New to forum

Share something about yourself, where you live, and what you like to do. Save your addiction story for that section.
Tommy
Average Poster
Average Poster

New to forum

Post by Tommy » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:50 pm

Hello! I thought I would give this forum a try while I go thru my journey. History... I started on subs 13 years ago. Yes 13. It’s been a very long time. I needed it. I tried rehab several times, cold turkey, opiate taper, methadone. Nothing worked. A friend turned me on to a sub DR. and the first day on subs was the last day I did a street drug or abused pills. I have totally turned my life around. Repaired all relationships, soared at work, new house, cars, vacations. Life if great.At this point in life I can honestly say I dont know anyone that has access to drugs. I have totally changed my life.
I started with a medical doctors office, just a regular office seeing patients for many reasons. He retired 10 years in. Sent me to a partner in the office, 3 years in and I get a call last week that he is no longer seeing patients. I found out from a nurse he was fired for something drug related. I got real worried, I was on my own. I found a clinic that only does Suboxone and got started last week. This put a fire under my ass to finally get off these. They served their purpose but now is the time to start my taper......
I right away cut from 12 mg to 3.4 mg. I am on day 7 today and am starting to feel better, its been a rough last few days but not anything like I though I would have from that drastic of a drop. Im gonna ride this for a few weeks and then drop another mg, and so on. I have a goal to be off by April. I have read several of your journeys and I hope that one day some one will read this and be inspired. Ill check in often.

jennjenn

Re: New to forum

Post by jennjenn » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:25 pm

Hello Tommy and welcome to the forum!

Good luck on your taper and it sounds like you have had some instances where you had to find a new doctor and that would be scary! Especially it happening more than once! There’s more and more doctors in my area that prescribe buprenorphine so I didn’t worry too much but I always loved my doctor and if he’d stopped treating then I wouldn’t have been happy about it for sure.

I too haven’t touched a single opiate or even a drop of alcohol since the day of my induction 8 years ago. My life is better right now than it has been in a VERY long time. I do think that some of us can taper and live a life of abstinence, I also think there’s just as many that may always need this treatment. For those that need this medication long term, it isn’t anything to feel bad about because we’re all different. I’m glad you’re ready, you seem like you know exactly what is best for you! That’s pretty awesome. Definitely keep us updated because we all need to hear about it, we all need to know that it’s ok to be ready and it’s ok if you aren’t......... and I look forward to hearing about your journey!
Jennifer

rule62

Post by rule62 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:13 pm

Welcome here Tommy. We suggest you look up some of the taper schedules others have used here to slowly reduce your dosage. Your first drop was way too large. Our good doctor here suggests small increments every two weeks to let your body and mind adjust.

I'm at 1 mg a day and have been on that dose for years. Please go slow with small reductions and you'll be a lot happier on how you feel day to day.

Yes, 13 years is long but I'm right behind you at 10.
Don't take yourself so damn seriously

Tommy
Average Poster
Average Poster

Post by Tommy » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:21 am

Thanks for the welcome! Yes it was a fast drop. However today is day 10 and I feel perfect, it was a little rough during the first 5 or so days but not nothing like I thought, I am actually lower . I have been cutting it in 6 pieces the last 3 days and taking 2 pieces a day that's approx 2.6mg. Its not like the cost is anything different. Its still $4 a script if its 45 films or 1 film. Also my wife has done the same thing. She didn't notice anything much on a taper from 12 to 2.6 in a week. She never was someone who felt withdrawals. At least wasn't vocal about it. I would like to be done by July. We plan on a month plus vacation out of the country and this clinic is a weekly script clinic. I have given up so much to these dr visits. Dont get me wrong. I know its better to be alive then then other...There is so much travel I want to do and at this point in my life I can do it. I cannot if I have to fly home weekly or even monthly for an appointment..... She wants to be done by April. Ill keep up here and let people know how its going.

Tommy
Average Poster
Average Poster

Post by Tommy » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:40 am

Still doing well, I am totally adjusted to the drop fro 12mg. I am at 2 mg a day. I will be riding this out another week then I want to drop 1/2 mg. My wife has dropped from 12 to 1.5 for the last week. I noticed taking 5htp 3x a day and melatonin at night helps get thru the drops. Ill check back in a while.

Brenn55
Average Poster
Average Poster

Post by Brenn55 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:46 pm

Hey Tommy I had the opposite effect Suboxone didn’t work but methadone did. I’m just wondering if you wouldn’t mind sharing with me why methadone didn’t work for you. I have been on methadone for to long and like you recently a fire has been lit I’m starting to talk with my counselor about trying to get off methadone. I’m just scared as can be though because I’ve heard horror stories about how bad methadone WDs are because of its long half life. Anyway congrats welcome and good luck.
One Day At A Time

Tommy
Average Poster
Average Poster

Post by Tommy » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:03 pm

Brenn55 wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:46 pm
Hey Tommy I had the opposite effect Suboxone didn’t work but methadone did. I’m just wondering if you wouldn’t mind sharing with me why methadone didn’t work for you. I have been on methadone for to long and like you recently a fire has been lit I’m starting to talk with my counselor about trying to get off methadone. I’m just scared as can be though because I’ve heard horror stories about how bad methadone WDs are because of its long half life. Anyway congrats welcome and good luck.
It has been years since I was on methadone, I was still in using mindframe back then. I went to rehab 15 years ago to get off the methadone, cold turkey at 120mg, if remembering right and I hurt so bad, I made it thru the withdrawls , went into the world and started using again 3 months later. Its not that it didn't work for me, I just didn't give it a chance. I had take homes for the week so I shot it up the first few days.....Man that was a long time ago. Im glad it works for you. It never killed my cravings to use. Suboxone killed the want to use day 1.

jennjenn

Post by jennjenn » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:32 pm

I somewhat had the same experience with methadone because I abused it a lot during my active addiction. I do think that if there’d been a methadone clinic immediately in my area at the time I entered suboxone treatment, I probably would have tried that first but I wonder how successful I would have been only because of how much I used to like it when I abused it. I always thought in my mind that I wouldn’t have been satisfied with sticking to one dose and would have cravings for more but I have no idea..... I’m just going by how I was when I was abusing it. Thankfully I made the right decision for me and I do believe methadone can be such a lifesaver for other ppl, I just wonder if my abuse of it would have ruined it for me or if I’m overthinking it.
Jennifer

Tommy
Average Poster
Average Poster

Post by Tommy » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:57 pm

Thought I would update, or really not much of an update. I am still at 2 mg but I had the doctor switch me to 4mg films, AWESOME!!! they are 2x the size of the 8mg so I can cut them down to a lower dose easier. I was having mental games not being able to taste the orange since I was cutting them so small. With the 4mg I will be able to cut them down to lower dose pieces. I wish the 2 mg were larger like these but they are not.
There are things Im noticing since I have tapered from 12 to 2mg....I notice my hearing is better, Things seem louder, I am getting a sense of smell back, I have had a dull smell for years, and taste, I am getting bold flavors again....Maybe its just in my head but I don't think so. anyways, Ill check back soon.