My life is much more stable; I don’t have the craziness that I had before trying to feed my addictions. I realize im dependent on Suboxone now but I do believe the tapering will be much more controllable than tapering pills without the support of my doctor. My drs office holds free meetings several times a week for support, and my family is on board with me now. Again, just wanted to share my experience that numb hands are absolutely a seriously annoying side effect but I’m willing to deal with it. In the back of my mind i do wonder though if this is sign of a circulation problem that could be affecting my health. I’d like to know the answer to that. I’ll talk to my dr about that but I’d like to hear others opinions too. Thanks everyone. Erin R

Mamaerinr
Average Poster
Average Poster

Post by Mamaerinr » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:12 am

My email address is mamaerinr@yahoo.com if you want to discuss further.

Mamaerinr
Average Poster
Average Poster

Post by Mamaerinr » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:22 am

* you may not see numbness of hand / fingers listed as a side efffect; but most do say swelling of extremities. The numbness is secondary to the the swelling imo that causes the numbness because it puts pressure on the nerves as they run through the wrists.

Joshb88
Average Poster
Average Poster

Post by Joshb88 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:23 am

What sucks is that I also have this side effect. I had it 5 years ago the first time I was on Suboxone, and then I quit taking it and it went away. And now i just got back into recovery and within 1 week it's come back. It hurts so bad and everyone thinks you're mistaken or it's something else. But i agree it's 100% the suboxone causing it. Makes no sense really but there must be some doctor who has the answer as to why it does this to some.

rule62

Post by rule62 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:33 pm

Hi Josh, if you do find a doctor with an answer please let us know. This subject has been around for many years and it seems to never be resolved.

BTW, welcome to the forum!
Don't take yourself so damn seriously

Joshb88
Average Poster
Average Poster

Post by Joshb88 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:10 pm

I went to the ER on Labor day because my fingers were locked up. The ER doctor told me he previously prescribed suboxone and peripheral edema was thw most common side effect in his patients. He gave me 3 lasix pills to take home. Its a diuretic and supposed to make you pee out excess water that could cause pressure. It didnt help. The doctor also said it was the naloxone and even though its inert ot still gets absorbed. He said i probably wont be able to get my MAT doctor to give me subutex but it would likely resolve the issue. I had small water blisters appear on my hands so im going to push that im allergic. Im interested in the sublocade injection but dont want to commit unless i know 100% that removing the naloxone would cause a difference. Has anyone had a positive change from switching to the sublocade injection?

Cytokrom C
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Cytokrom C » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:01 am

Paresthesia was reported by 5.9% of subjects in the pivotal efficacy study of Suboxone (including the extension safety study):
https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/documents/ ... ion_en.pdf

Paresthesia is listed as a common treatment related adverse reaction in the European SmPC for Suboxone:
https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/26225#gref

The US prescribing information appears only to reflect findings in the initial controlled 4-week efficacy part of the study, where the incidence was only 0.9% (they used a cut-off at 5% for the PI).

rule62

Post by rule62 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:02 pm

One would think that if you showed the doctors results to your prescribing Suboxone doctor then he might change his mind and give you plain buprenorphine. Knowing Sub docs the way we do it probably won't happen. To us, it's a no brainer.
Don't take yourself so damn seriously

Joshb88
Average Poster
Average Poster

Post by Joshb88 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:27 pm

I was just prescribed adhd meds and my symptoms have improved 50% since starting the ampsalts.

Ripamaru
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Ripamaru » Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:37 am

I joined this forum specifically looking for an answer to this problem.

I started having numbness in my hands and especially fingers at night and upon waking. It happens sometimes during the day also.

I didn't connect it until my wife started having the same problem. We both starting Suboxone 5 months ago. We don't have any other common medications or other common health problems. There doesn't seem to be any reason that this would happen to both of us at the same time without a common source.

Joshb88
Average Poster
Average Poster

Post by Joshb88 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:34 am

Well guys, I found the answer for my numbness and pain caused by suboxone. Last night I took a 400 mg neurontin and slept like a baby. The numbness went away and the pain running down my arms also went away. I'm not sure if I'll be able to convince my dr to write me a script but I'm going to tell them the facts and see how it goes. I have also considered trying phenibut, as it is a gabapentinoid and can be bought legally. I hope this helps someone in need.