I am off Subutex with hardly any withdrawals!!

How to stop Suboxone? How long should I be on buprenorphine? Is Suboxone withdrawal bad? How do I detox?
jennjenn

Re: I am off Subutex with hardly any withdrawals!!

Post by jennjenn » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:14 am

Subtaperingnow I’m so happy for you! I’m happy to have witnessed (as much as I could through the forum lol) your journey. You did exactly what you needed to do at the pace you needed to do it. It makes all the difference when you do it for you. Of course we love our family and would want to do anything for them but when it comes to something like this, it just has to be done when we’re ready. You are doing it!

Good luck and I hope your gloomy starts getting brighter :) (not saying your gloomy I just didn’t know how to put it)! Hopefully you’ll keep updating us!!
Jennifer

subtaperingnow
Super Poster
Super Poster

Post by subtaperingnow » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:37 pm

Thanks Jenn :D

You definitely know what I have been through. The first time I tapered I was not ready, and I suffered for so long before I gave up. The problems I do have this time are not bad at all. One thing I do notice is I have a low pain tolerance since getting off subutex, but that was pretty much expected. Overall I feel great and I am very thankful for that, because I worked so hard to get to this point.

DeeKay
Super Poster
Super Poster

Post by DeeKay » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:02 pm

Thank you so much for writing about your journey off Subutex. It's a real inspiration for me and it gives me so much hope! :)

I'm currently at .5 mg's. When I last posted to your thread in June I was at 1 mg so I've definitely made some progress. But like you said, take it slow. I'm guessing that I have about 5 more months to taper completely. I want to pause for Thanksgiving then Christmas and New Year's.

I couldn't agree more about doing small dose reductions and adjusting to them prior to dropping again. I'm low now, but not nearly low enough.

Your story is a real inspiration and thanks for continuing to post about it.
Today I Will Not Worry About the Things I Can Not Control

Amy-Work In Progress

Post by Amy-Work In Progress » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:13 pm

I remain very happy for you and proud of you. Not just for working hard, but for recognizing what work needed to be done before you could taper off so easily the second time you tried. That's a very big deal!

Your honesty, while probably uncomfortable for any who wants to skate off buprenorphine without doing the work, is so necessary for our members. We need to be up front about the experiences of folks like you who have been through the taper attempt twice, and why the second attempt was so different. Very important stuff!

Congratulations on 6 months!!

Amy
Done is better than perfect!

subtaperingnow
Super Poster
Super Poster

Post by subtaperingnow » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:40 pm

I'm currently 8 months off of Subutex.

I feel really good, not really anything to complain of. My memory is bad at times, but always has been lol. Oh, and I quit smoking cigarettes about a month ago as well. I want to live healthy in every aspect. I have never worried about my health, because I never had a reason to. But, after going through this process I realize I'm not invincible and I'm not 18 anymore I'm closer to 30 haha. I'm slowly getting my confidence back. Recovering is such a slow process, but when you look back even a month you can see the difference.

Deekay, slow and steady is imperative when tapering off of Bupe. We are all different for some of us it takes longer especially if you were on Bupe for years. I know I had a tough time, but I never gave up and I took my time even if others didn't agree and that was my success. I would stay at the dose your at until you feel your ready to lower it. The pain and suffering just isn't worth it, and I know personally toughing it out will not make you recover quicker if anything it did the opposite for me.

subtaperingnow
Super Poster
Super Poster

Post by subtaperingnow » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:00 pm

I haven't been on here in a while and figured I would stop in and tell you guys that I have been off Subutex for 1 year! I just found out I'm pregnant with my second child, and I'm excited my husband is as well. I have felt pretty good this past year, but I have also struggled at times. Mainly, anxiety is terrible and I don't take any medications so I've had to learn to get through it.

I have also dealt with ongoing injuries.. I have nerve pain that will not go away 7 months after the injury and I'm in my 20's. Other than that things have been great though the struggle was real, it got better quick. And I thank everyone that was there for me through it all. You guys helped me and understood when no one else did and I will always be thankful for that. :D

jennjenn

Post by jennjenn » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:51 am

Awwwww congratulations!!!! Yay a new baby on the way!

I can’t believe it has been a year already! Gosh it doesn’t seem like it at all. I’m so happy for you and I wish you so much success and love! Please keep us updated :)
Jennifer

TeeJay
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Post by TeeJay » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:45 pm

Congratulations!!!

I love hearing people get off sub and do well. Keep reporting back! You're an inspiration.

TeeJay

subtaperingnow
Super Poster
Super Poster

Post by subtaperingnow » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:42 am

I know Jenn time just goes by so quick. As you know I was dedicated to getting off Subutex no matter how long it took, and I'm thankful for all the support. Not sure if I could have done it without this website, and the positive support from all of you. And thanks I'm excited about the baby we tried for this one, and my first one.

Well we only tried once for this one so it was rather unexpected to happen that quick. This will be my last one I don't wanna be pushing babies out in my 30's lol. My first was an easy pregnancy, but this time I am beyond tired all the time. My daughter is very active so I just try my best to keep up with her.

Thanks Jenn, and Teejay I will most def keep you guys updated. Enjoy the beautiful weather.

Amy-Work In Progress

Post by Amy-Work In Progress » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:24 pm

I am so happy for you! Congratulations on the new bun in the oven!

I, too, can't believe it's already been a year! You are a superstar and we are very proud of how hard you've worked on your recovery.

Amy

PAINguin1
One Month or More
One Month or More

Post by PAINguin1 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:51 am

So is it safe to assume that the OP was crushing 8mg tablets and mixing the powder with 10ml of water and dosing with an oral syringe? How else could you get down to .x mg of Bup? That is the only way I know of...

I am about to take the plunge (for the 3rd time in my life). I stopped in 2012 but only lasted a year or so... I stopped in 2016 for 14 months but suffered from such severe PAWS along with excruciating anxiety and depression that I nearly committed suicide for the first time in my life.

But while Bup saved my life back in the day when I needed it to I do not need this crap any longer. It has ruined my life as it plays hell with my sleeping patterns. I am unsure if any of you have dealt with deep sleeping issues from Sub/Bup use but it has ruined my career and put a screeching halt to my academic progress some years ago.

For me, I have to come off of this stuff once again and hope that I will be able to cope with what comes afterwards. If I cannot fix my sleeping issues then my life will always be sh*t and therefore not worth living. I cannot hold a job longer than a few months, the drug makes me a bipolar basket case so my relationships have suffered pretty much since I started taking Subs and I just absolutely have to find a way back to normalcy.

Anyway, I ask again, do you guys think the OP was using an oral syringe in order to reach that dose?
FYI: Micrograms would be a millionth of a gram. I believe 1/10th of a gram is what was meant by the OP but whatever...

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions. Apologies for my harsh and somewhat negative post... But I am just sick and tired and being sick and tired (that saying is always relevant).

Respectfully,

PAinguIN
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

-Edmund Burke
1729-1797

rule62

Post by rule62 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:06 pm

This being an old thread I didn't read the OP's story again. But I think you're probably right about the mcg's vs mg's. A lot of posters put the decimal point in the wrong place. Most all of us know what they meant and that could be what happened here. No matter, it doesn't really help your case anyway. My suggestion is to use the film instead of pills. 2 mg is as low as it goes but you can cut those into very small pieces. To get to a micro dose, see if you can get the Butran's Patch. It comes in 5, 10, and 20 mcg's. Good luck with that request. Some doctors won't prescribe it for whatever reasons.

What is the deep sleep problem? We've never had that discussion or I missed it. Same with being bi-polar. The important thing here is you know what needs to be done and we wish you well on your tapering and eventual cessation of Buprenorphine. You've been here awhile but my memory of your posts is not working so excuse my request for info that you might have already posted.

We do get it that some members just want off and we support your decision. Just try not to talk too badly about Suboxone, we surely don't want to scare off a new member thinking they'll have your side effects.
Don't take yourself so damn seriously

jennjenn

Post by jennjenn » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:23 am

I agree with Rule, your issues with buprenorphine is unfortunate and I’m sorry your experience has been negative and we’re very supportive of your decision. That type of experience isn’t typical though and I definitely don’t want newcomers to get scared to death and run away from this treatment.

PAWS can happen when you stop any opiate, I experienced PAWS for 6 months after stopping oxycodone and morphine once I entered and graduated inpatient treatment. I’ve never felt anything like it, I’ve never been suicidal but I guarantee you I was close because I was as miserable as I’ve ever been in my 43 years. I couldn’t sleep at all because I was in fear of waking up doing it all over again. The depression and anxiety was crippling, plus cravings hit me hard too so I was dealing with all that. I was the saddest I’ve ever been, I was the most anxious I’ve ever been, the most obsessive I’ve ever been......... I was isolating, all while trying to just stay in recovery another minute let alone another day. At the time I had no idea this was PAWS. I evidently went to the most uneducated rehab facility in Tennessee because I was feeling this way in treatment and they told me I should have been feeling better MENTALLY within 2 weeks and the fact that I wasn’t meant something else was going on. PAWS was never mentioned as a possibility so until I learned about it on my own, they had me convinced I was an anomaly. That was a very hard time in my life and when I hear someone talk about them going through it, it breaks my heart! I relapsed after 6 months and didn’t find recovery again until years later.

Like I said, I understand your experience with buprenorphine isn’t good but I don’t want anyone to think it’s the typical experience. I hope you find peace, we all deserve to live a 'normal' life again.
Jennifer

gdg111
New Poster
New Poster

Post by gdg111 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:06 pm

Good evening to all. I'm 3 weeks today out of an inpatient 32 day stay;(4) days in detox and (28) in a group setting that I successfully graduated from. The reason for my post is to get help in coming off of the 16mg/day - 8mg in the morning and 8mg in the evening of buprenorphine. I am very grateful for the buprenorphine and how it helped me through the withdrawal however, I'm scared and want off before months turn into years, Respectfully, I am requesting help from an expert on this forum. Thank-you in advance for your help and support. Best, douglas P.S. Please accept my apologies if this is not in the correct place.

Amy-Work In Progress

Post by Amy-Work In Progress » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:53 am

Douglas, I owe you a post. I'm sorry it's taken me so long to answer you.

I don't have a detailed taper system for what your situation is. In fact, I don't recommend what you are proposing.

The scientific evidence shows over and over that tapering after only a couple of weeks of using buprenorphine just for detoxing does not work! You will have the same overwhelming odds of relapsing to your drug of choice now as you did before you went into rehab. What works is to stay on the medication long enough to completely change your life from when you were in active addiction. Buprenorphine allows you to work on recovery while not experiencing the intense craving for opioids as before.

Our forum is here to encourage people to take buprenorphine in the right way for the right purposes.

Here are a few of the many articles backing up what I'm saying:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18984887

https://link.springer.com/article/10.21 ... 9050-00006

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3140220/

https://journals.lww.com/addictiondisor ... ine.5.aspx

Some of the links are to abstracts, but they list the conclusions from the study.

I hope this helps to persuade you to consider staying on buprenorphine for a longer period of time!

Amy

subtaperingnow
Super Poster
Super Poster

Post by subtaperingnow » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:25 pm

Hi everyone, sorry I haven't been on in awhile I had my beautiful baby last November and have been very busy. I have 2 kids now, and I am happy with that. I'm having problems from giving birth though I almost died giving birth and don't plan on having anymore kids. Anyways, I am still clean from Subutex and all substances for that matter.. I do have a few beers though here and there but really who doesn't lol. I have been clean for 2 years and a couple months now and I feel great. All the problems I had from withdrawing have went away. I know I never want to go back after finally making it out. But I will say Subutex saved my life. I hope everyone is doing well and is staying safe with this virus.

jennjenn

Post by jennjenn » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:46 am

Subtaperingnow so glad to hear an update from you!!! I didn’t realize you were expecting, how’d I miss that?!! Congratulations on a healthy baby. So November, won’t be long and it’ll be the big 1st birthday!! Amazing! I had my second child in November, I think that’s a good month for baby :D

So happy to know you’re doing well and everything is still good in your recovery. I’ve said it a hundred times and I’ll say it again, people need to see others that have tapered off and living the life they hoped for. Thank you so much for letting us know. Please continue to come bk and update. I’m so happy for you. I truly am!
Jennifer