1.5mg withdrawal

Will methadone and buprenorphine together cause withdrawal? How do I stop precipitated withdrawal? What dose of buprenorphine is best? Do I have to be in withdrawal to start Suboxone?
BL27
New Poster
New Poster

1.5mg withdrawal

Post by BL27 »

Hello all
Began Buprenorphine 2mg tablet mid-January this year. Promoted by my desire to get off hydrocodone prescribed for chronic pain as disabled vet. My initial dose was 0.5mg and was tritrated up to 1.25 mg until last week. The VA was going to use for pain control. I decided last week that I wanted to stop everything since I’ve not been drug free for years.

So over a course of 6 weeks, I went from 0.5mg sublingual once a day, to 1.25mg sublingual once daily. I was only on the 1.25mg daily dose for 3-4 days . Stopped the hydrocodone when started on the buprenorphine.

So the VA put me on a step down taper of 1/2 tab (1mg) daily x’s 5, (I’m on day 4 now). I then go to 1/4 tab (0.5gm) daily for 5-6 days, then 1/4 tab once every three days if needed.

I’ve read horror stories about withdrawal symptoms so much of my anxiety is anticipating what will happen when I stop.
Anxiety is primary problems now. No G.I. Problem. A little restless leg one night.

In your personal experiences, does this sound like any dramatic cessation of buprenorphine, or might I expect mild symptoms of some sort. You comments are appreciated and valued. Please let me know if I left any needed information. Thank you
rule62

Re: 1.5mg withdrawal

Post by rule62 »

IMO, it seems a bit rushed. We've learned the hard way that slow drops work better. Another problem is the tablets. See if they'll give you the films as they are a lot easier to cut into small pieces. Normally we suggest a drop of no more that 10-20% every 2-3 weeks to give your body a chance to adjust without feeling withdrawals. If that's the way they want you to do it and you have no choice then I guess you'll just have to cooperate.

Let us know your progress.
Don't take yourself so damn seriously
BL27
New Poster
New Poster

Post by BL27 »

rule62 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:52 pm IMO, it seems a bit rushed. We've learned the hard way that slow drops work better. Another problem is the tablets. See if they'll give you the films as they are a lot easier to cut into small pieces. Normally we suggest a drop of no more that 10-20% every 2-3 weeks to give your body a chance to adjust without feeling withdrawals. If that's the way they want you to do it and you have no choice then I guess you'll just have to cooperate.

Let us know your progress.
Thank you and I will let you know how it transpires.
This is the VA and apparently they didn’t carry the film. I was just given a razor cutter with the pills. From what I’ve gleaned from different posts is that the severity of withdrawal symptoms varies person to person, with no way to predict the course.
Thank you for moderating this helpful forum?
docm2
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Post by docm2 »

You didn't say whether or not you have an addiction diagnosis with the VA.
If not see if they would be willing to use the pain management forms of Buprenorphine (Belbuca - a buccal patch) or Butrans (a skin patch). These can get much lower doses and the patch allows a gentle taper.
Good luck