Respectful argument for 90 sub RX

Anything about buprenorphine that doesn't fit somewhere above, fit it here!
DanOhioAwesome
Power Poster
Power Poster

Respectful argument for 90 sub RX

Post by DanOhioAwesome » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:33 am

Hello everyone and hope everybodies Sunday is going great!

So I am curious if there is a site or some state sites where I can see what legal rights I would have to respectfully persuade my doctor to allow me to just come every 90 days or getting a 90-day script? Like what the legal rules are for schedule III for each state or what is allowed so that I can't just be told BS and expected to just take it?

I live in Ohio. While I've been on Suboxone over The last 5 years I stayed clean, finished my degree had the same job for over 6 years and have done everything I'm supposed to.

Now that I'm making a career change back in school (online)getting my education license I just got hired as a permanent substitute for the rest of the school year.
So...with that being said
Showing up every 4 weeks on a Monday at 11 for Suboxone appt is no longer a easy option. The job I had before it was nothing for me to get to my appointments because it just worked out that way I had the luxury of being able to pretty much take like a 2-hour lunch if I wanted to.
I can't leave in the middle of the day as a teacher especially since I just got hired asking for one day every month is a big ask imo and I won't get paid either since as a sub I get paid per day worked. I don't get vacation or sick days etc.

It would be beneficial and just so much easier to deal with if I can get my script for 90 days and take one day off every 90 days. Definitely when I get hired as a teacher because right now I can just tell them I can't work this day but like I said I won't get paid which I would lose money especially since I'm paying $200 a visit.

So I know I'll just come at them with this reasoning I've made career choice change it just doesn't make sense for me to take a full day off just to go to a 15-minute appointment but I want ammunition so to speak if they try to hit me with a just can't do that I want to know if there's a site that I can look and reference to show that actually I can get a 90-day script they just don't want to etc.

My other choice is finding a diff doc and to a whole new place and start all over again. A few months back I looked into that and verified with this one office that I indeed would have to start all over even though they can see and check my charts and file that I've been a good Suboxone patient.

Anyways there that. Hopefully all that made sense 😂

Have a great day.

rule62

Re: Respectful argument for 90 sub RX

Post by rule62 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:22 pm

Good luck with that. I too have been with my doctor for 10 years and he still won't give me a refill. Plus, I wouldn't want to bring legal action for fear of him releasing me as a patient. What mine does is double my dose (I asked) so I don't need to come in every month, just every other. It's worth asking. Mine agreed.
Don't take yourself so damn seriously

DanOhioAwesome
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by DanOhioAwesome » Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:20 am

Rule62,

That's a good idea about doubling the dosage. My Dr is kinda a pusher of getting off completely so idk if he'd be game for this but it wouldn't hurt to ask. And to clear things up I didn't mean taking legal action i ment to have an educated argument so I can know if the Dr is just BSing me about what is "allowed and what isn't".

Dan

rule62

Post by rule62 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:06 am

Don't quote me on this but I think they were told not to do refills when they took the Suboxone class. There is no law saying they can't as others here have been successful getting them.

My doctor in the beginning said all his patients need to be off the medication in six months. That freaked me out. Then I got cancer (now cured) and he hasn't said a thing for years except how I'm doing with this recovery forum. He knows I'm a moderator here and I've invited him several times to come check us out but he doesn't . As long as I keep getting my script written I won't complain.
Don't take yourself so damn seriously

DanOhioAwesome
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by DanOhioAwesome » Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:21 am

Just once I got a refill. It was when I was going on vacation and he was having surgery and the best option was just giving me a refill.

Anytime i have a work or vacation issue he just either shortens my RX and has me come in earlier or will write 5 weeks worth.

docm2
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Post by docm2 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:04 am

Buprenorphine is a schedule III drug. No special requirements that are different from other drugs that are schedule III. It may vary depending on state but the DEA allows a month prescription and 5 refills.
After 6 months of demonstrated stability and an active recovery plan I transition to seeing patients every 2 months. At one year I sometimes go to every 3 months. Every practice is different.
There were no specific guidelines or recommendation to meet monthly when I took the training 8 years ago.
I have never heard from the DEA or our state board of pharmacy (manages the data base) that I am an outlier or not following current guidelines.

shalalagirl_2000
Average Poster
Average Poster

Post by shalalagirl_2000 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:08 pm

I live in Florida, and I see my doctor once every 3 months and he gives me a 3 month/90 day prescription. It's been that way for 4 years, I was on suboxone for 8 years before seeing him. (I switched docs because my doctor passed away). The doc I had before that, in the same area of Florida, had me seeing him every month for most of the time, then, I think he switched to 3 month appointments, but he called in a script every month for me. I passed all urine tests, and I never did illegal drugs and never took any precriptions that were not prescribed for me, I never took any narcotics or opiods of any kind besides suboxone.

I had to move to different states, temporarily due to my job, and my previous doctor fixed it so that I would have phone appointments and he called in my scripts to where I was - it worked fine in Colorado and Mass, but we had a problem in New York, so I had to fly home every month just to get my damn prescription, for over a year.

BUT, getting 3 months worth of Suboxone sent to the pharmacy is not always a good thing if you use Walgreens, due to their system. For the past 4 years that my doctor has been calling in 3 months scripts to Walgreens has caused MAJOR issues for me, (due to the fact that it's more than one script, it's 1 for each month, 3 total) and I just found out the cause a couple of weeks ago, but knowing the cause does not help, it happened again after a pharmacist and I figured it out. It has caused major anxiety & panic every time I have to refill my medicine, because every time I do, they wrongly tell me I have ZERO left, but it's wrong, and it takes sometimes days to get it straightened out, and once in a while causes me to have to go without my meds until they figure it out, which usually has to involve my doctor calling them - they listen more to him than to me, and figure it out - but they do not learn from it or change the issue.

It did not happen when I was on generic and could afford to buy the entire month's worth at a time, but after trying to take Dr. Reddy's and going into withdrawl (reported it to FDA), I have to buy brand name. (I did fine on the Mylan generic, but Walgreens will not order the Mylan for me, as Dr. Reddy's is cheaper, but it is dangerousk, and Walgreens and most other pharmacies do not care, so it does no good to send them proof, even from the FDA). But now that I buy brand name Suboxone, I can only afford to by 7 or 14 films at a time, so when I go in to refill again, instead of working off the active prescription, they start filling from one of the other month's scripts (because they don't click on it to see if any are left, and should know it because it's a different color, but, the heading says, "NO refills left" compared to the scripts without any films left say, "Zero refills left" and are in white.

So, depending on how often they skip to a new script, I call in to refill and they say you have no films left, but I do, as I keep track of exactly how many on my calendar. Most of the time, after talking with at least one pharmacy tech, then to a pharmacist, I end up having to have my doctor look up the info on his system, as he can see exactly what I've filled, because they tell me I have none left, and have even told me the scripts were expired, but the date on the scripts shows they are in between 1 and 3 months old (they expire in 3 months), and even though I point out the fact that the doctor sent the scripts in, in "June", there for should not expire until "Dec", they don't get it, they don't look at the history and add up the times I've filled and subtract that number from 30. So then my doctor has to call and fix it.

A pharmacist finally figured out why this was happening, and when I asked if it would happen again the next time I called, he said, "They should see it, it's right there on the screen" and I'll be dammed if it didn't happen again! Even though I knew what to tell them, it still took over 30 minutes to get a pharmacist to believe me and to LOOK, and right there it was, one script had only 16 out of 30 films filled, and the 2 other scripts had been used. So, I'm switching pharmacies. The problems I've had with pharmacies (I'm sure most everyone else on Suboxone has had the same) are ridiculous. Now, I've found a mail order pharmacy, Express Scripts, that carried Mylan - but I have to have a form filled out to make sure that when my dr sends in an rx, that they fill it with Mylan and not Dr. Reddys. There is a website that has stories about Dr. Reddy's buprenorphine, as a clinic in Nashville had so many patients who went into withdrawl that they set up a forum for people from all over to post, and it's a ton of people. Plus, I have found many medical journal papers and articles about how dangerous Dr. Reddy's is, also, the FBI has investigated and fined them many times, yet they are still continuing to make dangerous buprenorphine films.

Also, according to Florida law, you can "refill" one precription of Suboxone (fill parts of one month's worth) 5 times before you lose the remainder. I usually fill 7 or 14 at a time, so I never go over 4 refills.

DanOhioAwesome
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by DanOhioAwesome » Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:54 am

Shalalagirl

I stopped going to Walgreens a couple years ago because if a pharmacy was going to give me crap its usually a Walgreens.
For some reason whether it's an insurance issue, them thinking I'm too early when I'm not, or prior auth issues it's always Walgreens. My wife finally was like after the last issue a couple years ago "when are you going to learn your lesson about Walgreens stop going to them" 😂

Hopefully you don't have to deal with that headache again..

And flying home once a month just for a refill would get old and expensive..yikes!