Panic attacks? After 2 years

Does Suboxone hurt teeth? Why does the film taste bad? Am I high on Suboxone? If you have side effects to buprenorphine, discuss them here.
Stopgap
New Poster
New Poster

Panic attacks? After 2 years

Post by Stopgap » Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:02 pm

Hi, I'm new to this so hopefully I don't make this too long. I've been on Suboxone 12 mg a day for a little over 2 years. Up until now it has worked fine, the only side effects have been headaches occasionally and constipation. Starting this year, around February, I had what I can only call a panic attack. I was in my car reading before work. Took my 12 mg about an hour before. Then I got this feeling that something wasn't right, it came on quick and before I knew it my heart was pounding out of my chest and because of this I started to panic. It lasted about 5 minutes then slowly went away. Then nothing. Well these past 2 months I started getting weird effects like throat pain, ears popping, almost yawning but not quite, feeling like I can't get a deep enough breath, and then the attacks. I had one back in July while driving, same bad feeling about an hour after taking 12 mg, then heart pounding, loss of blood to hands and feet, thought I was going to die. Then a week later I had another. I got a new doctor who prescribed hydroxyzine in case of more attacks and visit with psychiatric np. Well I cut my dose to 8 mg, skipped a day took it again, both times feeling not right but no attacks. Third day, driving and I had another again about an hour after taking. Lasted about 5 minutes again. Then I waited 2 days and took 8 mg before driving up to a relatives house over an hour away with my father driving. I felt the attack coming on and took a hydroxyzine, it didn't work. I had the worst attack yet, my father pulled over and thought I would need an ambulance. Couldn't control breathing 4in 4 out wasn't working, heart pounding hard, panic. Just saw psychiatric np, cut my dose to 4 mg, and 5mg librium 10 minutes before taking Suboxone. Well it happened again, first day at 4 feeling wrong but no attacks, then second day another attack even after librium. I called psychiatric who had me take another librium and prescribed clonodine to take with it. I'm at my wit's end. I don't know if I should try switching to methadone, I've never taken it and I don't think my psych thinks it's a good idea, but I keep having these reactions even after lowering to 4 mg, and after 2 days off subs the wds start kicking in. It's so weird, I've been taking this at 12 mg for 2 years and now I don't know if my body has developed an allergy, or if my receptors are shot, but it's driving me nuts. If anyone has anything similar happening or any input it's all really appreciated.

DanOhioAwesome
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: Panic attacks? After 2 years

Post by DanOhioAwesome » Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:52 pm

I had a very similar situation with in the first couple weeks when I first was RX Suboxone. I went to ER. However nothing that extreme since then and that was 5 years ago. However within the last couple weeks I had what I feel like is high anxiety for no reason and I just don't know if I just have covid because I am vaccinated but I just have the mild symptoms but with no temp but like shortness of breath body aches. I suffer with constipation but that's also because of my diet that I have worked on but I had a really bad case of hemorrhoids about a month ago and now it's in my head because I have had some aches and pains do I have something wrong with my stomach and colon and by thinking that is that bringing on my anxiety? But yes I had that really bad panic attack years ago but nothing since I hope you get it figured out.

Stopgap
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Stopgap » Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:49 pm

Thanks. I know the constipation from this can be bad. Sometimes I would take something like metameucil if i went really long without going to the bathroom. Sometimes I will get the body aches if I wait too long between doses. Hopefully everything turns out okay with your stomach. I'm skipping days now at 4 mg because now I'm afraid to take it even with the librium and clonodine. Thanks to the long halflife I can last a day, but being at 4 mg I'm starting to get withdrawals. On the days I don't take it, no attacks, but when I do, it starts by feeling like it usually does, but around an hour the bad feeling, like being poisoned, starts then my heart just goes crazy and I've tried the breathing to control it but it just keeps coming.

DanOhioAwesome
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by DanOhioAwesome » Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:31 pm

Yeah I know the feeling it's def like a panic attack. Like impending Doom not sure if I spelled that right. Way back when I did go to ER for that everything checked out healthy for my heart blood pressure etc so they gave me some type of anxiety or antidepressant but I chose to not take it. I'll get anxiety or slight panic attacks every now and then. like if something bad health-wise happens to someone my age that I know very well any type of ache or pain or unpleasant feeling I instantly get this impending doom feeling is if like I need to go get checked for every illness possible. It's crazy how strong our minds are. A close friend of mine who was also on Suboxone about 3 months ago started getting very very tired and having swollen lymph nodes. Initially nothing was coming back they weren't sure what it was they thought maybe an allergy. He's in ICU now non Hodgkin's lymphoma cancer getting continuous blood transfusion cuz nothing sticking. We are both 39. So of course a slight pain in my stomach after getting that information about him has made me full of anxiety this last week.

So I guess my point is our brains manifest so much stuff making its full of anxiety panic attacks. I'm definitely not saying it's in your head you're definitely experiencing what your experiencing but maybe you've associated Suboxone with those Panic attacks and almost fear it in a sense. I'm also not a doctor I am far from it. Lol I wish you the best though.

Stopgap
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Stopgap » Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:33 pm

Thank you, yeah our brains can do some pretty weird stuff. I'm not sure what's causing this, but I tried going into an inpatient hospital for a few days to try and see if methadone might work. I was at a really low dose, 20 mg, and the first day I felt fine, but the second day I woke up at 5 in the morning and it felt like my whole body was going to seize up, I could barely walk to the nurses station and tell them. It passed after about an hour but I still didn't feel right. So now I'm out of the hospital and waiting to get into a methadone clinic, and not really sure I want to be on it, having to go there every day and what not. But right now I can't even tolerate 2 mg of the Subutex they switched me to anymore without my heart racing, ears popping and all of the other weird effects.