Sublocade as a means to an end

How to stop Suboxone? How long should I be on buprenorphine? Is Suboxone withdrawal bad? How do I detox?
nobozojam
New Poster
New Poster

Sublocade as a means to an end

Post by nobozojam » Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:52 pm

I wanted to ask if anyone has any thoughts/insight/experience on sublocade being more tolerable to discontinue compared to suboxone. My doc has suggested that the delivery mechanism of sublocade provides a more physiological taper compared to what one can achieve via (manual) sublingual delivery. Which I totally understand and believe to be true. However, I just wonder if that translates to a more tolerable discontinuation of treatment. She's encouraging me to make the switch, if for no other reason that it will be easier to stop taking sublocade compared to suboxone.

I'd really appreciate any comments. Thanks!

rule62

Re: Sublocade as a means to an end

Post by rule62 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:21 pm

Sit tight and wait for our doctor to respond to your question. I can give an opinion but that's all it is. It just seems to me that either using the films to cut down slowly or doing the liquid taper method would work best. Again, just my opinion.

Give it a little time. Our resident Suboxone doctor is very busy. Oh, and welcome to the forum!
Don't take yourself so damn seriously

docm2
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Post by docm2 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:53 am

Not 'The Doctor' (Dr. Who reference) but I'll take a shot.
Sublocade has a long period to wash out. I am not aware of studies yet that show its utility for a taper, but conceptually it makes sense. It is still present 12 weeks after the last injection.
Anecdotally I have heard of a couple people doing this. I would think your doctor would want to get you to steady state. The usual series is 300 mg, 300 mg and then 100 mg every month. Should be at steady levels after the 3rd injection.
From a behavioral aspect you would have eleminated the daily or twice daily dosing so that would be helpful as well. It is important to have done recovery work so you are prepared for the urges and cravings that will most likely return.
You should only be considering a change because YOU are ready and prepared to taper.

rule62

Post by rule62 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:12 pm

Thank you docm2! Wouldn't the Butran's patch also work well for tapering off? Considering it is in micrograms vs milligrams and would wear off very slowly.

Just my 2¢
Don't take yourself so damn seriously

docm2
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Post by docm2 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:37 am

In theory yes. But Butrans is for pain only, not addiction. Having been on Suboxone the pharmacy and insurance company may balk at switching to a 'pain' diagnoisis after being treated for addiction.
I've tried it twice and we ended going back to tiny doses of the films before stepping off.