Suboxone and reflux

Does Suboxone hurt teeth? Why does the film taste bad? Am I high on Suboxone? If you have side effects to buprenorphine, discuss them here.
TakeThat
New Poster
New Poster

Suboxone and reflux

Post by TakeThat » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:49 am

Hello everybody. Been a lurker around here for a number of years now, and this place played a big part in giving me the courage to seek out Suboxone maintenance therapy.

With that said, I have a question: Has anyone had issues with reflux/GERD after spending time on Suboxone? I've been taking it for nearly seven years now, 16 mg a day the whole time. I know opiates relax the esophageal sphincter, and that can cause reflux, but I have a pet theory, which is this:

One of the reasons the "chewing and spitting" eating disorder is dangerous is because salivating starts the digestive process in the stomach. Now, I don't know about the rest of you, but when I use the films my mouth is filled with saliva every time. And I typically keep the film/saliva in my mouth for at least a half hour each time (I take the films one at a time because I feel like I just end up spitting them out because of all the saliva if I take them both at the same time). That's an hour, essentially, of just holding spit in my mouth, presumably kicking off the digestive process in my stomach -- which is typically rather empty when I'm taking the medicine.

Is it possible that this is, at least partly, the cause of my ongoing issues with GERD? I'm trying like hell to manage it with diet and a very low dose of an H2 inhibitor, but it has been a struggle.

I plan to test this theory by attempting to dissolve the films very quickly. Letting more saliva under my tongue at the outset and then spitting it out immediately. I may also eat food right before dosing.

Oh, and I used to swallow the saliva (ick), but that slowed down my digestion a ton, which made the reflux much worse.

Please, let me know what you think?

Thank you.

docm2
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Re: Suboxone and reflux

Post by docm2 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:51 am

The quickest way to test your hypothesis is to switch to the monthly injection, no daily dosing or saliva issues.
Could also start lowering your dose. Your receptors have pretty much the same saturation at 8 mg a day as at 16 mg a day.
PAX

TakeThat
New Poster
New Poster

Re: Suboxone and reflux

Post by TakeThat » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:52 pm

That’s a good idea. I’ll read more about it and then follow up. I will say, in the times where I’ve forgotten my medication and had to ration for a few days to 8 mg, I did have major trouble falling asleep after a few days on 8 mg. But yes, I understand that this is almost certainly mental. Thanks for the suggestion.