Hi

Share something about yourself, where you live, and what you like to do. Save your addiction story for that section.
LSD
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi

Post by LSD » Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:56 am

Hi

I live in Australia, I have taken heroin for 2 years snorting plus 1 year injecting and have now been on suboxone for about 1.5 years, 24mg a day. I really like it, it has let me get a normal life back (if heroin was prescribed and subsidized it would be the same). I think suboxone works if you want it to work. And if I really want to use heroin, I still can just by skipping my dose for a few days, then using and then going back to suboxone. I have still done heroin a few times since getting on suboxone, it didn't feel as good as I remember it feeling though (I think a good treatment/deterrence to heroin might be to give people suboxone and then let them inject heroin until their brain no longer associates it with feeling good since the suboxone blocks it, If I don't skip my dose for at least 3 days I don't feel much at all from heroin except stupidity for wasting money).
I don't even really get side effects from suboxone. Constipation yes but only for the rest of the day after taking a dose (I go to toilet in the morning and sometimes even manage to at night). The most annoying side effect is sometimes I wake up with a strong headache (If I take the dose at night instead of the morning I don't get a headache but I prefer the morning). I've also found that the headache doesn't happen if I exercised the previous day (I do BJJ, yoga and lift weights).
The worst part about suboxone that is out of my control though is drug tests for work. Even though buprenorphine is not a morphine derivative and so won't show up on a "standard" drug test unless it is specifically tested for, I have been refused work at one place I tried to get a job at because of it (they had zero tolerance to all drugs including any prescribed).
All in all suboxone has worked great and I probably won't go off it for the forseeable future.

rule62

Re: Hi

Post by rule62 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:39 pm

Hi LSD, and welcome here. A strange user name I must say. Hope it doesn't have anything to do with the drug. If so, we don't care anyway.

That is too bad about the drug testing. You're right, here in the U.S. most companies don't test for buprenorphine. Also, we have something called the HIPPA law and other ones that prohibit companies from discriminating against anyone taking a recovery drug like bupe. Not sure what laws you have down under but it may be worth some digging. It is so unfair when you're doing so well on it.

Glad to have you here. Keep posting.
Don't take yourself so damn seriously

jennjenn

Post by jennjenn » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:32 pm

Welcome LSD!

Are you doing counseling with your buprenorphine treatment? If so awesome, if not you definitely should. At a year and a half (I think that’s how long you said you’ve been taking this medication but I may have overlooked it) I wonder why you’re still feeling that want to use heroin. Yes, we still think about it of course but stopping suboxone to use (especially more than once) is a bit more serious and I wonder if you’ve addressed that with your counselor or doctor? Are you still around ppl that use periodically? Is it from stress? Like, what is happening usually at that time that makes you want to use........ just something to think about because yes you are still somewhat protected with suboxone in your system, but it’s still dangerous out there right now. In my area people are selling marijuana with methamphetamine in it so they’re literally failing their urine screens for both drugs. It’s crazy some of the things going on right now. They have no idea until they’ve already done it.

I’m glad you found this treatment and it’s helping you feel normal again! I never thought it would be possible to feel 'normal' again. Peace of mind is so amazing and I’ll never take it for granted again. Heroin is not an easy thing to stop and you should be so proud of yourself :)
Jennifer

LSD
Average Poster
Average Poster

Post by LSD » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:58 am

rule62 wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:39 pm
Hi LSD, and welcome here. A strange user name I must say. Hope it doesn't have anything to do with the drug. If so, we don't care anyway.

That is too bad about the drug testing. You're right, here in the U.S. most companies don't test for buprenorphine. Also, we have something called the HIPPA law and other ones that prohibit companies from discriminating against anyone taking a recovery drug like bupe. Not sure what laws you have down under but it may be worth some digging. It is so unfair when you're doing so well on it.

Glad to have you here. Keep posting.
It was for a job in the mines. Getting a job in the mines is like winning the lotto (entry level jobs pay like $75000 per year, some people are paid $150k to 300k per year), so they can be as strict as they want when hiring.. They have a complete zero tolerance to any drugs, even antidepressants and paracetamol etc. You cannot be on anything. My situation there was not unique, others who have been on suboxone have quit for the job. They said I could reapply if I got off suboxone but I don't think I could.
I plan on getting a job doing Security and studying at University after this lockdown ends. Nowhere near as much money as the mines but it will at least be something I want to do rather than just doing it for the money.

LSD
Average Poster
Average Poster

Post by LSD » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:12 am

jennjenn wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:32 pm
Welcome LSD!

Are you doing counseling with your buprenorphine treatment? If so awesome, if not you definitely should. At a year and a half (I think that’s how long you said you’ve been taking this medication but I may have overlooked it) I wonder why you’re still feeling that want to use heroin. Yes, we still think about it of course but stopping suboxone to use (especially more than once) is a bit more serious and I wonder if you’ve addressed that with your counselor or doctor? Are you still around ppl that use periodically? Is it from stress? Like, what is happening usually at that time that makes you want to use........ just something to think about because yes you are still somewhat protected with suboxone in your system, but it’s still dangerous out there right now. In my area people are selling marijuana with methamphetamine in it so they’re literally failing their urine screens for both drugs. It’s crazy some of the things going on right now. They have no idea until they’ve already done it.

I’m glad you found this treatment and it’s helping you feel normal again! I never thought it would be possible to feel 'normal' again. Peace of mind is so amazing and I’ll never take it for granted again. Heroin is not an easy thing to stop and you should be so proud of yourself :)
I don't try to think about my addiction at all. Suboxone lets me be productive (more productive than I think I could be sober actually). I've tried to quit heroin cold turkey and have I think about 5 times but always go back to it. Suboxone lets me go back to it if I really want to for a while but not lose my life in the process. I just view myself as having some sort of medical condition which requires I take suboxone to live a normal life. If I wasn't on suboxone I would be on heroin no doubt. Suboxone is also doubles as a mini antidep/antianx drug without the side effects (like suicide, weight gain etc).

I consider myself fairly competent at things I try and have managed to quit alcohol, benzos and cigarettes before no problem. But heroin is imposssible. I figure if I could quit heroin I would of found a way by now but it doesn't exist so I don't worry about it and just move on. Maybe in the far future when I've built a solid life and lost complete contact with anyone I know who can get heroin (there are no open air drug markets in Australia, you can only get heroin through people who use heroin, and even then I think the communities are pretty small) and I have a family or something I'll taper off the suboxone.

I don't go to a psychologist or talk to anyone. My doctor checks up on me every 3 months but thats more so just to make sure my lifestyle is stable so they can keep writing scripts.