Once, twice, or three times per day

What dose of Suboxone do you take? Does your buprenorphine wear off? Do you have opioid withdrawal symptoms?
jbwell
New Poster
New Poster

Once, twice, or three times per day

Post by jbwell » Sat May 23, 2020 12:36 pm

When I first started on Suboxone, my doctor had me taking 24mg. I took 8mg, 3 times per day. It was probably too much. I have since worked my dose down considerably, and I can now get by on around 6 mg per day. I am currently taking 3mg, twice per day. I take the 2 doses exactly 12 hours apart, at 10:00 AM and 10:00 PM, each and every day. I try to be extremely consistent, so that I don't get peaks and valleys, at least theoretically.

My issue is that I seem to still have some ups and downs with this. Some days I feel just fine, but it seems like every 4-5 days, I wake up in the morning so groggy that I can barely get out of bed. Even after I take my dose at 10:00 AM, I am still very groggy, my eyes feel very heavy, and I just feel completely run down. This can sometimes last multiple days. I have tried taking less, but going below 6 mg per day definitely brings on some withdrawal symptoms, so it seems as though I currently need to be at 6 or more to avoid withdrawal.

My questions are: Has anyone else experienced this much grogginess? Would I be better off trying to take it once per day, in the morning? Or, would I be better off taking it 3 times per day?

rule62

Re: Once, twice, or three times per day

Post by rule62 » Sat May 23, 2020 7:20 pm

The general opinion of most of the members here will say to reduce your dose as low as possible. A very slow taper should avoid the withdrawal symptoms. Go really slow and stay stable for at least 2-3 weeks before dropping again. I too was started on that high dose and now only take 1-2mgs a day. Most days just 1, and I feel fine. It took a year to get there. If you need a taper schedule we'll be happy to post one.

Welcome to the forum!
Don't take yourself so damn seriously

jbwell
New Poster
New Poster

Post by jbwell » Sun May 24, 2020 10:43 am

Thanks for your reply. I would like to continue tapering, but my question is really around the sheer exhaustion I am feeling now, and whether I would be better off taking it only once per day (in the morning), or whether taking it 3 x per day would help with that. It seems like once I got to the point where an individual dose was under 4mg, I started getting this exhaustion. Wondering if anyone else has dealt with this, and if they felt better by taking one, larger dose per day, rather than two smaller doses. I have also seen some posts about micro-dosing on here. While I wouldn't relish taking more doses per day, would it help with this feeling of lethargy?

If anyone has experience with this issue, I would greatly appreciate their input. I wish my doctor understood things a little better, but she has never taken it, so she really doesn't get some of the "side effects" that we go through. She means well and wants to be helpful, but it's hard for someone to really understand if they have never been through it before.

rule62

Post by rule62 » Sun May 24, 2020 4:09 pm

It was the lethargy that got me to lower my dose. Kept nodding off at work. Buprenorphine stays in your bloodstream for about 36 hours. That's why the doctors say to dose once per day. With my low dose I take half in the morning and the other half at 4PM. Seems to work for me. Even when I forget to take my morning dose I don't feel any withdrawals. It lasts a good long time.

You'll do fine once you get down to a decent dose if that's what you plan to do. Others here are just fine at the higher doses. To each their own. Find what works for you.
Don't take yourself so damn seriously

jennjenn

Post by jennjenn » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:20 am

Just my opinion, but why don’t you try taking your entire dose all at once in the morning except for maybe 2-3mg in the afternoon. I take 8mg. I take 6-7mg in the morning and when I get home from work I take the other 1-2mg. But some days I forget the extra or go to sleep early and that’s even better because I’ve actually taken less that day. IMO, either all at once in the morning and if you don’t think that’ll work then do a very small amount in the evening (or whenever). I think that initial all that’s prescribed dose should be taken at once unless you get antsy in the evening and if so just a small amount. I know that isn’t the ideal advice but this is our reality and we have to figure out what works for us as individuals.

Good luck!!
Jennifer